Helmet Advice

bogey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

its time for a new helmet and am considering the BMW GS or the Arai Tour X4. Would be interest in any and all constructive comment , advice or tips.

B

Hi,

its time for a new helmet and am considering the BMW GS or the Arai Tour X4. Would be interest in any and all constructive comment , advice or tips.

B
The gs helmet is lighter has a much wider field of vision great helmet takes pinlock and doesn’t steam up the Arai is a good helmet had both you need to try them on

I’ve never had the BMW helmet but have probably had half a dozen Arai Tour X Variants over the years.
For me they are super comfortable and hold their inner shape very well. A new one never feels much snugger than the one I’m finishing with.
They have a fairly large aperture which helps me greatly if I chose to wear goggles when riding off road.

My current one has covered about 80,000 miles and is probably due replacement as the check linings a fairly worn.

And yes, I will buy another one. Plain white again.

If it were me it would be the Arai

The only thing I would say is ( and they may have changed this since I had mine) is to get some wheel balance weights and stick em on the underside of the peak to stop it vibrating / buzzing

Other than that IMO Arai are the best helmets

Oh and have a look who actually makes the BMW version ( I don't know) but it may help form a judgement

When I was looking at the BM helmet, my friendly sales assistant told me they were very noisy, he had worn his for 2 weeks, went back to his Shoei Hornet Adv. told me to either the Shoei or an Arai.... very quietly obvs! But, which ever fits the best! For me it was the Shoei

Oh and have a look who actually makes the BMW version ( I don't know) but it may help form a judgement

Well, whoever is making BMW helmets seems to be making a very safe helmet. If I remember correctly from the last test in Motorrad magazine (who use the Rhineland TuV testing labs), the BMW helmet had far lower HIC (Head Injury Criterion) values than the comparable Shoei or Aria helmets.
Please note - I am NOT saying that the Shoei or Arai are in any way unsafe (I use a Shoei Neotec2) - and they all exceed the basic standards. I am merely saying that some BMW helmets are built to a very high safety standard by their supplier.

Well, whoever is making BMW helmets seems to be making a very safe helmet. If I remember correctly from the last test in Motorrad magazine (who use the Rhineland TuV testing labs), the BMW helmet had far lower HIC (Head Injury Criterion) values than the comparable Shoei or Aria helmets.
Please note - I am NOT saying that the Shoei or Arai are in any way unsafe (I use a Shoei Neotec2) - and they all exceed the basic standards. I am merely saying that some BMW helmets are built to a very high safety standard by their supplier.

Who would have thought it ? A German helmet tested in a German lab by a German magazine came out top.....

I own and use both. The BMW one is considerably noisier but apparently well made. The Arai is also a lovely bit of kit but also, to me feels much more comfortable to the point of seeming luxurious.
It’s all very personal, no two people will see it the same way. I’ve also had the Nishua version that is a good helmet at a fraction of the cost, and yet again has won the Motoradd mag comparison test (German mag, German owners) so think what you will.

If safety is a concern, it seems to me that these helmets with their protruding peaks and chin pieces offer extra opportunities to impart rotational forces (the most dangerous) in the event of an accident. Not to mention their weight which increases momentum and encourages neck injuries.

I wear the lightest open face helmet I can get. Nice and cheap too.

Thanks guys for your input, whichever I go for I'll post back how I get on.

You can spend all the money you like on a branded helmet but the test for me is fit. If it doesn't fit it no use at all. Schuberth for me just fit.

I have an AGV AX-9 and really like it, light and very comfortable, with a real premium feel to it.

At the back end of 2018, I went out to buy an Arai Tour X4 and came home with the Shoei Hornet Adv as it was a much better fit. I've had an "Arai head" for ever - at least until they modified their shape for Europe 4 or 5 years ago - now their Sport Touring range does not sit as well as they used to. I find I now get a pressure point on my forehead which I never got on the previous shell shape. The Arai exception to that was the Chaser V that does still fit me - albeit in a larger size (No, I can't explain it either).
The Hornet is quiet, comfortable for long days and has pinlock etc. as standard. I'm very close to ordering another one as I know mine took a few bumps on an overseas adventure so I really should retire it.

Interesting about the Arai shape changes, my last few lids have all been Arai, but I’ve just bought a Shoei (Neotec 2) which seems to fit rather well. It’s not quite as snug as my Arai Axcess 2, but I’ve had it six years so it fits like a nice pair of slippers. Only reason for going with Shoei was I wanted a flip up and Arai don’t make them.

If safety is a concern, it seems to me that these helmets with their protruding peaks and chin pieces offer extra opportunities to impart rotational forces (the most dangerous) in the event of an accident. Not to mention their weight which increases momentum and encourages neck injuries.

That's why peaks are designed to break off in the event of impact.

MCN reviewed several "adventure" helmets this week. The Nexx did rather well.

I'm sure someone with more tech skills than me (my dog has got more tech skills than me :blast) can put the article up here.

Hi,

After having a look at each decided to go for the Arai in the end. Ordered Monday, Arrived Thursday. Initial impressions very good as Finish, Quality and Features seem to be top notch. Fits like a glove and feels really comfortable. Heres a few photos;

https://s750.photobucket.com/user/b...-4CC5-A093-0D678295AC97_zpsgo8jgphi.jpeg.html

https://s750.photobucket.com/user/b...-4763-B60B-8AF7EBD20D1A_zpsbybvcis0.jpeg.html

https://s750.photobucket.com/user/b...-456E-ACE8-1AFDE36DC89A_zps4oqu6v24.jpeg.html

Once I get to use for some longer stints will report back on findings.

HAt this stage though very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom