Harley size

Big Si

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A question from someone who is uninitiated in HD's

Aside from the Electraglide, which model is physically the biggest?

Depends what period - as a general rule the Touring bikes are the largest physically - but Harley have a habit of scrunching you up to the controls .......changing the seats, foot pegs and handlebars give you a million options.

Pre M8 dynas are a good size - again seats, controls - mid Vs forwards etc plus seat choice all offers tonnes of choice

Pre M8 Softails are more sit in then on .....You need to try again the golden triangle of seat/pegs/bars gives you tonnes of options..

M8 Softails are too small for normal Fat blokes IMO

HD use mostly female riders in all ad blurbs - suggesting they realise their mistake!!

Buy the platform you want - Dyna Softail Touring then get the golden triangle right for you Seat/Bars/Pegs

Job done

How big is “big” Si? There are a couple of us on here who could be fairly described as “well built”, and we have bikes that fit us....

Think Joe Marler (without mohawk) after he's been retired from playing for a few years. 6', 19st.:blast (saying that 3 st lighter than this time last yr. and counting)

Think Joe Marler (without mohawk) after he's been retired from playing for a few years. 6', 19st.:blast (saying that 3 st lighter than this time last yr. and counting)

So...not that big at all.....I’m bigger..and I fit on Harleys easily enough..as Twizz says.... just muck around with seats, foot rests and bars to suit....and he’s eleventy feet tall...

5’11” here and not too dissimilar in weight (a bit more maybe :green gri), roadking (Harley touring) fits fine with different bars and highway pegs.
Forward controls are a must imho unless you’re a short arse or like discomfort.

5’11” here and not too dissimilar in weight (a bit more maybe :green gri), roadking (Harley touring) fits fine with different bars and highway pegs.

I slightly disagree ...on my Road King, I have a seat that moves me up and back.....standard floorboards....very comfortable....

I slightly disagree ...on my Road King, I have a seat that moves me up and back.....standard floorboards....very comfortable....

Different method but same result, I’ll amend my previous comment to “change something because the standard position of everything is crap”
does that satisfy?

The Road Glide is probably the best for big blokes.

So...not that big at all.....I’m bigger..and I fit on Harleys easily enough..as Twizz says.... just muck around with seats, foot rests and bars to suit....and he’s eleventy feet tall...

I know, I've met him.;)

Touring floorboards are quite far forward as stock - you can also buy 2” forward relocation brackets - a longer brake arm and longer shift arm - this with a different seat ( I prefer Le Pera) really sorts it out

I have a 2003 road king, had been using the seat it came with, one which the pillion seat comes off, just put a pillow seat on from a late Evo and what a difference.

It's given the wife a comfy seat, given me a little support to stick me arse in, the slight draw back is that it's thrown me forward a touch which in turn has moved my foot more over the brake pedal so am stamping on it a little which I don't think is such a bad thing.
Think I will get used to rather than change back as it now feels better in corners.

Always amazes me how a seat can completely change a bike.

Seats make a huge difference.
When I demo’ed a Road King Special, I did find the riding position just a tad cramped. I’m 6’1”.
Sat on a bike in a US dealer fitted with a HD Tallboy seat and it felt much better.Ugly seat but it sits you back about 2 inches and up 1 inch. Also has much better pillion perch.
But it is ugly.
I subsequently ordered a new RKS with a Tallboy as an extra.
After advice on here I also ordered a Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs, which sits you back a similar 2 inches but it’s no higher.

OE seat :

d91910f3a4b9c85f6cdd3328033824ba.jpg

Tallboy seat :

892fb01c46c06c0b710bc7ce33851130.jpg

Le Pera :

a0066060e0e7a1bd79dd0a6847e40079.jpg

Tallboy next to Le Pera

519283c21efdacf1366ed7d38c238c95.jpg

Due to the Covid outbreak I’ve yet to use the bike on a decent length ride.
I will say that the Tallboy does seem the most comfortable initially but the Le Pera is much more substantial and weighty and I’m pretty sure it will be the one to offer the best comfort and support on a longer ride.

I’m 6 2” and just under 14 stone (just thought I’d get the dating site information out of the way :D) and find the standard set up on a Road King Special very comfortable (once I got used to the slightly strange angle of the standard bars).

I think anyone over 6 foot will find the new softail range a bit cramped but the touring range should be fine. :thumb2

You could look at Indians :hide, just had a look at their comparison page Vs HDs and most are bigger (not a lot) but ergonimacally they feel roomier.

Back
Top Bottom