Losing pressure

Nutty

Reaction score
Since switching to tubeless (not done by me, so done properly :p), the tyre pressures keep dropping. The rear, slightly, but the front suddenly dropped yesterday, although I hadn’t ridden it.

There’s no sealant leaking out, and no obvious signs of punctures, so is it normal for tubeless tyres to drop in pressure, when mainly riding off-road?

Unless the tyre is not seated properly the spokes are leaking I guess.

Can’t really answer your question as my tubed tyres don’t leak at all .
Why did you fuck with it ??? You always have to ‘fettle’, don’t you ? :)))

Pump them up hard around 65 to 70 psi and rotate both wheels to make sure the gloop distributes and leave over night. See if it drops in the morning.

Can’t really answer your question as my tubed tyres don’t leak at all .
Why did you fuck with it ??? You always have to ‘fettle’, don’t you ? :)))

Because every fucker on here and the ebike forum reckons that tubeless is the way to go. :blast

Pump them up hard around 65 to 70 psi and rotate both wheels to make sure the gloop distributes and leave over night. See if it drops in the morning.

Will give that a whirl. :thumb

The tire must be run for at least 25 km directly after the sealent is added. If the instructions for the first assembly are ignored, the sealing of the tire cannot be guaranteed.

they lose pressure, we have to live with it, takes less than a minute before you set off to sort, still way better than tubes so hold in there

The tire must be run for at least 25 km directly after the sealent is added. If the instructions for the first assembly are ignored, the sealing of the tire cannot be guaranteed.

I’ve done around 200 miles since the conversion.

they lose pressure, we have to live with it, takes less than a minute before you set off to sort, still way better than tubes so hold in there

Ah, ok, but the front was almost flat. It’s the first time that’s happened since the conversion to tubeless. I’ve checked the spokes and they’re all ok, could it be the valves? There’s a small bit of play in them, so should they be as tight as possible on the wheel? I know that may sound like an odd question, but they may be designed to not be, to protect against damaging the wheels? :nenau

they do feel fairly loose but the sealing rubber on the valve is soft to get a good seal, guy who did your wheel might have not put enough in or used the best product, or heaven forbid you might have a puncture:D
stans tyre seal is best on market

they do feel fairly loose but the sealing rubber on the valve is soft to get a good seal, guy who did your wheel might have not put enough in or used the best product, or heaven forbid you might have a puncture:D
stans tyre seal is best on market

Will see how the pressure holds up overnight. :thumb

ive got some stan sealant FOC if you need any

I checked my pressures for 4-5 days after going tubeless. There was no pattern to pressure loss, sometimes 2-3 psi sometimes 10 overnight. I did fully deflate them then pumped up to max and that seemed to help but the word seems to be “they all do that, sir” so I’ve just got used to checking before I go out for a ride. From what I’ve learned low pressure MTB tyres lose less than road tyres. I’m running 25mm tyres at 70psi. Before going tubeless I ran 25mm at 95-100 psi. The difference in comfort is very noticeable and the difference in rolling resistance isn’t.

I’ve done a couple of bikes now and my take on it is pump them up to max pressure indicated on the side of the tyre, rotate the wheels to ensure all the tyre is coated (if you dont want to take the wheel off then lie the bike down on both sides and slowly spin the wheels)

Leave it pumped hard overnight.

Oh, and the valve nut should be about as tight as you can get it with your fingers.

Neither of mine lose any noticeable pressure now.

Try some soapy water around the tyre and valve after you have pumped them up to look for leaks.

Back
Top Bottom