Best Place to sell my 67 plates RT

Likelylad

Reaction score
Hi chaps,
I've reached the grand old age of 70 now.Things aint working as they should (me) not the bike.Some advice please.Where would be the best place to sell my RT.

Hi chaps,
I've reached the grand old age of 70 now.Things aint working as they should (me) not the bike.Some advice please.Where would be the best place to sell my RT.

For the buyer or seller?

Ebay will get the most coverage.

Do a fixed priced advert, costs £19.99, classified add I think is what it's called but make sure you advertise it for more than you will accept as no one will offer the advertised price.

You have an option to allow potential buyer to "Make offer" that's all a bit hit or a miss tbh but it's an option for you.

If you don't have an ebay account Autotrader bikes is still a popular place.

HTH.

I would try on here as well if you haven't already.

I recently sold my 2015 Triumph Sprint on Gumtree and surprisingly to The Superbike Factory, who obviously monitor the private adds section. Selling bikes privately, especially high end, high value bikes is very difficult because you can't offer finance or warranty.

unfortunately it is an RT :D

Be prepared for chancers on ebay and gumtree.

avoid we buy any bike outfits like the plague.

Why dont you ask your nearest BMW dealer if they are interested, yes they will offer trade but less hassle

Failing that MCN or Autotader as others have suggested. If the bike is out of warranty you still can buy one.. which might help a private sale.
PM me if you need info re warranty

My Ma and bro reckon facebook marketplace is ok for selling. Usually much lower value items than yer RT but u never know.

RTs sell on here pretty frequently. Plenty of pics and a decent price and it should go. GLWS.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Anywhere if you price it to sell. Beware of assuming that prices folks advertise bikes at are anywhere near the price they sell at - a search on eBay sold prices will give you a good and current idea of sale prices. Good luck selling your bike - the RT is a great piece of kit. Ebay with no reserve price (I never bother to bid on anything with a reserve) alway seems to tease out the value and dealers will always bid it up to a trade value or there about as a back stop

Best place to sell my 67 plate RT

Thanks everybody for the responses,it's appreciated.I looked at selling on ebay,too expensive,£19.99 for the insertion is fine but 10% of the total selling price to a maximum £250,that's not fine!
To make matters worse,if the buyer wants to pay using PayPal into my PayPal account,I get charged 3% for the privilege!
I'm not a full member so I don't think I would be allowed to sell it on this site would I?
Once again,thanks for the advice chaps.

Start off trying it on here. As has been said, lots of photos, preferably of a clean and dry bike, all the info and a sensible price. Not Main Dealer forecourt price.

Remember, there’s a Bum for every seat.

If it's got any extra's that you've fitted and you can't be arsed removing them then definitely here as you'll get a better price.
If selling online, then remove extra's and sell seperately as you'll not get anything for them on the bike.

Some extra information

Thanks everybody for the responses,it's appreciated.I looked at selling on ebay,too expensive,£19.99 for the insertion is fine but 10% of the total selling price to a maximum £250,that's not fine!
To make matters worse,if the buyer wants to pay using PayPal into my PayPal account,I get charged 3% for the privilege!
I'm not a full member so I don't think I would be allowed to sell it on this site would I?

Hi re your comment on eBay................£19.99 should be the cost for the classified ad, as recommended by someone else. So its not an auction but essentially just a small ad. You wont then pay a selling fee. Its just the £19.99. Which I actually think is pretty good value for the coverage that eBay provides.

Of course with everything else these days you will get your percentage of chancers/scammers etc. But there are loads of decent people out there who will want a decent well kept bike and will want to take a good look over it. I've used lots of classified ads on eBay to sell vehicles. It does work, but be prepared to stick to your guns. What I like is that you can see the number of 'watchers' so you know whose interested. Also if you're not getting any sniffs then you revise the ad and lower the price, and what you see is the number of watchers go up and you start getting real interest, ie genuine people chatting to you about the bike and coming to see. This then tells you you're getting near to the actual market value of the bike..........which is reality as it will only sell for what someone is willing to pay.

Good luck with the sale and hope this info helps if you go down the eBay route.

By the way dont accept Paypal, just cash or a bank transfer.............you know the script.

Cheers Alistair

As pointed out above, your classified ad is a one off cost of £19.99 whether it sells or not, you will pay no more, and also as stated above, do NOT accept paypal payment for your bike, cash on pick up( though I personally wouldn't accept that) of bank transfer.

For the first time in selling a bike I had a guy pay in to my bank before the bike was picked up, not how I would've done it but any time I've bought bank transfer worked immediately unlike the guy who paid in to my account that took two hours to come through.

If you state the mileage , history and the spec , you never know someone may be looking out for one on here .

Regarding ebay - don't accept paypal as a seller. It gives protection to buyer but not to seller ive been stung before. But ebay is ok as genuine interested buyers will want to view any way so it would be a face to face sale.

Whatever you do , don't let the bike go without secure funds in your bank

For the small sum of 12 quid you would be able to put an advert on here with pictures galore, large description and
stand a good chance of selling it plus, you would be a fully paid up Tosser and help out with the yatch running costs :thumb2

eBay classified is the way to go. I sold my RT on there in a week for full asking. Though not sure if the same would've happened in the current climate.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

I once sold a Transalp on ebay using a classified ad. It went to Malta !! Bike was paid for two weeks before it was picked up and shipped over. Just DO NOT accept paypal as means of payment. I insisted on bank transfer and all was well. The buyer corresponded with me for several weeks after he bought the bike and was very pleased he had bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sensible start would be £12 for this site and stick a for sale ad on. It may well sell and the vast majority of sales on here are trouble/hassle/scammer free.
If it doesn't sell, in the great scheme of things...it's £12

Back
Top Bottom