Mosko Reckless vs BMW Vario Panniers

mattatron

Reaction score
I've been looking for an alternative to replace the rather bulky Vario panniers for my 2016 LC GS. I'm looking for something that doesn't require ugly scaffolding on the side of the bike and I want it to be soft luggage rather than hard, especially considering that I'm looking for a lower profile fit for my luggage.

I'd need something that can hold my clothing, (small) camera and possibly a laptop and is sufficient for 2 weeks away in Europe.

I've specifically been looking at the Mosko Moto Reckless 80. Does anyone here have experience with this kit on their GS that could give me some advice?

Should I go ahead with this, I'll have a set of barely used Vario panniers for sale :)

Varios, Bulky??

There narrower than the bars when in, and only about 30mm wider when out.

They have no framework as such either??

I would think your going to need some sort of frame work even with soft stuff to stop the rear wheel eating them

I’m very tempted by the Mosko Moto Reckless 80 set up to go on my Tenere 700.
Everything I read about them is good. I too like the idea of no ‘scaffolding’.
If you’re planning on going off road then it could be the way to go.
If not, the Vario boxes are OK in my experience. But not that nice to pack and I wouldn’t want to live out of them on an extended trip. Jesse boxes are superb for living off of the bike. Again, my experience.

There are a couple of secondhand sets of MM Reckless 80’s on eBay at the moment.

Varios, Bulky??

There narrower than the bars when in, and only about 30mm wider when out.

They have no framework as such either??

I would think your going to need some sort of frame work even with soft stuff to stop the rear wheel eating them

True, the various may not be that bulky BUT boy are they HEAVY!! They make my Metal Mules seem like Tesco carrier bags.

I'm taking the GS to South America next year (hopefully) and I'll be leaning towards soft luggage. Reckless 80 is the leader in the clubhouse, the Bumot Extremadas and the latest Kriega kit are still in contention...

Shame you don’t have a GSA as the Xtremadas would fit straight on .
Great panniers . I have them on my ATAS.

The Reckless 80 is good kit too . Got a set to use with my 701LR but yet to try it as still waiting for Nomad kit to be fitted first .

Thanks for the replies so far. I probably should have stated more clearly in original post that the Vario bulkiness was not only referring to the size but the mass too! Xtremedas looks nice but requires scaffolding, which is what I want to avoid at all costs.

You could argue that soft panniers with solid 'scaffolding' frames give you the worst of both worlds. Soft pannier contents can be squished and broken in an off, whilst the hard frames can damage or break your subframe, or at least be difficult to bend back into shape out in the wilds. My personal preference is for soft panniers with 'sacrificial' (?!) supports/frames that will break before the subframe, or can be easily bent back into shape. And are light.

I had the reckless 80, Extremadas and now have the bog standard BMW tin trunks.

Moscow Moto stuff is really well made, nicely designed and works really well. It’s perfect for a week long off road camping trip in Colorado, Washington State etc. Day to day experience I found it a complete PITA for my rides to work, picking up the shopping and normal life.

The Extremadas are brilliant, and give the best of both worlds. As soon as I can get my act together I’ll swap the tin trunks for a set of these, which along with an ally top box where I can lock my laptop gives me all I need.

Tin trunks are secure but very clunky and a pain to store, as I don’t really use them much.

I have a giant loop bag for touring which I find is really good and can work across both my bikes.

If you can afford it, the atacama luggage for bmw is made by Moscow moto and is a posh version of the Extramada kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I would be interested in your Vario panniers so good luck with finding something!! :)

I've been looking for an alternative to replace the rather bulky Vario panniers for my 2016 LC GS. I'm looking for something that doesn't require ugly scaffolding on the side of the bike and I want it to be soft luggage rather than hard, especially considering that I'm looking for a lower profile fit for my luggage.

I'd need something that can hold my clothing, (small) camera and possibly a laptop and is sufficient for 2 weeks away in Europe.

I've specifically been looking at the Mosko Moto Reckless 80. Does anyone here have experience with this kit on their GS that could give me some advice?

Should I go ahead with this, I'll have a set of barely used Vario panniers for sale :)

Back
Top Bottom