Drive shaft splines.

The link doesn't work ?
Im hoping its a list of hundreds of cases of exploding bikes ? Across all the motorcycle forums around the world ?

Mate, I’m done. It’s impossible to rationalise with the irrational. Enjoy your bike.

You're done because there simply isn't any evidence of your claim.
Enjoy your ride, an stop worrying about poxy rusty splines.

You're done because there simply isn't any evidence of your claim.
Enjoy your ride, an stop worrying about poxy rusty splines.

I’m done because you are clearly one of those types who is impossible to reason with. I get it, your a long standing member, lots of posts etc etc. Hard to except a perspective that conflicts with your own, the internet is full of them. I don’t worry about the splines, I never have.

Thats the very point.
"Reason"
Look at the evidence ? There simply isnt any. I get it, Split the splines, and cover them in grease, It feels nice. But its unnecessary.
I keep seeing posts..... "If you dont do it" ..... Just now a link was posted for "Evidence" , then deleted almost immediately.
Apply some reason to this..... Its a non starter.
Ride safe

Isn't it always a better experiece with a lubricated shaft :D

if it didn't have to slide, they would bolt it on.. why bother going to splines and the cost involved if its not needed.

this is a fooked spline :-

Attachments

• WP_20171112_10_34_51_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171112_10_34_51_Pro.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 503
FFS Read the whole thread.

I’m done because you are clearly one of those types who is impossible to reason with. I get it, your a long standing member, lots of posts etc etc. Hard to except a perspective that conflicts with your own, the internet is full of them. I don’t worry about the splines, I never have.

Typos galore, sorry done in the phone!

Think very positive, many did not know before they have spline problem, some do not care because spanner and tools make their hand dirty so cannot touch, and must trust BMW mechanic, and others just pay bike on credit and give back so do not care, I think most people who keep and love to know bike is ok will check this every 2 years as it is not so complicated, and you can do it changing your FD oil which is a better time, because oil comes out sensor plug if you do not plug hole, with an old sensor, ask nice your garage for defekt sensor and just cut of cable.

My first GS 1150 I kept for 14 years, Africa, Asia all of Europe. Sold it with 90k miles on it, It still looked new. And it never went without. It developed a tiny leak in the gearbox output shaft, from the small seal, I changed that. Broke the engine and gearbox apart to to it, the seal was 75p ! Own and cherish all of my bikes. But I wont be wasting time, money or thought on the drive shaft splines. But like ive said, I do understand the peace of mind behind it.

The reason I asked my question earlier about whether it was supposed to slide in and out in normal operation is because I was trying to gauge how I'd imagine this happening under normal riding conditions? If it generally moves, I don't understand how it could seize? Drive shafts and prop-shafts on cars regularly have the same overall thing happen and I don't hear people shouting about it generally. I'm just trying the gauge if a rusty set of splines is the same as a non-functioning set of splines basically.

I know it doesn't look pretty, but as an engineer that works with metals in seawater on a regular basis I'm well aware that just because something looks shit doesn't mean its not still working right. Just my 2p.

The reason I asked my question earlier about whether it was supposed to slide in and out in normal operation is because I was trying to gauge how I'd imagine this happening under normal riding conditions? If it generally moves, I don't understand how it could seize? Drive shafts and prop-shafts on cars regularly have the same overall thing happen and I don't hear people shouting about it generally. I'm just trying the gauge if a rusty set of splines is the same as a non-functioning set of splines basically.

I know it doesn't look pretty, but as an engineer that works with metals in seawater on a regular basis I'm well aware that just because something looks shit doesn't mean its not still working right. Just my 2p.

I made the exact same point that if the shaft is moving in and out of the splines as the angle of the paralever changes as it goes up and down on the suspension then surely it cannot sieze in place. Things sieze when they are left static for a long time and the ferric oxide is left to do its dastardly work.

I made the exact same point that if the shaft is moving in and out of the splines as the angle of the paralever changes as it goes up and down on the suspension then surely it cannot sieze in place. Things sieze when they are left static for a long time and the ferric oxide is left to do its dastardly work.

I did see your comment actually, and agree. I would expect to see some witness marks where it had been moving though (as in, rust all over it apart from where it had been moving back and forth), but that doesn't seem to be the case in any of the pictures shown in here. That kinda leaves me with two trains of thought, either:

1-They don't actually move back and forth hardly at all

OR

2-The ones being shown have sat for an extended period of time before the splines were inspected.

I could be wrong, but I don't see how it could be both moving and seized?

You cant tell if it moves because the shaft can also move on the front spline (transmission output shaft) and this rarely has any problems of dry splines they are generally well lubricated. But are secured with a clip ring which is designed to have little resistance to allow shaft withdrawal without dismantling the swing arm.

I can understand that, but it doesn't really change much, it just shows me that there's enough movement in the front spline to cover the shaft movement if the rear can seize (i.e. it hasn't moved in and out even when not rusty, therefore allowed to rust and seize)?

Ooh. What a lot of vitriol on here. All for splines.

I’m almost afraid to say anything.

But - as one who lived in a world of “maintenance” I always like to see some lube on moving parts in contact with one another. The rusty splines that kicked this off don’t fit my understanding of “right”.

Of course they’re not seized. As previously mentioned, seized means seized. Not just dry and dirty. So they’ll wear out quicker than lubed ones. Maybe outlast the owner. Who knows.

But in the spirit of openness and honesty, I’ll confess that several weeks ago when I should have been out riding, I did drop my rear hub to take a look at my splines. An easy job of a few minutes. Was happy to find my splines looking clean and slightly oily looking. Good enough after 26K miles I thought.

A dod of grease, boxed it up and should be good for another 26K miles :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom