an hour on the new S1000XR

I'm sure the new bike will appeal to more people than the old one, its just moved away from the raw excitement that my current bike has.

I rode the new rr back to back with my 17plate and was left feeling much the same.

If however the old Xr had never been made, pretty sure I would be buying a new one now ;)

Well, the cost to change was indeed a little eye watering! So for now I am sticking with what I have. There does seem to come a time where you draw a line in the sand on having brand new bikes. This might be mine, my current bike is probably the most fun bike I’ve ever owned.

There does seem to come a time where you draw a line in the sand on having brand new bikes..

I think that is a valid observation, and a point that I've been at for quite some time. Much as there are a couple of machines that I could see me enjoying (including the S1000XR), I can't seem to get past the "it can't be £x thousand better than what I already have".

Cue comments on how you only live once.

I think that is a valid observation, and a point that I've been at for quite some time. Much as there are a couple of machines that I could see me enjoying (including the S1000XR), I can't seem to get past the "it can't be £x thousand better than what I already have".

Cue comments on how you only live once.

Unless you're a Buddhist

OK, bizarre end to this story, whist at the dealers I had a go on the new R1250RS, one very very good trade in deal a week later I took delivery of an R1250RS Exclusive.
Already had the luggage holders from my SHAD panniers so they fitted straight on, I got a previously enjoyed Rack and Screen from Flebay and this Forum.
Popped on some £20 bar risers from China, a Hornig Sat Nav bracket to put it above the LCD in my normal vision, no happy bunny.

Why?

1) Performance wise, Its about the same up to about 120 where legally allowed but doesn't have the top end speed of the S1000XR.
2) Its about 14mpg better for the same riding style.
3) I got bored maintaining a chain.
4) I really like the LCD display.
5) I like the power delivery of as twin.
6) I have not had one of these before.
7) The more I looked at the new S1000XR the less I liked it.

OK, bizarre end to this story, whist at the dealers I had a go on the new R1250RS, one very very good trade in deal a week later I took delivery of an R1250RS Exclusive.
Already had the luggage holders from my SHAD panniers so they fitted straight on, I got a previously enjoyed Rack and Screen from Flebay and this Forum.
Popped on some £20 bar risers from China, a Hornig Sat Nav bracket to put it above the LCD in my normal vision, no happy bunny.

Why?

1) Performance wise, Its about the same up to about 120 where legally allowed but doesn't have the top end speed of the S1000XR.
2) Its about 14mpg better for the same riding style.
3) I got bored maintaining a chain.
4) I really like the LCD display.
5) I like the power delivery of as twin.
6) I have not had one of these before.
7) The more I looked at the new S1000XR the less I liked it.

Good move !

I have to say i do very much like the look of the 1250 RS

Seen a guy on a new XR today, briefly, very briefly, joined the motorway ahead of me from a slip, horrible battleship grey colour but that was the very last I saw of him :D

New bike is actually better in flesh than in pics . Dunno why but it is

ad73637aef6e1e03ddaad239324e3ab8.jpg

c6c0ab51f750b4f1e1cf2b59a2078721.jpg

Speaking as a 2020 XR owner I dont think BM have made their lives easy designing graphics for the origami bodywork on these . The M-sport brings some welcome colour options (if not price) to the base model colours of red and grey, these feel very 70s Ford Fiesta L trim colours. I chose Grey as the dealer had one in the order pipeline I and preferred it to Red which is a very flat cheap looking red in the flesh. I test road the red demo, and compared their red and grey demos side by side before choosing, but I do think they have lots of scope for applying some of the more "daring?!" colours used elsewhere on to these, thinking of some of the 1250RS and 9t colours may be used in the future? . As to painted tank covers I was in favour of those (mine is black unpainted) but having seen a few now and it makes the side profile look hunched when its the same colour as the tank (red or grey) and perhaps a contrast is better, painted gloss black instead part matt plastic may be better .

Pics this time

Thanks

Attachments

• 05E1E2AC-EC34-429C-A3BB-5ADE53CE3E7A.jpg
    05E1E2AC-EC34-429C-A3BB-5ADE53CE3E7A.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 5C9B4EB9-AB7C-4A97-9994-13C40FDF7E44.jpg
    5C9B4EB9-AB7C-4A97-9994-13C40FDF7E44.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 258
The M colors look good and T-B would probably even better...I'll buy on when they make the S1200XR...:thumb The current one is not as fast as the origional but more refined which is not necessarily better in my book.

It’s actually faster it puts it the power down nicer so is easier to ride .
And it’s not Revving it’s cock off all the time which is a major bonus and no vibes .
Trust me it’s fast enough and I’m now at 2500 mile having owed old and new model the new one night and day better.

It’s actually faster it puts it the power down nicer so is easier to ride .
And it’s not Revving it’s cock off all the time which is a major bonus and no vibes .
Trust me it’s fast enough and I’m now at 2500 mile having owed old and new model the new one night and day better.

Like some others, I actually like the way my 2016 XR puts the power down in a more raw, involving way. I was underwhelmed with the new XR after having it on loan for 2 days. It is a very good touring bike but if I want a very good, and better, touring bike I take my 2016 R1200RS. I ride my XR for giggles and I have toured on it for more modest mileages to France or in the UK. I'll take my RS to go to Spain or Italy.

For me, owning 2x 2016 bikes is a better option than owning a new XR, as I would have to trade both into make it work financially. The same applies to a new R1250RS.

I had one as a loan bike today, having previously owned a 2016XR and I’d have to agree with you. The new bike is by and large less buzzy but it seems a bit gutless below 6-7000rpm, and very lumpy below 4,000. Can’t quite believe I’m saying this but up to 70mph, back to back, my F750GS has more feeling of torque and seems to spin up more freely. Battleship grey is also a horrible colour and who designed the side stand? It tilts the bike to about about 50 degrees - way too short and almost impossible to find too it as it’s hidden beneath gear shift lever. Also doesn’t help that the foot pegs are exactly where you put you legs down, making any slow manoeuvre an unnecessary PITA. Brakes good but no better than the Brembos they replaced. On the plus side the seat feels good, better than the previous model and the suspension seems less harsh. Clutch less of a pull. All in all if I had the spare cash I’d get a sorted 2016/2017 model and save £8K...

Test ride a few weeks back. Fantastic bike, handles really nice, light weight, it still has some vibes though through the seat and frame. And after years of twins it just feels flat at the bottom end. Expected more torque and sure my S1 r had much more at low revs.
Comfy though. For me just did not like all or nothing nature of the bike. Fast as #### if going for it but devoid of character when going steady.

Loved the 2016 S1000XR that I almost bought one...The 1250GS killed it for me...The new XR doesn't feel as raw and loud anymore...For me in order to consider one over the GS again it would need the aggressive character again as also more power to scare you and more torque below 7000 rpm...hence S1200XR:thumb
But the new XR is still a nice enough bike for people who like a more comfortable and practical superbike and don't need shaft-drive and Telelever !

Back
Top Bottom