Booster Plug

Pluribus

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of putting one on my 2018 Africa Twin. Anyone fitted one ? If so then is it worth doing ? Looking to soften the low speed rough as a badgers arse running.

P

Not the booster plug but I have RapidBike Easy fitted for the same reason to 2017 AT DCT.
Not necessarily 100% eliminates the issue but seem to work fairly good. But the side effect is a tad increased fuel consumption

Thanks. I will check out the RapidBike product. I did read the fuel consumption would suffer as the bike won't run as lean, but I can live with that.

P

Not the booster plug but I have RapidBike Easy fitted for the same reason to 2017 AT DCT.
Not necessarily 100% eliminates the issue but seem to work fairly good. But the side effect is a tad increased fuel consumption

I don't think it's rough as standard, hadn't eve thought of messing with the fuelling. Honda did a good job as standard.

That's interesting, my 2017 model was significantly smoother throughout the rev range than my current 2018 bike. This was more so low down, so I have also been looking at the options and the Rapid bike looks worthwhile. The exhaust note on the later bike is more throaty, which enhances the sensation of rough running and vibrations.

Be careful though, insurance companies take a dim view of anything which could potentially enhance performance that is not declared, so need to be clear what if any gains this gives so they can be advised.

Thanks Gsite.

I am finding that running in a 30 or 40 zone is the worst. Trying to hold a steady throttle/speed without surging/hunting is nigh on impossible.

How are you getting on with your new AT.

P

Loving it, glad I went for the manual version although the DCT was great, there were times where it was quite jerky at low speeds and small throttle opening. Had to fettle it with some back brake on low speed turns which felt counter intuitive.
Would be nice to have one of each, but Mrs GSite would quite rightly object (or so you would think).
Done about 1000 miles in the last month, so on balance my vote goes to the 2018 model.

Booster Plug 2010 R1200GS

so I am expecting my Booster Plug in the mail in the next couple of days and am excited to see the difference it will make.

Like many people who install or think of installing these, my GS starts fine, idles fine, revs and runs fine at speed and if accelerates almost perfectly if I'm on the throttle hard BUT...that modest / slow acceleration is crap with mini hesitations and flat spots with being the worst right at 3950-4000rpm where it really flattens out until I've pushed through it.

So, many reviews suggest that this low rpm BS will be helped with the BP...I am hopeful.

When I first got the GS ( never had one or even a boxer before ) I thought maybe this is an inherent 'boxer' thing but the more I rode the more I thought, this can't be right otherwise these GS' everyone raves about are sheit or there is something wrong with mine.
When someone told me about the Booster Plug my impression was that it was a fix for largely this "GS" problem but it seems people are using them on all bikes out here.

So, my question is, why the hell do all of these bikes, various years, various engines suffer this same / similar issue so as to require a Booster Plug to remedy? What are the manufacturers missing?

Back
Top Bottom