eBike Conversion? Is it possible?

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In 2002 I spent £4000 on a 'Top of the Range' Carbon Fibre full suspension mountain bike.

It was brilliant at the time, only weighed 10kg in total.

Full XTR chainset, sealed bearings, scandium swingarm, Magura Marta hydraulic disc brakes, Rock Shox suspension, Mavic Crossmax wheelset etc.

Anyways, for the past 10 years it's sat covered in dust and cobwebs, looking very sorry for itself....

Could I bring it back to life as a Super Awesome Weaponized eBike?

If so, any recommendations?

There was a bit of a discussion about this in another thread recently.

I think the concensus was that although there are various ways of doing it, they all have drawbacks. Maybe someone can point to that thread?

There are options but it won't be half the fun as a mid-drive mounted ebike. A motor in the rear will make the rear heavy and drag. An additional motor in the front as a bolt on will see you having to stick the battery somewhere high up, and destabilising the bike.

Sell that and go for a new one. You know that is the better option.

There are options but it won't be half the fun as a mid-drive mounted ebike. A motor in the rear will make the rear heavy and drag. An additional motor in the front as a bolt on will see you having to stick the battery somewhere high up, and destabilising the bike.

Sell that and go for a new one. You know that is the better option.

This. :clap

You love buying new toys, Warlord. Just get a proper ebike. ;)

I bet your brakes and shocks will have problems. 18 years of age is a long time for seals etc

I had them all professionally serviced in 2008 :D

.... and although it's just stood since without use, I'd get them all done again

This. :clap

You love buying new toys, Warlord. Just get a proper ebike. ;)

Hmmm..... I don't think I'm that interested TBH

Maybe the idea will grow on me?

Just thought I could make use again, of what once was a bloody good bike.... with not much cost outlay.

I am quite willing to financially incentivize* your search for a new motorised steed - happy enough to give a Ton for your dust-covered garage-based detrius :augie

*An incentive is a contingent motivator. Traditional incentives are extrinsic motivators which reward actions to yield a desired outcome. The effectiveness of traditional incentives has changed as the needs of Western society have evolved. Wikipedia
Every day is a learning day
:augie

Yes, it's easy.
I fitted a Bafang crank motor kit to my mountain bike. Took me a couple of hours, you just need the right tools to be able to remove the pedal unit and have a reasonable idea about how to sensibly run cables.
Mine is not pretty, but it's bloody effective!
eefc49b8d4d02b645e7a0869b69fa193.jpg

I bought it from AliExpress with no issues.
Here is a similar setup, but mine was 5 years ago so not showing up any more.
£275.66 23%OFF | BAFANG BBS02 BBSHD 48V 500W/750W/1000W 36V250W/350W/500w Mid Drive Motor Ebike Kit 8fun Bicycle Engine Electric Bike Kit
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZYRm60
On the plus side it has lasted 5 years so far and I was 24 stone when I first started using it so it hasn't had an easy life!

Yes, it's easy.
I fitted a Bafang crank motor kit to my mountain bike. Took me a couple of hours, you just need the right tools to be able to remove the pedal unit and have a reasonable idea about how to sensibly run cables.
Mine is not pretty, but it's bloody effective!
eefc49b8d4d02b645e7a0869b69fa193.jpg

I bought it from AliExpress with no issues.
Here is a similar setup, but mine was 5 years ago so not showing up any more.
£275.66 23%OFF | BAFANG BBS02 BBSHD 48V 500W/750W/1000W 36V250W/350W/500w Mid Drive Motor Ebike Kit 8fun Bicycle Engine Electric Bike Kit
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZYRm60
On the plus side it has lasted 5 years so far and I was 24 stone when I first started using it so it hasn't had an easy life!

That’s a neat conversion Fubby, I’ve seen a few worse. And for <£300 seems like a steal.

I did it before I purchased my Levo, used front hub kit off eBay, think it was £270 including the battery.

At the time it was a cheap way of finding out if it was what I wanted to do without the outlay of splashing out on a proper emtb.

KDW8pWe.jpg

In 2002 I spent £4000 on a 'Top of the Range' Carbon Fibre full suspension mountain bike.

It was brilliant at the time, only weighed 10kg in total.

Full XTR chainset, sealed bearings, scandium swingarm, Magura Marta hydraulic disc brakes, Rock Shox suspension, Mavic Crossmax wheelset etc.

Anyways, for the past 10 years it's sat covered in dust and cobwebs, looking very sorry for itself....

Could I bring it back to life as a Super Awesome Weaponized eBike?

If so, any recommendations?

Can be done....but I genuinely doubt it is worth it. Everything MTB has moved on massively in the last 5 years, let alone 18.

Even today 10kg for a full sus MTB is good. Agreed a lot has changed, but not all necessarily good if you want/need to do any road miles. Still, I’d sell the old bike- good time to do it, prices are strong.

Back
Top Bottom