Wrist ache after fitting bar risers

Nutty

Reaction score
This is a first, but since fitting bar risers last week, I noticed I was getting a bit of wrist ache today, after doing nearly 200 miles.

The risers are better for my back, but I don’t want to knacker my wrists. Anyone got any tips? Maybe rotate the bars forward or backwards?

This is a first, but since fitting bar risers last week, I noticed I was getting a bit of wrist ache today, after doing nearly 200 miles.

The risers are better for my back, but I don’t want to knacker my wrists. Anyone got any tips? Maybe rotate the bars forward or backwards?

Watch this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had bar risers on my GSA for a while...mainly to try for a bit more additional comfort, but after rotating the bars / tweaking them, I found them giving me more aches, so ended up going back to ‘standard’ and removing / selling the risers in the end. You never know till you tried huh !!

I’ve also got a Ducati Monster.....in a way, I could do with risers on that for better comfort, but not sure if they do such a thing, or it would make the bike pants !

I had bar risers on my GSA for a while...mainly to try for a bit more additional comfort, but after rotating the bars / tweaking them, I found them giving me more aches, so ended up going back to ‘standard’ and removing / selling the risers in the end. You never know till you tried huh !!

I’ve also got a Ducati Monster.....in a way, I could do with risers on that for better comfort, but not sure if they do such a thing, or it would make the bike pants !

I’ll try rotating them in the clamps a bit, but have had bar risers on all my bikes, so automatically fitted them to this bike. I find the more upright position better on my lower back, but don’t want to add wrist problems to the list, so will take them off if they’re still causing aches next time.

I'll prolly get another set for the GS

i prefer a more upright style, it stops me leaning forward and applying weight to my wrists

+1

when bendy toy was on here, he said to me, there should be a straight line, from your shoulder to the back of your hand when gripping the bar

Which makes me think that rotating the bars could well be the solution. :thumb

Have you changed the seat.
It is well known due the angle of the surface that you sit , that it pushes your forward towards the tank.
This in turn could contribute to the pressure on your wrists?
So either a comfort seat or having it modified is supposed to help a lot I’ve read.
Maybe the bars are fine ;)

Have you changed the seat.
It is well known due the angle of the surface that you sit , that it pushes your forward towards the tank.
This in turn could contribute to the pressure on your wrists?
So either a comfort seat or having it modified is supposed to help a lot I’ve read.
Maybe the bars are fine ;)

Nope, the seat is the same. All I've done is fit bar risers. I had no aches for the 700 odd miles before I fitted them, then yesterday noticed an ache towards the end of the ride. Comparing a couple of pictures I've taken of the bike, they seem to appear rotated higher now, so I'll rotate them down a bit and see if that does the trick.

but have had bar risers on all my bikes, so automatically fitted them to this bike.

Isn’t that a bit daft to automatically fit them to every bike ?
Surely it would be sensible to try a new bike for a while before fitting risers as every bike is different and it’s not a given that the riding position won’t suit you from the off ?

Nutty, I bought a 950S Multi (basically the same) and though I did not feel I needed risers, I did rotate the bars up and reset the mirrors to suit. That sorted them out for me.
I then had the seat re sculpted to level out the slope at the back, no more sliding towards the tank..

Surely it would be sensible to try a new bike for a while before fitting risers as every bike is different and it’s not a given that the riding position won’t suit you from the off ?

I agree. :thumb

Which is exactly why I did 700 miles on the bike before fitting them. ;)

Nutty, I bought a 950S Multi (basically the same) and though I did not feel I needed risers, I did rotate the bars up and reset the mirrors to suit. That sorted them out for me.
I then had the seat re sculpted to level out the slope at the back, no more sliding towards the tank..

OK, I'll have a play. :thumb

That was a very interesting video on ergonomics and when i get in i will be checking how i actually fit the bike as i find it perfect but that could just be me adapting

AS to bar risers i have never found the need for them although i have rotated the bars in the clamps and have done so on every bike to make it fit better

+1

Each bike will have a period of muscle memory / learning / adapting ,

i remember when i bought the GS i got a lot of pain in my wrists due to the different bar position compared to the XL

After a while it went off (re learnt muscle memory)but then i started to get a shoulder pain, in my RH shoulder,

i worked out that was caused by my backpack, hence why i strap it to the luggage when i go on long trips.

I still got a pain in my RH shoulder, but i think that's due now to keeping everything from moving, so it gets into a static position and when you eventually move it ,it's like cramp.

The new bike bars, are lower and forward. I dont mind the position, but would prefer to be more up and back, I haven't done enough miles yet to say whether they new bar position is good or bad.

I understand the need to protect your back, but you may be doing more harm than good.

have you run your dimensions & the bike over on cycle-ergo.com? it may give you some insight into how much you need to move things to match the gs/ktm set ups you had?

+1

Each bike will have a period of muscle memory / learning / adapting ,

i remember when i bought the GS i got a lot of pain in my wrists due to the different bar position compared to the XL

After a while it went off (re learnt muscle memory)but then i started to get a shoulder pain, in my RH shoulder,

i worked out that was caused by my backpack, hence why i strap it to the luggage when i go on long trips.

I still got a pain in my RH shoulder, but i think that's due now to keeping everything from moving, so it gets into a static position and when you eventually move it ,it's like cramp.

The new bike bars, are lower and forward. I dont mind the position, but would prefer to be more up and back, I haven't done enough miles yet to say whether they new bar position is good or bad.

I understand the need to protect your back, but you may be doing more harm than good.

have you run your dimensions & the bike over on cycle-ergo.com? it may give you some insight into how much you need to move things to match the gs/ktm set ups you had?

I had a look on cycle ergo earlier, but neither the KTM or the Ducati are on there.

Back
Top Bottom