Centre Stand Assistant

Well after looking through the first 60 patent information on the site in Steve R's comment above I haven't found anything similar as yet.

One thing I have found is the number of Asian documents listed, including this text for something to do with Bananas :nenau

The utility model discloses a special stand of motorcycle transportation banana fruit ear. This special stand comprises two microscler banana fruit ear standing groove and rectangle connecting plates that the structure is the same, and the cross section of microscler banana fruit ear standing groove is the U -shaped, and the length of rectangle connecting plate equals with the length of microscler banana fruit ear standing groove that two long limits of rectangle connecting plate connect into an overall structure with two both sides face tops that microscler banana fruit ear standing groove is adjacent respectively. The utility model discloses convenient to use, the practicality is strong, can effectively reduce the damage of peel, improves the exterior quality of banana, easy manufacturing, low in manufacturing cost.

I actually invented an almost identical device to this but dropped the project when I saw that this patent had been filed

Also worth a look at the experience of Bob Schneider who patented and nanufactured a bike stand and a cruise control for the airhead BMW motorbikes. Some guy forgot to lift the stand up when setting off, got himself killed and poor Bob got sued by the deceased guys brother. Bob doesn't make or sell his,stand or flip o lever anymore. Not your issue if just patenting but would be your issue or your insurers issue if selling ready made versions

Off the top of my baldy head, if I were to quickly invent a tool for this job I'd have a telescopic or folding pole roughly same size as a walking stick which has a configuration that allows it to hook around a stands leg at two points when stand is partly deployed, using the stick as an extended lever then allows you to use your arm muscles to assist or leg muscles if its configured for leg use. I don't think I'd get far with such a device in terms of patenting it though. Don't limit your search to motorcycle type applications as I guess if someone invented it for some other application then he's invented it.

I hope that when it is finally revealed, the design involves steampunk brass, rivets and leather bellows. It could be called ‘The esteemed Fagin’s gentleman’s assist contraption’. Priced in guineas, each device is supplied in a polished mahogany case inlaid with the owners initials in gothic font.
I’d buy one.
Alan R

I hope that when it is finally revealed, the design involves steampunk brass, rivets and leather bellows. It could be called ‘The esteemed Fagin’s gentleman’s assist contraption’. Priced in guineas, each device is supplied in a polished mahogany case inlaid with the owners initials in gothic font.
I’d buy one.
Alan R

Me too. Perhaps with some wind-up spring mechanism added.

Also worth a look at the experience of Bob Schneider who patented and nanufactured a bike stand and a cruise control for the airhead BMW motorbikes. Some guy forgot to lift the stand up when setting off, got himself killed and poor Bob got sued by the deceased guys brother. Bob doesn't make or sell his,stand or flip o lever anymore. Not your issue if just patenting but would be your issue or your insurers issue if selling ready made versions

Again, great contribution from Mr Murr. As a practising industrial designer I had several millions of pounds of Professional and Public Indemnity Insurance, which didn't cost the earth. As a designer and manufacturer you really would be advised to spend some of the money you save on not patenting it on this type of insurance.

Another alternative for you is to apply for the patent (free), after you've done a proper search, which protects you immediately, then tout it round some manufacturers - Oxford; Siebenrock; Wunderlich. You tell them it's got 'patent applied for' status and get them to sign a non-disclosure agreement and if they're interested they can buy the patent rights off you. This still isn't fool proof. The only time I ever applied for a patent for something I'd designed is the only time I ever got ripped off.

As an alternative to all this complicated shenanigans, why not get one made, test it, then publish the plans free for anyone to manufacture their own as long as they mark it with "Fagin's Tosser Crutch"? At least then you'll be famous (on here anyway).

Again, great contribution from Mr Murr. As a practising industrial designer I had several millions of pounds of Professional and Public Indemnity Insurance, which didn't cost the earth. As a designer and manufacturer you really would be advised to spend some of the money you save on not patenting it on this type of insurance.

Another alternative for you is to apply for the patent (free), after you've done a proper search, which protects you immediately, then tout it round some manufacturers - Oxford; Siebenrock; Wunderlich. You tell them it's got 'patent applied for' status and get them to sign a non-disclosure agreement and if they're interested they can buy the patent rights off you. This still isn't fool proof. The only time I ever applied for a patent for something I'd designed is the only time I ever got ripped off.

As an alternative to all this complicated shenanigans, why not get one made, test it, then publish the plans free for anyone to manufacture their own as long as they mark it with "Fagin's Tosser Crutch"? At least then you'll be famous (on here anyway).

I run a charity Blood Bike Group in Aberdeen and I am sure we will have a marketing type person amongst the volunteers, I will ask around and see what ideas they have as to the best approach to look at.

Yours and Mr Murrs advice has been very welcomed, thank you both :thumby:

Steve and B Murr,

Thanks very much for all of your advice and Steve I will start looking into whether this design exists.

I think you are both right with regards to cheap copies of things which have flooded the market over the years, and even if you spend thousands of pounds trying to protect your design there are still individuals that will flout the law and steal your ideas :mad:

There is certainly weight behind your comment about flooding the forums with my gadget once I have a working prototype to market, I am not going to become a millionaire with this that's for sure, unless I can get on Dragons Den :idea

The Chinese can copy and flood the market all they like, but most sensible people would prefer to buy the genuine article. MachineArt are still very much in business, despite being ripped off by them. ;)

Off the top of my baldy head, if I were to quickly invent a tool for this job I'd have a telescopic or folding pole roughly same size as a walking stick which has a configuration that allows it to hook around a stands leg at two points when stand is partly deployed, using the stick as an extended lever then allows you to use your arm muscles to assist or leg muscles if its configured for leg use. I don't think I'd get far with such a device in terms of patenting it though. Don't limit your search to motorcycle type applications as I guess if someone invented it for some other application then he's invented it.

Or just use a scaffold pole, like I used to!

UPDATE

Morning fellow Tossers
Right a quick update.....a mechanical design engineer friend of mine has produced a CAD drawing which is infinitely better in design and simpler than the one originally done by the Engineering company I am using.

We are going to look at an alternative company to produce a prototype and I will let you know once we have a working model to show you, Patent application is done and awaiting the final product before submission ;)

Interested

Interested.
I manage at the moment, but arthritis is starting to bother me, and I know it won't go away...

I am quite sure that if I rode my back wheel up a wedge so as to raise the bike's height by a couple of inches, I could then put the center stand down easier. Then, because the bike has been rolled backwards, off the wedge, I can then pick it up with the coiled wire attached to it and drop it back in the top box. Simple, stupid but, I've never tried it so, it may not work :blast.

Back
Top Bottom