Royal Enfield Interceptor

fatbaldbob

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just seen a thread ref this on the B&B section and there seems to be a lot of interest in these bikes on here.

Thought it was worth a mention to those Tossers in the North East of Scotland, that Willie Young Motorcycles in Elgin is now stocking these, he had four in last week in all the different colours and can order in any others from the range that you may be interested in.

Trip to this years Stella Alpina on one my Enfields scuppered by the virus.
Cheaper than the gsa luggage.
DSC-0459.jpg

Just seen a thread ref this on the B&B section and there seems to be a lot of interest in these bikes on here.

Thought it was worth a mention to those Tossers in the North East of Scotland, that Willie Young Motorcycles in Elgin is now stocking these, he had four in last week in all the different colours and can order in any others from the range that you may be interested in.

Surprised at that given Ecosse M/C have the franchise for RE in Aberdeen or may be they don't and just Dundee, not sure now :blast but deffo Dundee.

Surprised at that given Ecosse M/C have the franchise for RE in Aberdeen or may be they don't and just Dundee, not sure now :blast but deffo Dundee.

You don't need a franchise to sell a bike; if you are in the trade you can buy in the bikes unregistered at trade price i'm guessing from a franchisee and resell as new for the RRP from your own shop, bikes may have even come from Ecosse, who knows? Either way it gives them a wider audience in this part of the world which is good for all who are in the market as well as the seller / franchise owner who is supplying them.

You don't need a franchise to sell a bike; if you are in the trade you can buy in the bikes unregistered at trade price i'm guessing from a franchisee and resell as new for the RRP from your own shop, bikes may have even come from Ecosse, who knows? Either way it gives them a wider audience in this part of the world which is good for all who are in the market as well as the seller / franchise owner who is supplying them.

Many years ago i bought a new 650 Bandit from willie young. His price was £100 less than Shirlaws price which they said was as low as they could go. Guess where the new bike came from ? Yup, Shirlaws. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't have the franchise how would you get warranty work authorised ?

The EU banned that as a restrictive practice. As long as you use parts recommended by the manufacturer or equivalent then you're OK. Most people go with the franchised dealer but they don't have to. Just another of those "level playing field" things that might change after December. :augie

The EU banned that as a restrictive practice. As long as you use parts recommended by the manufacturer or equivalent then you're OK. Most people go with the franchised dealer but they don't have to. Just another of those "level playing field" things that might change after December. :augie

I understand that, it's from the dealership POV, how does a dealership apply warranty work if they don't have a franchise, who would pay them for the work they carry out if it isn't authorised by the manufacturer.

The Other PaulG

They were the bargain of the century for me. Wrongly listed on ebay and only 30 miles away. Pair of quickrelase panniers and frames plus matching (huge) topbox.
£20 for the lot.
Nice retro look about them and very well made.
Pics-Art-04-11-05-03-46.jpg

DSC-0450.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

You can get your bike serviced using OE parts, but you can't get warranty work done at a non franchised dealer, because as a non franchised dealer you can't authorise warranty work or get paid by a manufacturer. This has just happened to CW the BMW dealer in Dorchester, they can service BMWs as they have BMW techs, but they can't do any warranty work

You can get your bike serviced using OE parts, but you can't get warranty work done at a non franchised dealer, because as a non franchised dealer you can't authorise warranty work or get paid by a manufacturer. This has just happened to CW the BMW dealer in Dorchester, they can service BMWs as they have BMW techs, but they can't do any warranty work

Absolutely :thumb2. In general, if you're paying for the work (not an agreed "contribution") then you can choose where to have work done and provided it's to the right standard and schedule then it will not void any warranty. If the manufacturer is paying then they decide where to have the work done and invariably elect their own dealerships, where of course they don't pay the labour rates that you and I do. The option of overturning the EU block exemption is not going to happen, why on earth would you want to? But that won't stop the usual suspects bandying bullshit warnings about it.

I bought three bikes from CW in Dorchester and they were good to deal with then during the reign of Dave and Wally. They were never in the glossy showroom league and had their own website, not the clone the other dealers used. Don't know about now though.

I understand that, it's from the dealership POV, how does a dealership apply warranty work if they don't have a franchise, who would pay them for the work they carry out if it isn't authorised by the manufacturer.

Ahh. Gotcha. I suppose if the bike is within warranty and has been serviced acc to Oem specs then they can invoice the manufacturer? In practice it'll be very rare but there must be owners in far flung places who cannot get to a franchisee?

Ahh. Gotcha. I suppose if the bike is within warranty and has been serviced acc to Oem specs then they can invoice the manufacturer? In practice it'll be very rare but there must be owners in far flung places who cannot get to a franchisee?

Don't think that will work. The garage needs the Manufacturer to authorise the warranty work, which if its not a dealer, they won't be able too. You can get your bike serviced if under warranty anywhere that uses the correct parts, but if a warranty issue comes up, you would have to get the bike to a dealer to complete. That was my issue with CW, I bought the bike there and it still has 2 years warranty left, so they can service it, but if it needs warranty work, they can't authorise it, or do it. So its pointless (apart from price) to get the bike serviced there, in case something needs doing, I would then have to get the bike to a dealer to complete.

An independent dealer can source any bike new from anywhere if thats what a customer wants, it could save them a long journey and they may even get it cheaper as in the example quoted by Del. A neighbour of mine did the same thing with a Yamaha and as in Dels case it came in cheaper than the local (though distant) Yamaha franchise, but guess where our supplying independent got the bike; the local Yamaha franchise. Just proves there is a huge mark up on new bikes, franchise is providing it to dealer at trade price or possibly a small profit and this dealer can sell it as new to a punter for less than the franchise RRP yet still make a profit from the deal. In the case of the Enfields i'm assuming this is the same and bikes are coming from nearest franchise, who is going to pass up the opportunity to shift several new bikes in one deal. Independents can service any make and keep the warranty intact as long as genuine parts are used. If a franchise must do warranty work then so what; take it an hour down the road to the nearest franchise, if the independent is not permitted to do it.

But if you can buy the bike you want as new from a local independent, possibly cheaper and they can service it, why go further and pay more to a franchise. For warranty work the option will still still be there to take it to a franchise but you can't be penalised by buying from an independent.

Valid points and there is risk in anything/everything we buy. The biggest issue I have found when trying to chase up warranty work from a shop I didn't buy the bike from tends to be you go to the back of a very long list to wait and often your warranty claim is thrown out, but it from the franchise and you are far more likely to go to the front of the que, as the saying goes, you pays your money, you takes your chances.

Was back at Willie Young Motorcycles in Elgin today for an MOT and he is now stocking the Himalayan new, alongside the Interceptors.

Back
Top Bottom