Slow processor?

I actually did a few videos riding like a twat (speed up, brake immediately after) to post them later here, :D but, as I said above, the screen is not very visible.
This shows a little bit, and I slow down suddenly at the 30mph limit. Hope you can see the speed.

There is a bit of a lag, but it is pretty much similar to all the other GPSs I used so far to be fair.

(watch at 4k/full screen)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-d0C4mN9K6A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I actually did a few videos riding like a twat (speed up, brake immediately after) to post them later here, :D but, as I said above, the screen is not very visible.
This shows a little bit, and I slow down suddenly at the 30mph limit. Hope you can see the speed.

There is a bit of a lag, but it is pretty much similar to all the other GPSs I used so far to be fair.

(watch at 4k/full screen)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-d0C4mN9K6A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can’t quite make it out on that video, but if yours does the same, it could be a trait of the device? I’ve not used any other nav on the Multi, so it could just be the bike is so fast, the sat nav can’t keep up! :p

but if yours does the same, it could be a trait of the device?

It does it, yes, but again it seems to me very similar to the lag all the other GPS units have.

It is also true that my GS accelerates as fast as a brick glued to the ground compared to your Multistrada, so maybe your experience might differ :D

I used my XT on Saturday on my way to/from brekkie with his nibs.

Satellite acquisition was quick; the XT speedo responded rapidly to both acceleration & deceleration, but was always 2-3 mph below the bikes indicated speed.

That's ok. Most speedometers are calibrated to read a bit higher than the real speed.
From what I remember only Ducatis, old ones at least, had a lower reading. The Italian Motociclismo magazine used to measure the reading difference on every bike they tested, I remember being curious about the Ducatis reading lower speeds than the actual one at the time.

Maybe a understanding on how GPS's work might help
Normal automotive gps update rate is 1 HZ
I see no reason why the XT would be any faster ( i don't think Garmin say )
Therefore if you slam the brakes on or accelerate the speed will change lot in a second
And that's the reason why there is a delay
This delay also applies to the slight lag in road position on the map

I used my XT on Saturday on my way to/from brekkie with his nibs.

Satellite acquisition was quick; the XT speedo responded rapidly to both acceleration & deceleration, but was always 2-3 mph below the bikes indicated speed.

I suspect the OP's supercilious aura is interfering with the signal reception. He will need to wait for a low earth satellite solution which might have a stronger signal to power through the disturbance.

I suspect the OP's supercilious aura is interfering with the signal reception. He will need to wait for a low earth satellite solution which might have a stronger signal to power through the disturbance.

There's always that!! ;)

Yep, that's why the lag.

I do believe more recent GPS units have an higher refresh rate of 5/10Hz though?

Yep, that's why the lag.

I do believe more recent GPS units have an higher refresh rate of 5/10Hz though?

I think you will find that mainly aviation units use 5/10HZ
Automotive is still 1HZ

Thanks, didn't know.

I remember doing some research on laptimers and laptimers apps a couple of years ago, and for those people tended to use external GPS receivers at 10/20Hz for, of course, accurancy.
Surprised automotive is still at 1, considering they are mainly connected to electricity, so battery is not a massive issue.

I see no reason why the XT would be any faster ( i don't think Garmin say )
Therefore if you slam the brakes on or accelerate the speed will change lot in a second
And that's the reason why there is a delay
This delay also applies to the slight lag in road position on the map

OK, that makes sense. So, Keith's isn't updating as fast as he thinks, and he's just pulling my chain then? Or his bike is much slower than mine. :D

Back
Top Bottom