Road Kings Bars

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I think I might possibly change the bars on my RKS as I do get shoulder ache with the stock set up.
I saw a Road King locally today and he had Wild One bars that looked a bit like Beach Bars but think they were either 508 or 518s,having looked at the website.

07f54dce017dff48e501926a4f1ba5bd.jpg

Whatever they were , they looked pretty nice and he said the riding position was much better .

Anybody here got any advice/thoughts on such bars ?

Ta muchly.

I have these on mine but a PITA to fit because of the rewiring through the bars.
I fitted them because of back ache (since got myself a rider backrest) and reverted to the standard seat (re-padded)
and binned the tall boy seat.
I'm getting on well with them in terms of comfort as I'm not reaching forward like I did with the stock bars and they
look quite good.
However, they feel a bit like holding a wheelbarrow due to the hand position compared to standard ones but don't
detract from the handling.

I have these on mine but a PITA to fit because of the rewiring through the bars.
I fitted them because of back ache (since got myself a rider backrest) and reverted to the standard seat (re-padded)
and binned the tall boy seat.
I'm getting on well with them in terms of comfort as I'm not reaching forward like I did with the stock bars and they
look quite good.
However, they feel a bit like holding a wheelbarrow due to the hand position compared to standard ones but don't
detract from the handling.

Ah ok, ta .
I’m 6’1” but even so , with my more spacious Le Pera seat , find the standard bars a bit of a reach.

Ah ok, ta .
I’m 6’1” but even so , with my more spacious Le Pera seat , find the standard bars a bit of a reach.

Same height as me. Another alernative would be mini-apes.
I had them on mine for a while and they were really comfortable. Took them off to fit my present ones
as I felt they were a bit S of A ish. Might give them another go as I don't give much of a fcuk these days.:D

Beach bars may look cool but I’ve seen them wobble the bike like a jelly fish at certain high speeds. Observing att who had them fitted to his Softail at Le Hog 2015 for example.

If I was going to change the bars on my RKS (am considering it for more comfort on long journeys) I’d be going down the route of standard bars from a FB. When I was looking for a RKS last year there was a 107 model with them fitted and they looked more comfortable. Didn’t buy that bike because I wanted the 114.

Same height as me. Another alernative would be mini-apes.
I had them on mine for a while and they were really comfortable. Took them off to fit my present ones
as I felt they were a bit S of A ish. Might give them another go as I don't give much of a fcuk these days.:D

My Police RK....came with “mini apes”.....not exactly SoA.....

Attachments

• 9821D39F-C991-4187-A814-105A54A651DC.jpg
    9821D39F-C991-4187-A814-105A54A651DC.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 428
Aren’t the stock bars on the RKS kind of mini ape?

Plus the angle of them does take some getting used to.

Attachments

• 2B2C89B8-06AC-4337-B05F-ECB9BB2311DC.jpg
    2B2C89B8-06AC-4337-B05F-ECB9BB2311DC.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 455
That’s a good idea I’ve heard of some that level them on the trajectory of the forks. :thumb2

Tricky’s bars look further back than mine.But I’m looking for something that is LESS reach than currently.I suppose I could try rotating mine back a bit-if I could work out how to take the blasted cover off.
Surely apes just raise the height more than they do bringing the bars any closer ?

I found the angle of the bars on my FLHS so acute it made riding for any length of time very difficult, so I had them cut and welded at a less severe angle. The mini apes on the FXDB were replaced with Hollywood bars from a Softail Slim; not perfect but much better.

Arsey,Are you the chief RKS road tester :D I am slowly compiling a list from you just in case I buy one.

bars

Older bike but have Fat Boy bars on mine very comfy.

Attachments

• bars.jpg
    bars.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 373
RKS with 12” mini apes.

Take a bit of getting used to but I like ‘em. They look a lot taller in the picture than they actually are, I’m 5’11 and they are just below shoulder level on me.

I’d probably go for 14” if I was to change them and have them slanted back a bit more.

Attachments

• A2E71A57-0C33-4670-AA61-F124201F8E08.jpg
    A2E71A57-0C33-4670-AA61-F124201F8E08.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 401
That an anniversary model?

Yep the one with the heath rack.

Not having had it that long, and you seeming to know what you are talking about, may I pick your brains.

Just changed the seat to an old Evo style pillow seat, the wife likes it and I must say it is more comfy for me too, but it has thrown me forward a touch and it seems that I am stomping on the brake pedal, I have always found it awkward since owning it but am OK with getting used to stuff.

My question is I see alot about extended brake pedals, do you reckon one may be worth a try, as I find it a little awkward lifting me foot up to get to the brake?

Back
Top Bottom