Send a gpx file to friends.

Flaming T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Unsure if this should be here or under the BaseCamp section....

Anyway. I have a route in my Nav5 and said I would send the gpx file to a friend to load into his. I thought this would be as simple as doing a ‘copy/paste’ from the ‘Apps’ route that shows when you open up BaseCamp... clearly not. What I can see are gpx files listed as ‘file 1’ etc but cannot tell which is which from the saved routes that I have.

Any advice would be helpful :beerjug:

Are you using a Mac or a PC?

The route on your Nav V will have a name. Find a route with the same name and export it to your desktop. From there, attach the file to an email, just like you’d attach any other file.

PS This assumes you mean a route, as opposed to a track.

PC.... I’ll take another look but the routes were numbered. Thanks Wapping.

Click on the route with your cursor.
It will highlight the relevant route/track in the bottom part of the left-hand column on the Basecamp window. That is your route data.

Now, "File" > "Export Selected User Data", and then follow what Wapping said. Save the .gpx file on your desktop and send it via email.

If you ride with your friend and he just wants the route loaded on his nav, when you meet up you can Bluetooth it between navs also

If you ride with your friend and he just wants the route loaded on his nav, when you meet up you can Bluetooth it between navs also

Can you do that with a Nav 5 ?

I tried with mine a few times but was never successful

the 595 seems to have the feature but I could never find it on the 5

Oh
And whichever way you do it if his settings and maps are not exactly the same as the ones where the route was created his unit will adjust it to his settings

Can you do that with a Nav 5 ?

I tried with mine a few times but was never successful

the 595 seems to have the feature but I could never find it on the 5

Oh
And whichever way you do it if his settings and maps are not exactly the same as the ones where the route was created his unit will adjust it to his settings

I've done it from a Nav VI to a Nav V via bluetooth, so assume it would work the other way around

PC.... I’ll take another look but the routes were numbered. Thanks Wapping.

Does the route have a name, other than ‘File 1’ on your Nav V?

When routes are created in BaseCamp, they are given a default name, along the lines of A (start point) to B (end point). It is usually how people search for and find them in the device in order to run them. That default name can then be altered in BaseCamp to something that makes sense to the device’s owner. For example, I might call it, say: ‘Paris from Lyon, avoiding motorways’, in other words something that I would remember when I was stood in Lyon and wanted to ride to Paris, along a route I had created, avoiding motorways.

The name given to the route should also appear in BaseCamp, making it easy to identify the correct file.

It would perhaps really help if you could take a screenshot of your computer screen, so that we could see what you are seeing.

Yup, the Nav V can receive and send routes to another compatible Garmin device.

Back
Top Bottom