Slow processor?

Nutty

Reaction score
Went out yesterday, and the XT took nearly 20 minutes to get a signal, after finally acquiring satellites. I’ve also noticed that the speed reading takes quite a while to catch up with the speed on the bike speedo.

Anyone else had these niggles?

Went out yesterday, and the XT took nearly 20 minutes to get a signal, after finally acquiring satellites. I’ve also noticed that the speed reading takes quite a while to catch up with the speed on the bike speedo.

I might be wrong,

but i think they have whats called a hot & cold start,

Cold start is when it has no idea where any of the satellites are, and can take as you say up to 20 minutes to acquire and lock onto satellites

Hot start, the unit has locked onto at least 3 satellites before, it then uses this preknown data to calculate where the satellite will be at any given time and enables a fast lock on when you start the

unit.

It may just be the units ways of saying get me outdoors and use me ;)

I might be wrong,

but i think they have whats called a hot & cold start,

Cold start is when it has no idea where any of the satellites are, and can take as you say up to 20 minutes to acquire and lock onto satellites

Hot start, the unit has locked onto at least 3 satellites before, it then uses this preknown data to calculate where the satellite will be at any given time and enables a fast lock on when you start the

unit.

It may just be the units ways of saying get me outdoors and use me ;)

I’d only used the bike two days before, and it was fine. As to the speedo taking a long time to catch up???

I haven't used mine much but when i have it's seemed fine. I do know it picks the satellites up much better than previous models as i
never have a problem indoors whilst planning a route whereas, previously i was always using the simulator mode.

Did you check for software updates as 20 minutes sounds extraordinarily long to get a position?
EDIT are you in motion whilst it acquires the satalites?

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=YyCZrQHhuf6PO6qTKdvvr9

A quick google seems to suggest an initial long period is required for the device to load a satellite cache onto the device and if there are issues to do a soft reboot and refresh the search again.

No.
Mine is quite responsive to be honest.

Compared to my previous ones... if I rode the bike quickly through London (data-heavy map tiles)... the 660 at some point would just display a blank screen, the 396 was eons better but could start falling behind at some junctions.
The XT seems ok.

Getting the satellites is what Santa said above.
I have a similar issue with my Garmin bike computer sometimes.

Satellite reception-wise the XT manages to get satellite reception while inside my lock-up, while with the 396 I had to wait until the bike was outside before powering it up, otherwise it wouldn't find anything for ages. If you start the GPS indoors and it cannot find signal, and then you move outdoors it takes way longer to find the satellites in my experience.

Does the device do updates via wifi on the fly or only if you authorise them?

Just wondering if the device was in the middle of an update and took a while to get its ducks in a row?

Has this happened just the once or do you have multiple instances?

Did you check for software updates as 20 minutes sounds extraordinarily long to get a position?
EDIT are you in motion whilst it acquires the satalites?

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=YyCZrQHhuf6PO6qTKdvvr9

A quick google seems to suggest an initial long period is required for the device to load a satellite cache onto the device and if there are issues to do a soft reboot and refresh the search again.

Nope, the device is all up to date. It was trying to get a satellite while I was riding. Most peculiar.

For whatever reasons, it sounds like your device lost its memory as to where it last was. It then had to hunt for sufficient satellites to triangulate a speed reading. This process was not helped as you hooned along. There again, it could be fecked. Time will tell.

For whatever reasons, it sounds like your device lost its memory as to where it last was. It then had to hunt for sufficient satellites to triangulate a speed reading. This process was not helped as you hooned along. There again, it could be fecked. Time will tell.

Will see what Infinity reckon, as none of my other Garmins have done anything similar. The fact that the real time speed is so slow to catch up with the speedo makes me think there’s an issue.

Before you soft reset, just try it once more without.

Step outside, let the device find its satellites. Go for a ride, to see if the speed display can keep up with you. If it does, great.

Then repeat the next day, or even that afternoon.

Does it work properly? Yes or no. Report back.

Before you soft reset, just try it once more without.

Step outside, let the device find its satellites. Go for a ride, to see if the speed display can keep up with you. If it does, great.

Then repeat the next day, or even that afternoon.

Does it work properly? Yes or no. Report back.

Good plan, biker mate. :thumb

Only used the new gizmo once and it worked perfectly....:D

On it's next use I'll check the satellite acquisition & speed display....

Back
Top Bottom