Road Kings Bars

Guys at Oxford Harley moved mine back a tad. They were aligned with the front forks, but now they're about an inch further back. Not much, but had made a big difference in comfort for me at normal speeds as my arms are more relaxed.

Mine are exactly in line with the forks but looking at the images on the HD website and most other standard bikes, the bars are inclined back some more, which is what I want, so I'll try moving back an inch or so.
At least it'll be mod that (hopefully) doesn't cost a packet :spank

You lot all need grey indicators

I’m still looking how to do the rears without them looking shit.

The RKS has one piece units that can’t be changed. Smoked lens spray looks a bit poo if done badly, so might need to get mine done by my body shop pal, but not sure if I want to go as dark as you’d need to to get rid of the orange tint.

Why HD couldn’t just give us the same as the US rear lights I don’t know, it’d make it much easier/cheaper to sort out the orange blobs of shame. There are cheap Chinese versions of the rear lights, but usually the black is a crap match to the HD black.

They look nice, but probably too tall for me.
I find it a bit of a stretch to the bars on mine - I've fitted a rider backrest but can't actually put my back on it and reach the bars :blast

Think I'll have a go at tilting the bars back a bit. Looks like you just lift the 'road king' cap and use an allen key to loosen 4 bolts then tilt them back?

You can only get to The back two bolts, so if you’ve gone too mad tightening the front ones then you’ll have to take the front light out and remove the whole cover. The nuts that hold the cover on can be ‘challenging’ to your patience.

Talking of RK bars, or more bars in general, how hard would it be to get a set of chrome bars refinished black to OEM standard?

The bars I was considering for my not-yet-delivered RKS are discontinued in black and the ones that I found NOS on ebay sold before I had chance to buy them. They are however still available in chrome.

Talking of RK bars, or more bars in general, how hard would it be to get a set of chrome bars refinished black to OEM standard?

The bars I was considering for my not-yet-delivered RKS are discontinued in black and the ones that I found NOS on ebay sold before I had chance to buy them. They are however still available in chrome.

Not hard, a good painter could spray them, but it won’t be cheap.

I’ve had some parts powder coated and they are pretty much a perfect colour match, but the finish isn’t as smooth (it’s good, but not perfect).

Biggest issue with powder coat is the thickness, not sure whether that would be an issue on the bars.

Not hard, a good painter could spray them, but it won’t be cheap.

I’ve had some parts powder coated and they are pretty much a perfect colour match, but the finish isn’t as smooth (it’s good, but not perfect).

Biggest issue with powder coat is the thickness, not sure whether that would be an issue on the bars.

Indeed - not sure if the chrome/nickel would need to be stripped off first. I'd want to get them "right" as they are always there in front of you

Indeed - not sure if the chrome/nickel would need to be stripped off first. I'd want to get them "right" as they are always there in front of you

I think it would most likely need to be removed, but that’s for the painter to decide, not an internet warrior like myself :D

This might be a stupid question (but likely won't be the last).

If I were to go from a taller bar to a not so taller bar, is it necessary to change the wiring extensions or is there enough space in the hide the excess in the headlamp nacelle?

I went from a mini-ape set up to lower flatter Hollywood bars and all the wiring, brake lines and clutch cable worked just fine. I do however have a shorter clutch cable ready to fit to avoid the slight ‘ballooning’ of the original.

I went from a mini-ape set up to lower flatter Hollywood bars and all the wiring, brake lines and clutch cable worked just fine. I do however have a shorter clutch cable ready to fit to avoid the slight ‘ballooning’ of the original.

Cheers,

having looked at the fitment charts, I think the extension cables are all the same and the brakes/clutch might be a mere 1" too long. It's possible I might be able to do a bar swap without opening my wallet. Nah, that'll never happen!

This might be a stupid question (but likely won't be the last).

If I were to go from a taller bar to a not so taller bar, is it necessary to change the wiring extensions or is there enough space in the hide the excess in the headlamp nacelle?

The original cables and lines excess live in there so absolutely.

When I did my bars there was a cable tie holding it all in to the nacelle.

From stock to 12” mini apes (standard lines will do up to 14” depending on the bars with only small extensions required for the indicator wiring).

Hope this helps.

The original cables and lines excess live in there so absolutely.

When I did my bars there was a cable tie holding it all in to the nacelle.

From stock to 12” mini apes (standard lines will do up to 14” depending on the bars with only small extensions required for the indicator wiring).

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I'm really hoping I can try the other bars without spend.

But first the indicators...

Back
Top Bottom