Thinking about a S1000XR

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I have a 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere which I always wanted. I’ve had it 2 years and I have toured around Holland, Germany and Poland on it and also ticked off the 4 Corners of U.K. last September. It goes nicely, handles just fine and just does everything I want really well. But...... lately, I have had a hankering for either a Ducati Multistrada 1200S or a BMW S1000XR.

I started looking at Ducati’s but then found a very low mileage S1000XR at a killer price. I ride for pleasure and do two 10 day Continental trips each year all solo so come on, talk me into or out of these bikes. What is the dreaded vibration issue with the XR, how do they stack up for reliability and fuel consumption on tour, just tell me the good, bad and ugly facts about these bikes.

I went from 10yrs of 1200 GSAs - to the XR 3 yrs ago....... lighter, faster, smoother, nimbler - if that is what you want....... try and buy.

Great for round the houses, carries plenty of luggage (OEM, Givi, Shad etc) - so good on tour........ and goes like a stabbed rat!

Quick shifter is super-slick in operation - I believe far better than on the twins.

Invest in a decent chain, perhaps an oiler if that is your thing - and off you go.

Some people return to the GS, but so many don’t.

I went from a couple of years on a 2012 GSA TO a 2016 s1000xr back in feb. I’ve covered around 2.3k in that time. The bike does everything so well. Nice and light goes like fk. Handles unbelievably I’ve averaged according to the bike 42mpg does around 160miles to a tank. Better 2 up than the gsa I have bmw luggage which is great. I find the seat more comfortable than the gsa I’ve just ordered a bmw HP high. The engine is super smooth easily pull 6th at 30 with ease. But if you want the fun get it up to 7k and it’s brilliant. Mine had vibrations. But I changed the bar ends to evo tech and for me their are no vibrations at all now. Every body slated the xr for vibes I rode my mates multistrader 1200s gran tourismo fabulous bike but by fuck does it vibrate all through the seat etc I can’t believe people accept it!!! It’s character apparently . I’d say an xr is on the very sporty side of touring. I fitted Michelin road 5 I’m very impressed so far on life. The quick shift is the smoothest I’ve ever ridden super fast gear changes up and down I only ever use the clutch to pull away. If you want to go off road it’s the wrong bike for you. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above, px’d my GS LC for a XR triple black and I’m still in love with it�� super quick using the quick shifter and very nimble,have not noticed much of a vibration issue, but would prefer if the grips were a bit fatter, so need to get round to some grip puppies.

I also have a hankering for both the bikes you mention, never had a Ducati as I've always been troubled by their reliability (in the past) but the MTS is a stunning looking bike and the type of engine I like. As for the XR, not owned one but ridden and tested one, absolute fucking missile and have been watching reviews of the new model for the last few days, but fuck me, what is the battleship grey colour all about.

Vibes are horrific of the xr though, out me off buying one when I tested it a few years back, they say the new model has eradicated them.

I had a Super Ten from 2011 to 2015. Downsized after a serious illness to a Tracer. Lovely engine but I got fed up with the bargain basement suspension. I tried an XR in 2016 but did not get on with it. I bought a R1200RS and kept the Tracer for commuting. Then swapped the Tracer for a Triumph Explorer. Didn't gel with that. Nice engine but like the Super Ten, too heavy and really high centre of gravity. Swapped the Explorer for a factory lowered, 2016 reg XR. Still have the RS as well.

For me at 5'8" the low version was a game changer. The riding position is quite comfy. It already had the posh HP seat. Not as comfy as the RS but I have toured on it with a trip last year to Alsace, Black Forest & Ardennes. We were there when France had the 43C heat wave. The XR runs very hot and blows hot air at your ankles. Not problem normally but cooked my skin a bot in that extreme weather.

My bike is a fairly early one, May 2016 but has the rubber bits added to insulate the bars. I don't notice any excessive vibes. I'm doing about 4000 miles a year on it. Just leisure use as the RS is my commuter.

The bike is very quick. Deceptively quick. One thing I found when riding back in 2015 is that it does not seem to pull from low speed. This is just because the power delivery is less of a thump up your arse like you get from a big twin. Look down at the speedo and you will see the number are advancing quickly and the rev counter needle is rotating. To get the best out of the bike rev it, lots.

The electronics are excellent. Cruise control is very good. Quickshifter is the smoothest I have used, especially compared to my boxer. You can turn off the nannying aids if you feel the need to explore the shrubbery or want to brag to your mates about being a hero.

Petrol consumption you ask. Yes, my bike uses some petrol. No idea at what rate. Don't care.

Reliability. Nothing has gone wrong except the OE battery only lasted 4 years the bastard. Replaced with an Exide at a heady cost of £42. Service costs are reasonable except for the one at 18,000 miles. Mine is due soon. Cotswold have quoted £650 as it involves the valves & fork oil replacement. Might check the out indy chap in Stroud. Bear this in mind if buying a used one with a few miles on it.

I am greedy and have 2 very good bikes. I think if one had to go it would be the XR. Probably as the RS is a bit more comfy and has shaft drive. The RS is also prettier in the lupin blue. colour.

Does anyone have the BMW extended warranty and is it worth it?

So far, everyone has told me exactly what I wanted to hear, just the thought of this bike gives me that little tickle in my stomach and it sounds just like what I need!

I have said this so many times now but the XR is IMO the best bike BMW make

AS fast as a fast thing comfy super handling etc etc as most have said and mine had no vibes ( well it did but in such a narrow band it didn't matter) heated grips on the early ones were shite

My only fault was its performance
It was only working at its best at go to jail speeds or at least that was where the fun started get it in to double figures on the rev counter and it was alive

I would go out and do my best to thrash it and when I put it away it sort of looked at me and said was that the best you could do !

For me the fun is torque and grunt below 100 mph, that smile it puts on your face when that big low down wave of torque propels you forward The XR lacked that.

I went from the XR to a Ducati Hypermotard and then to a KTM 1290 GT now the multistrada 1260 which for me is the perfect marriage of all those previous 3 bikes

Almost the speed of the XR, almost the hypermotard steering and handling and the pull of the big twin

They are not to everyones taste as we are all different I loved the XR but it would have jailed me

The very thing that puts me off IL4's, I'm far too old and lazy for that stuff nowadays.

that was certainly the case for a CBR600 I owned. With a 1 litre IL4 with 160bhp you can ride it like a twin - stick it in 4th and it will go from walking pace to, "no comment, officer" all day

just a lot of fun having a mad 20 minutes or so (I'm knackered after any longer) revving the tits off it.

that was certainly the case for a CBR600 I owned. With a 1 litre IL4 with 160bhp you can ride it like a twin - stick it in 4th and it will go from walking pace to, "no comment, officer" all day

just a lot of fun having a mad 20 minutes or so (I'm knackered after any longer) revving the tits off it.

I've had numerous IL4 sports bikes and they all needed revving and it's not my bag now, hence why I'm a twin convert, IL4's just don't have the pull that twins have in that, below a ton range and as much fun as above a ton is, it's license losing, jail educing fun I'm not to keen on.

XR is great, so's the Multi... there isn't really a loser there. SWMBO prefers the pillion on the Multi as it's a bigger seat and there's a bit less of a cramped position. She's not a fan of BMW seats, I got the XR to improve on the HP4 for her and she's not right impressed. Multi is her favourite out of XR, GS and Multistrada.

Can't say anything negative about the XR though, epic bike!

XR is awesome! Went from a 2016 to a 2016 XR. Was underwhelmed on the GS (and was a huge fan previously of older models) Only witnessed at the rev range around 70mph on the motorway but this can be avoided! Great build quality, actually had less hand tingling than on my GS too. Made me smile every time I rode it! DO IT!!!

I loved my XR, but as others have said, it’s at its best when you’re revving the pants off it. It’s fine at slower stuff, but comes into its own on fast open roads.

I traded the XR for a KTM 1290S, which has the same power as the XR but with more torque, and now have a 1260 Multi, which also has the same power and more torque as the XR, but has the weight lower than the KTM, so is more manageable to move around.

I’ve not ridden the 2020 XR, but next time I’m in the market for a bike, I’ll have a go on one.

Worth every penny !

Have you had a look at. the price of a specced up BMW recently ?

Have you looked at the price of a specced up XR ???

46f56e74ae998e920c29922bf54c6e35.jpg

It's people like you that have allowed companies like them to put whatever price they want on their bikes, fucking madness.

And BMW riders haven't and they have allowed the quality to become piss poor

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 09.08.50.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 09.08.50.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 461
I was referring to all these companies not just Ducati, they have been given a free hand to add whatever they want and the stupid public believe they need all these gizmos, I mean, cornering lights ffs, hill start, dynamic super carlos fandago suspension setting :blast

Back
Top Bottom