Checking in from San Francisco

Welcome from here.

some call Scotland the epicentre, others know it’s a haven for red haired celts and midges. Haggis, Single Malt and the M74 are the only good things to come out of the wee Crankies fiefdom.
You're saying this like it's bad, or your just jealous.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Greetings from not so glamorous London suburbs.

Like the Laguna Seca pic. We actually need pictures of you either a) getting some air off of one of SF's many jumping opportunities or b) weaving up that crazy winding little road, whatever it is called.

:beerjug:

Welcome!

Your picture overlooks Turn 5.

My favourite place is Turn 12.

;)

Welcome along Tom. What part of the city are you in? My daughter lives on Taraval in the Sunset just a few blocks from the ocean and I'm lucky enough to get out there at least once a year. It's a nice place to be.

Welcome along Tom. What part of the city are you in? My daughter lives on Taraval in the Sunset just a few blocks from the ocean and I'm lucky enough to get out there at least once a year. It's a nice place to be.

Nice, Aidan. We live up over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Rafael. Great riding and hiking up here, and all on our doorstep. Have you done any riding when you’re out here? The riding is fantastic and lots of places rent bikes.

Nice, Aidan. We live up over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Rafael. Great riding and hiking up here, and all on our doorstep. Have you done any riding when you’re out here? The riding is fantastic and lots of places rent bikes.

When my wife and I were riding your city we were lucky we were two riders so we quickly discovered not to be in the middle of your lane when cresting one of your very steep roads - that's where the oil leaks collect!

One less bike rental place as of last week when Wolfgang at Dubbelju announced that he's shutting up shop. I've rented GSes from there on a couple of occasions and they did great customer service.

If you're in San Rafael, do you happen to know my friend Gwynne who used to work for Dubbelju and runs a marine salvage business...?

Welcome Tom :thumb I was in San Fransisco a week or so after the earthquake of 89, I was expecting total devestation but saw very little damage apart from (sadly) the collapsed freeway.

I drove up from LA on route 1 and stayed in the Fort mason YHA near Fishermans wharf had a great time beautiful city.

I mistakenly went to a 24/7 supermarket to buy my dinner on thanksgiving, it was shut :blast

On leaving I remember it was pissing it down, i wanted to say i'd driven over the Golden gate bridge so we left via the bridge was probably the scariest driving experience of my life couldnt see a bleeding thing utterly terrifying.

Other than that had a great time :D

One less bike rental place as of last week when Wolfgang at Dubbelju announced that he's shutting up shop. I've rented GSes from there on a couple of occasions and they did great customer service.

If you're in San Rafael, do you happen to know my friend Gwynne who used to work for Dubbelju and runs a marine salvage business...?

Yeah, was bummed when Wolfgang closed up - had friends come in for my annual Death Valley ride and rent from him. I don’t think I’ve met Gwynne. Does s/he ride with the BMW club here? I’m a member of the BMW MOA NorCal club (that’s the BMW-sanctioned owners group). Lots of camping rides through the warmer months. Great people.

Yeah, was bummed when Wolfgang closed up - had friends come in for my annual Death Valley ride and rent from him. I don’t think I’ve met Gwynne. Does s/he ride with the BMW club here? I’m a member of the BMW MOA NorCal club (that’s the BMW-sanctioned owners group). Lots of camping rides through the warmer months. Great people.

Gwynne is Thumper on BARF. She doesn't ride a Beemer. She's a bit too vertically challenged for that.

Death Valley - are you talking about Death Valley Daze or....? I have a buddy who works for Apple who does some of these organised things like the Range of Light.

You may have seen a GS with a G SQUID license plate.... :D

I have ridden some there Tom as SF was the jump off for a coast-to-coast ride back in 2010 so I have ridden the Martin headlands and up Hwy1 past Point Reyes Station.

Farthest up I have been is Geurneville where we stayed in a funky hotel in the redwood groves. I have been to Sonoma and Napa too but when my daughter gets her act together and buys a house with a garage then I'll have a bike over there.

Gwynne is Thumper on BARF. She doesn't ride a Beemer. She's a bit too vertically challenged for that.

Death Valley - are you talking about Death Valley Daze or....? I have a buddy who works for Apple who does some of these organised things like the Range of Light.

You may have seen a GS with a G SQUID license plate.... :D

Thumper - yes I believe I’ve seen her around BARF. (Love that forum). I haven’t been to DV Daze or the BMW Airhead Rally (or are they the same?). There are a number of organized runs/rallies down there, including our own BMW club’s annual meeting run down there end of March. Camping at Furnace Creek. I usually skip that because I have been leading my own group ride down there for last 10 years - just friends of mine - usually six to ten bikes. Started out as a four-day boys run on Harleys. Around 1200 mile loop down the coast, then across to DV, then up back side of the Sierra, then over one of the passes south of Tahoe and home. I’ve had mates fly up from Oz to join. They were going to come up again this year but we had to cancel cuz of the ‘Rona.

Our club organizes the ROL every year (I think it started it). Don’t recall G SQUID plate - what’s name? I probably know him/her (Mark???). I like our 49er rally better - you stay put. I don’t like breaking camp and setting back up every day, which is what you do on the ROL. Did it once - I’m good.

I have ridden some there Tom as SF was the jump off for a coast-to-coast ride back in 2010 so I have ridden the Martin headlands and up Hwy1 past Point Reyes Station.

Farthest up I have been is Geurneville where we stayed in a funky hotel in the redwood groves. I have been to Sonoma and Napa too but when my daughter gets her act together and buys a house with a garage then I'll have a bike over there.

I live in Marin, so all that is on my doorstep - those are my local roads. West Marin has some outstanding riding up Rt 1 along the coast, and inland through the redwoods. Guerneville is along the Russian River - that’s a lunch run for us. (Even Yosemite is a lunch run for us). Sonoma/Napa is a great spot to base from, too - about 30 mins from here. Lucky daughter to live there.

Don’t recall G SQUID plate - what’s name? I probably know him/her (Mark???).

My buddy Jack. He's Irish, works for Apple in Cupertino. Rides a white, blue and red twin cam Rallye and a KTM, at least that was what was in the garage in San Jose when we stayed there last August.

Hi Tom
A fair few of us from this forum have been over on trips organised by our very own
Seargent Bilco ,of this parish .
Starting out at Santa Rosa , to the top Deadhorse n back ,or Alaska then south .
The BM operation over At Windsor was very helpful :thumb2 .

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about Wolfgang closing down, rented from him years ago, really nice helpful and friendly guy.

Hi Tom
A fair few of us from this forum have been over on trips organised by our very own
Seargent Bilco ,of this parish .
Starting out at Santa Rosa , to the top Deadhorse n back ,or Alaska then south .
The BM operation over At Windsor was very helpful :thumb2 .

Very cool. On my bucket list. Next time you’re doing it give me a heads up!

Back
Top Bottom