Moto Guzzi oxford

Ash

Oh Yes....
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What was the name of the old dealership in oxford city centre...?

Was it Oxford Motorcycle Engineers...? They did H-D too...went there with my ironed sportster once in 1984.

Was it Oxford Motorcycle Engineers...? They did H-D too...went there with my ironed sportster once in 1984.

Fanks
That's the name I had in my mind..

OME did Ducati too ...... traded out of Hythe Bridge Street Oxford IIRC. The whole Italian bike sales network was so different back then, run by enthusiasts rather than target driven suits.

Went through Oxford city centre today on a bimble & went past the old shop....

I'm certain that's the place I got my Le Mans from,part exchanged with my Kawasaki Z1000ST.......the workshop was upstairs so they had this feckin big elevator to punt the bikes up to the workshop.

Gavin. The Guzzi man from OME is trading from home as GBH. Gavins Bike Hospital. :thumby:

Bought a V50 from them in 86 or 87. Oliver in parts was good for Morini 3 1/2 spares too. Bloody long way up the stairs if I recall!

OME - a prpoer bike shop...

In the early 90's I used to cycle into work in Oxford city centre and would occasionally detour via Hythe Bridge Street just to press my nose against the window of OME's tiny showroom to gaze at the Italian exotica. Ducati was (and is) my bag. I also seem to recall a series of beautifully etched glass panels running above a number of the neighbouring shop windows, all feauturing motoring scenes. I guess the whole block must have been a garage at some point?
At the time I had a Ducati 500SL & used to call in at OME for spares occasionally, climbing those steep back steps. No real suprise that I ended up buying a new machine from them, only my 2nd ever brand new bike. As usual I went in for some bits and bobs for the Pantah - but this time came out clutching paperwork for a '92 900 Superlight. I think it was Pete, one of the co-owners, who twisted my arm. Didn't take much doing and he did me a good deal, a chunk off list price for a bike that was then, as now, pretty sought after. Still cost a bloody fortune - but it was a pleasure to do business with a proper bike shop, one interested in looking after its' regular customers. I do seem to recall the spares guy as a big grumpy bloke in a brown coat glowering from behind the counter - but I might be confusing him with a character from Ogri...
I moved away soon after and didn't go back until fairly recently. All has changed of course, even those beautiful glass etchings have gone. I hope somebody hung onto them. Nearly three decades later & I've hung onto that Superlight. I think it's a keeper... I've had other bikes too, mostly European, but never a Moto Guzzi. However, thanks to the info from others on here about the deals currently available on the V85tt, I'm teetering on the cusp of what would be only my 3rd ever brand new bike...

Back
Top Bottom