My Covid-19 lockdown trip to Italy

RJP

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, well I left Chester this morning and I'm now on the Hull to Rotterdam ferry. Getting on was fine and funny enough there's nat many people on board!

For those interested there was no great interrogation or anything, they just asked the purpose of the trip, I said work, they gave me my ticket on drove on. All very simple.

Bike all packed up and ready for the off!

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 848
Route down the west coast of lake Maggiore

Beautiful

Then onwards via any A road.

It’s a fab area.

I put some pics on a RR last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want advice on route pm me and I’ll help where I can via phone

Thanks for the kind words about the bike, I love this hp paint job and I put some white crash bars on too. I have the Rallye seat as I like the freedom of movement it gives, then added an air seat for some extra comfort on the long stretches.

Currently thinking I'll try and get through Germany quite quickly and get down to Salzburg so can take my time in the Alps before heading to Pisa to do some work.

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="600" height="286" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/route/3174758?lang=en"></iframe>

This is the route I'm currently thinking of once I get through Germany.

Todtmoos is a nice little town in Black Forest to stay at.

To be honest, look at the weather and ride where it’s good.

I cuff all my trips and they are way better for it

Morning Captain ... how’s it going .. did you sleep well on the ferry and did one of those nice lorry drivers tuck you in :augie

You got away at the right time .. it’s pissing down this morning ... I had a little tear in my eye as you rode away from mine yesterday.

Ride safe :thumb2

Arrived into Rotterdam this morning after the overnight ferry, customs asked to see the passport then off I went. I was expecting some kind of grilling from someone about why I’m travelling but nothing really.
IMG_2797.jpg

A long day on the Autobahn, managed to make it to Nuremberg so that’s the worst of it done. 3 hrs more tomorrow and I’ll be in the Alps. Hopefully the tyres won’t be completely square by then!

Weather was great, a couple of showers but mostly dry and temp around 25 degrees so nice riding weather. Listening to Pink Floyd - AC/DC - Stone Roses etc. Now I’m comfortably numb! Even though it was motorway it was a great day the Germans definitely know how to build a motorway!

A good ride down to the Alps today. I’m now in Austria at the foot of the Grossenlocker. Looks like rain tomorrow so I think I’ll stay here and catch up on some work, hopefully a better day on Saturday.

IMG_2803.jpg
E5A0D4EC-92EF-4C6B-BAFD-0D9909A4629F.jpg
IMG_2805.jpg
IMG_2804.jpg

Some pics here from today’s ride. I got absolutely pissed on earlier. But I’ve made it as far as Merano.

Question for you lot: the weather is not looking amazing tomorrow for the Stelvio Pass. I think it’s due to be better on Wednesday, but of course that means hanging about here until then. What would you do in my shoes? One plus point is it may give my gluteus maximus a break!

IMG_2825.jpg
IMG_2826.jpg
IMG_2830.jpg
IMG_2834.jpg
IMG_2828.jpg

Can you tell I mostly followed the river today?

Book the same room again.

Have a day wandering about seeing local stuff.

I’ve had to do same occasionally and it’s always been a good day.

Happened in Beaune few days ago.

Enjoy Netflix tonight, enjoy day off bike tomorrow, you’ll be itching to get on it next day.

Plus if you’re in stelvio park you’ll want it dry really .

Thanks, I'm thinking a day or two off the bike won't do any harm and it seems a shame to come this far only to ride in horrid weather!

Totally.

I meant few years ago in Beaune.

It honked it down for 2 days so I hunkered down.

Actually it was a blessing as I went to loads of museums etc and had a great time sipping coffee.

The Stelvio park is a lovely area.

I’m not a fan of the stelvio pass personally but it’s a must do at least once I guess.

If it works then the area round Livigno is nice when you get going again.

Enjoy your down time.

Oh and more pics of that beautiful bike please

Back
Top Bottom