Legal protection

Nutty

Reaction score
Just sorting the car insurance, and about to tick the legal protection box as I always do, but seem to remember reading somewhere that if you have legal cover on a policy for another vehicle (bike) that you can use that legal cover for another vehicle that you own.

Or did I imagine that?

I had this very thing 2 years ago.

I was covered but it was such a monumental pain in the arse that I’ve always paid the extra 25 quid or so to have it bundled as it were.

Just my experience dealing with 2 companies.

I’d advise buying together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sorting the car insurance, and about to tick the legal protection box as I always do, but seem to remember reading somewhere that if you have legal cover on a policy for another vehicle (bike) that you can use that legal cover for another vehicle that you own.

Or did I imagine that?

I've heard this previously but as with all things insurance related, there's probably small print that has lots of exclusions.

This is one of the reasons I like multi-bike policies because the cost of the legal cover is diluted over the amount of bikes insured.

I always used to delete it when quoted for insurance,

to me it's a cop out, you expect this as standard when you take out insurance,

It like a plumber coming to to install a bath and then saying when he gets there, saying that doing the waste pipes & taps is extra.

If there looking after a claim, anything to do with the claim, should be part of the service they offer.

Anyway i never have it, when i got rear ended back in 2002, i phoned the insurance company at that time, and thay asked if i had it, i replied "No" they said i could take the cover out on the spot, i

think it cost me £3 extra so £28 as opposed to £25

After seeing what the final bill was for a rear end shunt was eye watering -

They charged the other guys insurance over 4K just for a hire car for a month, - how the f*ck do they justify that.

And it's a slick operation too.

reported the claim at 10:00, at 10:15, i had the ambulance chasers on the phone , at 10:30 i had the replacement car hire company on the phone, 10:45 the insurance assessor, to arrange to see

the car.. 48hrs later, they wrote the car off - not, and left me in limbo ..

Anyway i never have it, when i got rear ended back in 2002, i phoned the insurance company at that time, and thay asked if i had it, i replied "No" they said i could take the cover out on the spot, i

think it cost me £3 extra so £28 as opposed to £25

That's handy to know. :thumb

I'm sure I also have some sort of legal protection with my Lloyds gold account, but will have to have a read of my policy.

It may not be the same now, but i dont see why not,

it's an after the event thing in any case

Hi

Could I suggest https://www.freemotorlegal.co.uk

The legal protection is free, they get their fee from the third party.

I've been signed up with then for several years now. Luckily I haven't had to use their services so can't comment on their effectiveness.

They charged the other guys insurance over 4K just for a hire car for a month, - how the f*ck do they justify that.

All aboard the insurance gravy train!

48hrs later, they wrote the car off

And I guess the car was probably fixable.

I'd rather get legal cover separately from the insurance contract, as the lawyer will be doing the insurance's interests, not yours.

Most if not all Legal protection policies must have a 51% or greater chance of winning for them to pursue and then it is up to them.
If the insurance company can claim costs back form the 3rd party then they will.
I was advised years ago that if you have a fully comprehensive policy, you will not need it. It is extra profit.

Legal protection might help if it covers being prosecuted etc but again they need to believe you have a good chance of winning and if you do the CPS will drop the case. Legal protection provider squirmed. I know this from personal experience 12 years ago. (CPS dropped the case! after the 2nd court appearance pleading not guilty)

All aboard the insurance gravy train!

And I guess the car was probably fixable.

It was, After 4 weeks they collected the hire car and left me with nothing, so i went and bought another car

I phoned up and asked when i was going to get settlement & the car removed ..

Were going to repair it was the reply! I explained that i had bought another car, but no they took it away, repaired it, did a 4 wheel re align & new tow bar and delivered it back

where it sat for a further year before being near on given away, as no one wanted a subaru at that time lol

It was, After 4 weeks they collected the hire car and left me with nothing, so i went and bought another car

One thing that always surprised me is how trigger happy are the insurances here in the UK to write off vehicles. Also the entire procedure seems insane to me: an insurer can automatically write off my property, but I digress.
In a ways it is the same way health insurance works in the USA I guess (gravy train).

One thing that always surprised me is how trigger happy are the insurances here in the UK to write off vehicles. Also the entire procedure seems insane to me: an insurer can automatically write off my property, but I digress.
In a ways it is the same way health insurance works in the USA I guess (gravy train).

They did the same to my next door neighbor, he had a Mazda 3 thing got a ding in the front wing, low mileage an only about 9 years old worth about 4-5k

Written off, 3 weeks after paying out, another arm of the insurance company called him to say they may have been a bit hasty, and a repair was a feasible option.

They didn't seemed surprised though when he told them he had been paid out and the car taken .

"They charged the other guys insurance over 4K just for a hire car for a month, - how the f*ck do they justify that."

Which also begs the question why on earth or how does an insurance company find it acceptable to pay an invoice to that value? 3 months could buy a small car.

My first car here was less than 4k.
Traveled with it through Europe a number of times too. :D :D :D

As White Dalton says, it's pointless. If you have a valid claim any no win, no fee outfit will take on your case.

Why pay a fee to be tied into a particular solicitor should you need a claim? Often, this solicitor will be from a large corporate body with an office miles away from where you live.

Many solicitors will give you a free 30 minute consultation where they will give a view over whether you have a claim worth pursuing.

If you still feel you need the cover then check to see if you have it elsewhere e.g. home insurance, union membership, professional body, breakdown policy, bank account bundle, employer scheme.

Never take legal cover out. The way I look at is if the accident isn’t my fault, I’ll use the likes of Crash Services and let them deal with it. We’ve had three non fault accidents over the past 6 or 7 years and always used their service which was easy and no hassle. Takes the worry out of it.

Back
Top Bottom