Folding bike recommendations

Ron Gibson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having taken up cycling as part of my knee surgery (february) rehabilitation I'm now managing about 20km a day, five days a week. Lost over a stone, feel fitter than ever and want to keep it up, problem is on return to work looks like I may have to work away from home virtually every week till I retire end of March next year at the latest.
Considering getting a folding bike that I can take away with me so I can keep up the cycling in the evenings specially in the summer months otherwise I'll just veg out in my accommodation and get a fat unfit knacker again.
Ideally a hybrid/mountain bike style. Not fussed about suspension but got to have 'click shift gears.Have tried the 'twister' ones and can't stand them.
Like the look of the Change models (DF 811)but a bit out of my price range, any other recommendations gratefully received,
Cheers,
Ron

Having taken up cycling as part of my knee surgery (february) rehabilitation I'm now managing about 20km a day, five days a week. Lost over a stone, feel fitter than ever and want to keep it up, problem is on return to work looks like I may have to work away from home virtually every week till I retire end of March next year at the latest.
Considering getting a folding bike that I can take away with me so I can keep up the cycling in the evenings specially in the summer months otherwise I'll just veg out in my accommodation and get a fat unfit knacker again.
Ideally a hybrid/mountain bike style. Not fussed about suspension but got to have 'click shift gears.Have tried the 'twister' ones and can't stand them.
Like the look of the Change models (DF 811)but a bit out of my price range, any other recommendations gratefully received,
Cheers,
Ron

Brompton.

Try and find a good used Dahon Cadenza.

26" wheel folder. Much better to ride than those Brompton things with little wheels.

On e bay right now

Might be too big/too small/too expensive.

Thanks for the replies so far, Brompton too small, got to be big wheels, certainly loads of tat out there.

Thanks for the replies so far, Brompton too small, got to be big wheels, certainly loads of tat out there.
Ours have 16 inch wheels and they are a bit twitchy on uneven surfaces but generally ok, have you tried one, there’s a place on ferry meadows that sells them, or they did sell them.

I would suggest Tern folding bikes as they have 20" wheels, but mine has a twist grip gear change which you say you don't want. I've got used to it quite quickly but I do ride a standard click shift hybrid almost all the time but I still find it easy when swapping to the foldie for a trip.

If you find a perfect bike except for the twist grip gears then changing these shouldn’t be too difficult for expensive.

Brompton If you weigh less than 110kg. They take a bit of getting used too and you know what a pothole really feels like. Get the six gear model.

If I had to take a bike on a train to commute it would be a Brompton, no argument. If it was packed in the back of a car for a serious evening ride I’d look for a bigger wheel model.

Cheers,
Ron

Brompton. if space is an issue, or if you’re travelling by train, as nothing folds up as small.

Have you tried one ? I’ve ridden mine for the last 3-4 years and would have another in a heartbeat. One of my neighbours rides his back from Waterloo 3 times a week, about a 15 mile journey, he has fitted a Rohloff hub to get better gear ratios though and that’s not a cheap option.

Iirc the patent has expired on the Brompton design (I may be wrong though) and there were a couple of Brompton inspired folders out now, with 20” wheelset.

Alternatively just take the wheels off a super light hardtail to transport it and store it in the corner of your accommodation when you get there ?

If I had to take a bike on a train to commute it would be a Brompton, no argument. If it was packed in the back of a car for a serious evening ride I’d look for a bigger wheel model.

Me too... I have a Brompton, (one of 8 bikes I own!) great for short journeys or especially to the Station here, and then station to the London office.

Used my Brommy for a while for cycling with my GF (I kept it at her house for a while), and it does well, but not ideal, keeping up with her on her hybrid kept me fit!

I did meet some peeps on the Isle of White, doing the circuit over a couple of days on Bromptons. I guess one benefit is that you can take it INSIDE your B&B room in the evening :) Theft must be less of a risk, because you fold the bike and take it inside the shop/office/B&B/Hotel etc

Also great for popping in the boot of your car, leaving the car at the pub, cycling home, and then cycling back to get the car in the morning
One very positive note, depreciation on Brommy's is awesome, the 2nd hand values are high. I bought mine on "cycle to work" effectively saving 40% so I can still sell it for what I paid :)

I am a but Rohloff fan too, but an expensive upgrade!

Thanks for all the replies. Understand the comments about Brompton but want a big wheeled bike. Really like the Tern P27 joe but pricey, advantage is undo clips, fold with wheels attached and bobs yer uncle.Nice and simple but you pay for the privilege. Neighbour has a Montague folder which is even more expensive. The search continues. Sods law when this covivid stuff is over there will be a glut of bikes available and i wont need one, hey ho.

Buy a Brompton, even if you think you shouldn’t. Why? Because, you’ll end up buying one, knowing that it is what you should have bought in the first place.

Airnimal folding bikes

Have a look at Airnimal folding bikes, they do several types; and you can get case for them that fit on planes at no extra cost , they have 24” wheels and any type of gears you want , I have had on for ten years and been all over the world with it, mine is Chamelion model, I am 6’3” and it fits me fine with an XL frame.
Worth a look

Reise and Muller Birdy. Bigger wheels than the Brompton and rides better. Go for the Rolhoff hub gears.

Tern p24 sourced, ideal for what I need. May upgrade the non folder at a later stage. Now averaging 20k daily with up to 35k on a good day. Hopefully keep it up.
Thanks for all the responses, cheers, Ron.

Reise and Muller Birdy. Bigger wheels than the Brompton and rides better. Go for the Rolhoff hub gears.

What he said - 18" wheels but you can upgrade to 20" which is easily good enough for trail riding. Full suspension. Better than a brompton just fooking pricey. I'd love one, been watching them for a while and always look out for them - very rare bit of kit.

Back
Top Bottom