Stereotypical first trip on new bike

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had the first trip out on my recently acquired 850T yesterday. Took the wife on a pootle along the back roads of Suffolk and Essex with a picnic at Finchingfield. The coffee shop is open for take aways, as is the pub, serving pints in plastic glasses. Having owned a T3 Cali in the past I have to say I much prefer the ‘normal’ footpeg set up and the seat is infinitely more practical for pillion use. The bike ran beautifully until half a mile from home when the indicator switch jammed in the right turn position. Ironically, earlier on I was thinking to myself how much better the switchgear seemed compared to the Lego stuff on the T3. A fitting welcome back to classic Guzzi ownership indeed. I got great satisfaction today from fixing the problem as electrics are not my strong point. I actually managed to solder something properly. Usually I get solder everywhere apart from where it is needed. After fixing I removed the screen and took it for another run to a local micro brewery to stock up. I think the screen will be staying off. It is fine up to 70mph and looks so much cooler. It is good to be back. This replaces my airhead which I never really got excited about.

Cracking looker Mark.
Enjoy & ride safe..

PS
I also prefer the normal footpeg set up..

( maybe it's just my busted limbs ) :(

Nice looking bike. :thumb

I think you're right about losing the screen.

I think you're right about losing the screen.

Agreed. The screen looks too big for the bike for me, so going without may well be the better option especially as you are unlikely to be doing more than 70 on her anyway.

Lovely bike. Enjoy. :thumb2

It is the same screen as fitted to the T3 Cali. They only take 5 mins to remove or fit. I can’t see me refitting it unless I need to do a long motorway haul. I love the instruments on this bike with the large red indicator repeaters. Nicer than the T3 I reckon.

That looks lovely, needs a period topbox though.

I know what you mean. The likes of Givi are missing a trick by not doing a retro range. It has H&B framework but I am not a fan of their luggage. I am actually going to make a couple of small brackets to move the indicators 50mm back then I can use my ARD cases ally box panniers. I reckon they will look OK. I then have the potential to go on proper trips with the Mrs.

Nice one Mark.

But we need to talk about that top box....

Edit - I see others have beaten me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know what you mean. The likes of Givi are missing a trick by not doing a retro range. It has H&B framework but I am not a fan of their luggage. I am actually going to make a couple of small brackets to move the indicators 50mm back then I can use my ARD cases ally box panniers. I reckon they will look OK. I then have the potential to go on proper trips with the Mrs.

Maybe just do away with a topbox altogether? I think the correct period panniers really suit this bike.

Maybe just do away with a topbox altogether? I think the correct period panniers really suit this bike.

You can get new period panniers from Stein Dinse for about £250. Very tiny though.

You can get new period panniers from Stein Dinse for about £250. Very tiny though.

I had them on my Cali and they would be little use for touring with the wife. It needs to be practical otherwise it won’t get used. I am going to go full ally. I will post pics when I have achieved it so you can all have a knock :D

Another one here loving the bike but hating the top box. It looks like my old Givi Maxia which even looked big on a R1200GS...very very practical though for a wife and her 'stuff'....:eek:

Another one here loving the bike but hating the top box. It looks like my old Givi Maxia which even looked big on a R1200GS...very very practical though for a wife and her 'stuff'....:eek:

It is a Givi Maxia. 52L
Wait till you see it with my 58L Trekker Outback :D

Nice bike Mark, hopefully there’ll be another Saturday breakfast meet where we can all meet up and admire each other’s bikes again :okay

Anyway, more important matters need addressing. I’ll drop you a pm later so you can tell me what deals your local microbrewery has on at the moment. I’m off to Ampthill tomorrow to pick up a 20l polypin but that won’t last long and you’re a lot closer than Ampthill :beerjug:

Here we go then. ARD cases fitted. A little adaptation was necessary to get them to fit compared to the Givi rails on my VStrom but tye pucks have stayed in the same place which is a result. I don’t think they look SO bad.

Choosing my words VERY carefully here........They look better than the top box.

Edit. And glad you got rid of the screen.

Definitely better than the topbox. I use a topbox on my bikes, but I can't say I really like the look of any of them.

Back
Top Bottom