My Covid-19 lockdown trip to Italy

apparently media have been saying that holiday companies and airlines and even mp's have put in legal challenge to it

possibility it might be gone by end of june.............

Really hope so I am going in September hope all is ok by then

Humm interesting, wonder if anyone here has come back to the UK on a ferry & what greeting customs gave? Or do we know what they are planning to dish out, two weeks "extra hols"??

according to govt site - you come in fill out a sheet telling them where yer gonna stay for the 14 days - as long as you then dont use public transport to get there - no problem - they also said they dont check if you actually go there

which doesnt even need an address - because of the way theyve worded it (there was a pic of the docket with just hotel written in :D )

madness

The 14 day quarantine is stopping a lot of people from leaving the UK. All the hotels here have heard and are asking me about it.
Travel within the European countries I’ve been to so far has been very normal with no border checks at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are normal over there, the hotel we stay in is open (and calling us) Baveno, Italy. Hopefully September, Hope your enjoying the bike and the ride. We need more pics (just to remind us) Safe trip.

Hi all, sorry I've been a little rubbish on the updates. I did put a few things on Facebook, but I'll update here now. I finally arrived into Ancona on Saturday afternoon. I was going to take a longer trip here from Pisa but my arse was so sore I needed to get the ride done! If anyone says the Rallye seat is ok for long distance punch them in the face... it's not. Even with the air seat and my new found friend the sheep. Andy, you were right about that one! I think I may go for the Wunderlich Rallye seat comfort combo and see how I get on with that.

Also that bloody BMW Nav 6 and his mate basecamp have well and truly pissed me off. I know there are those out there that get on with it. Also I've watched the how to videos, plus I do know something about navigation and plotting courses with software.... I've managed to cross the Atlantic 7 times. But for the life of me I don't get on with that software. Also the connectivity issues that are created between the conflict of the TFT, Nav 6, phone and headset is soooo frustrating!! Imagine if BMW did the same with their cars and you had to figure out how to connect the speedo and the stereo and the engine management info etc. It's crazy to me that with such great tech and software BMW are still persisting with this crazy set up. I realise it allows you to connect whatever sat nav you want etc but IMHO it's time it was one central system. However, now I'm just ranting.

I've decided I'm going to uninstall the Nav 6 and fit the Quadlock wireless charger in it's place. For navigation I've found that for me MyRouteApp works very well and is very intuitive. I also use view ranger and google maps. The point being with a phone you have many more navigation options and as long as you've dowloaded the maps then even without signal it should be ok. Maybe if you're in the back of beyond a true GPS system would be better, but for me I'm going to try the phone option.

As for the route I went; Chester to Hull where I boarded the overnight ferry to Rotterdam, this was very easy and great to arrive there at 0830 ready for a good days riding ahead. I made it as far as Nuremberg where I camped in a nice hotel. The next day I made it to Austria where I camped for 2 nights whilst waiting for the rain to pass. The next run was over the Grossglockner Pass which was brilliant and amazing views. Also the almost complete lack of traffic made it an even more memorable experience. After the pass I stayed in a really nice B&B up in the Dolomites run a family, this was great and again I stayed 2 nights as the weather was a bit grim still.

After that stay I rode to Merano which is a lovely little town and I'd recommend a visit. Stayed there a couple of days and then rode the Stelvio Pass, which again is amazing, and again a complete lack of people and traffic made it pretty strange but all the more enjoyable. Once over the pass I rode onto Lake Como. I've been there before and I really like it, the lake is very picturesque and there's lots of good hotels in the area. At the moment the hotels are very cheap and I got a 4 star hotel with a balcony overlooking the lake for €90 per night.

After a night at Lake Como I set off early as I had a construction inspection to attend in Pisa. I made it there by lunch time and managed to meet everyone and do what I needed to do. Next day it was up to Massa for another construction inspection. The boat we're building is being built in two locations so we visit one then the other the next day. This took me up to Saturday the 13th and I rode from Massa to Ancona where my apartment and the main shipyard is. Back in the office now and pretending to work whilst sat here typing this!

All in all a great trip and really glad I did it. I realise that I'm very fortunate to be travelling at this time and it allowed my to have a great experience in the Alpine Passes. If were going again and my advice to others is don't rush the passes. Take your time and enjoy the views. It's an amazing place, don't worry you're not going to get stuck above the snow line at night or anything, you drop down very quickly once over the top. I think if I get to travel in the area again I will try and stay there longer. The people have all been great and there's been no travel or border issues whatsoever. Plenty of camping and hotels to choose from. Now I have the bike and camping gear here my next goal point is to ride to the Campo Imperatore and explore that area.

Pics to follow, I have some video too so when I finally get some time.... and after I've actually done some work. I'll edit it into something concise.

More pics of Merano

4f9a561091f180a1cd8983212a1af88f.jpg

087414c950f46063e3877a18267aa3ef.jpg

4ec81b91e6589e8e016d43c34764cda3.jpg

Oh yeah, and there were Marmots. Loads and loads of them! They obviously hadn’t seen a car or bike for a while and they were looking at me like WTF? What do you want?
61ef6e8b5c59564a2fa5062d84860e24.jpg

Then finally back to the apartment in Ancona.

07bd45c69c247a6c581e92abb49ae9ca.jpg

87d877ec797f817e33ae60eb42743d8a.jpg

47205082ce05205ce5ecc189ed988467.jpg

dfac6e979f2b01fb7bc9e1975e1556f2.jpg

Brilliant.

Must be bliss with the roads being a lot quieter than normal around these parts.

I follow the Stelvio page and seen massive snow fall on it very recently where it was closed to traffic. :confused:

Yeah, I had to be a bit careful with the weather for the pass. The day after I was there, there was a massive dump of snow, so it seems I timed that one well.

Back
Top Bottom