F800 GS 2009 - Front Fork Improvements

frosti

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking again about doing something with the front forks.
Mine are stock and about 50,000kms up on them.
Need oil changing too, as i never did them since i got the bike at 25,000km, so that alone will help.

Looking for info from anyone who has actually lived with Progressive Springs - Hyperpro or Wilbers or whoever - and put some miles on them.

I will be mainly on road, but the roads are often pretty bad on Irish boreens - badly rutted or just gravel is normal enough.
The bike handles very well on most roads, but obvious pogo-ing on bad roads.

Some reports I read mention that unless you are in the region of 100kg weight, the springs are operating on the not-progressive range a lot and the benefit is low.
Any comments ?

Others mention using straight wound Ohlins springs with better resistance and getting better results.

Any sensible advice welcome.

Hi,

I went for the Hyperpro progressive springs and changed the oil to 10W. The bike had done about 30,000km the oil was in a bad state.
Changing only the oil would have made an improvement. I noticed a big improvement with the new springs fitted, the front end is less skittish and the wheel feels more in contact with the road when it gets bumpy.
Bang for buck the Hyperpro worked for me. It's an improvement over the stock springs for sure, but i'm no knee down race god or an off road expert.
Now thinking of doing something with the rear shock as it is getting a bit soft.

Balders

Thanks Balders.

From what i can see it is the best easy improvement for mainly road riding.
Unless you go for the Andreani Cartridge Adjustable set-up at @ €550 - which may not be too bad an idea.

And is a hell of a lot cheaper than something like the Touratech Cartridge solution at @ €1800

Back
Top Bottom