K1300GT brake failure

ChrisIOW

Reaction score
I have a 2009 k1300GT, 15,000 miles on the clock.
The Brake Failure indicator has come on, not flashing and no red or yellow triangle. All is fine until the bike moves and the indicator lights up.
The indicator came on after I was forced to do an emergency stop, brakes worked perfectly.

I have done the usual checks, brake pads, ABS sensors, fluid levels. The brake fluid has been replaced. When riding, the brakes appear to work correctly.
Can anyone advise what fault this light indicates. I cant find any information.
I contacted my usual service centre but they just said dont ride it and bring it in to be checked. My problem is that I live on the Isle of Wight and to get it transported to the mailand will be expensive.

Any ideas please.

Chris - are you on eurokclub.bike?

The previous model K1200GT (05-08) MY08 had ABS pump failures - see here - which left the light on permanently.

Reading that thread, check all the wiring to the wheel sensors for fraying/pinching (have you had tyres fitted recently?)

Also did you hit a pothole etc recently? That can derange the ABS pump power supply internally.

Check out euroKclub - lots of knowledge there.

HTH

A

Eurokclub is a good call for a bit of help. Where has this bike been? 15k miles in 11 years! I loved mine, hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for the advice, will check all those ideas. Battery was replaced last year and it hasnt hit any pot holes. I did connect a OBD11 generic reader via 10 way adaptor and it said there was no fault codes. Unfortunately it doesnt get used that much, a few trips around europe, last one was across Spain to our holiday home last year. Too many things in my life that need money and being almost 70 now the bike insurance is not at the top of the list unfortunately.

I have a 2009 k1300GT, 15,000 miles on the clock.
The Brake Failure indicator has come on, not flashing and no red or yellow triangle. All is fine until the bike moves and the indicator lights up.
The indicator came on after I was forced to do an emergency stop, brakes worked perfectly.

I have done the usual checks, brake pads, ABS sensors, fluid levels. The brake fluid has been replaced. When riding, the brakes appear to work correctly.
Can anyone advise what fault this light indicates. I cant find any information.
I contacted my usual service centre but they just said dont ride it and bring it in to be checked. My problem is that I live on the Isle of Wight and to get it transported to the mailand will be expensive.

Any ideas please.

I had the same thing happen on a K1200s after a very heavy emergency slow down from flat out on the German Autobahn. How I missed the van that pulled out I don't know but the brakes were fantastic and the warnings disappeared without me needing to do anything.

I was puzzled as to why the warning lights etc had come on because the brakes had thankfully very much not failed.

Apologies in advance, you have made sure that neither the abs/asc buttons have stuck ? Maybe worth making sure the switch is working, they are renown for failing.

Warning light comes on but doesn't flash if abs is deactivated. Although if you switch it off, then on and light is still on, it is abs fault.

Also check abs ring gap is ok, and visual check of wiring to sensors. You can also try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes, to see if that does anything.

Agreed about euroK, there is some good technical stuff.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom