Thinking of trying a Goldwing.

stever1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After having 5 BMW's and the quality getting worse on each one, I'm going to try a Goldwing. AM I GETTING OLD ?????????. Anyone got one ?. I'd be happy to hear opinions, good or bad.

Never even considered one to be honest, just way too 'much'...... but I had considered an ST1300

The latest version is much better than previous, tried the manual and DCT, only problem for me is the price!

Never even considered one to be honest, just way too 'much'...... but I had considered an ST1300

Its because the Pan is no longer made I have to look elsewhere.

Gadget, How did you find them ? how many miles did you do ?

Had a 19 plate Goldwing Bagger from new.

Did 4,250 miles in 12 months and toured Portugal & Spain.

No issues whatsoever with the bike but took me a while to get used to it after years of GSs and GSA.

Loads of gadgets incl Navigation.

I did try the bigger version with DCT but I prefer manual.

The panniers are tiny so you'll need a rack which I had to buy for an older version and get it adjusted as there wasn't one for the newer model.

It's great bike but I've just sold mine.

Its because the Pan is no longer made I have to look elsewhere.

Gadget, How did you find them ? how many miles did you do ?

Only about 4 hours, swapped bikes midway, was offered a longer test, but as I was not likely to buy I didn't take it up.

Personally I preferred the DCT, but using the revs on the manual was addictive!

I had an 08 GL1800 for a couple of years. My thoughts;

It's too single purpose to be an only bike unless all you want to do is long distance touring.

Luggage space is surprisingly small and awkward shaped. Liner bags don't fill the panniers, leaving lots of little spaces.

They handle far better than they look as if they will.

They are all-day comfortable. More so than any other bike I have ridden.

The lovely Mrs Saint felt too remote from the riding experience, sat so far behind me. She was very comfortable, but didn't feel involved in the ride.

The latest model has even less luggage capacity and no armrest storage pockets. (Useful for pillions to sort toll road tickets, loose change etc.)

I'm glad I owned one. It was an itch that needed to be scratched. I wouldn't have another, even if I had a huge garage and a bank balance to match. Other bikes tour just as well, except for the comfort level, have better luggage capacity and are more fun when you get off major roads.

I confess to trying to go same route presently (DCT Touring model) - just to try something different (gearbox) . Had an older 1800 in the states which I used a few times over two years - bought cheap ($6000 or was it 7K ?) , sold very cheap (It's now back in Ireland) - last seen with 113,000 miles and it ran like a new one .... engine is lovely , rode like something much smaller. Comfortable , economical (50 mpg ++ all day - UK mpg)

First year it took me about 5 hours to change the air filter , at 98,500 miles ................. it had NEVER been changed (one owner bike from new) , it was stinking .................. bike ran exactly the same after FFS.

Did I mention the engine ?? ...................... aaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . Smooth , .................. noise ..........................

more later

Back
Top Bottom