Advice - buy wheeled tools cabinet with tools

kurienp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Look at Halfords Professional tools and their cabinets, good quality and affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd buy a wheeled tool chest and tools separately.
As Nin says, Halfords Professional is decent kit and they often have 50% off sales. I'd certainly not be rushing in to buying kit at the full price it seems to be at present but depending on what you already have, a good socket set, a couple of torque wrenches, pro screwdriver set etc etc. Then simply buy anything specific as and when you require it (rather than buying a big box and 200 items, many of which may never get used)

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/stc1000-mechanics-8-drawer-tool-box-chest-cabinet £110 on a cabinet

+1 on the SGS tool chest.
Friend of mine bought it some time ago, very good for that price.

Resisting myself to buy one too at the moment.

If you do look at the Halfords range, the professional is excellent, check out the trade card. You would be surprised who is eligible and the discount is very good.

+1 on the SGS tool chest.
Friend of mine bought it some time ago, very good for that price.

Resisting myself to buy one too at the moment.

Yep, great purchase that SGS one. The top piece is removeable so you can have it on a bench and use the top of the wheeled section as a portable work bench if you want. I have a Clarke toolbox too from Machine Mart which is not as good as the SGS stuff. Halfords tool chests seem decent but quite a bit more than SGS.

I'd echo other advice above - get one of the Halford's Advanced discounted socket sets and then just add extra bits you need. I think I have 100 or 120 piece set which is a good starter pack and in time have added more hex and torx bits, torque wrenches, t-bars, more spanners and a few other bits and pieces. I've used most things in the set bar the smallest and imperial sockets.

I'd buy a wheeled tool chest and tools separately.
As Nin says, Halfords Professional is decent kit and they often have 50% off sales. I'd certainly not be rushing in to buying kit at the full price it seems to be at present but depending on what you already have, a good socket set, a couple of torque wrenches, pro screwdriver set etc etc. Then simply buy anything specific as and when you require it (rather than buying a big box and 200 items, many of which may never get used)

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/stc1000-mechanics-8-drawer-tool-box-chest-cabinet £110 on a cabinet

+1 for the SGS tool chest. For the price they’re hard to beat.

Even my father a die hard “nothing but snap on will do” was impressed with the quality.

I bought this one after my dad insisted that the size below Just wasn’t big enough :rob and it’s cavernous
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/stc4200tb-professional-19-drawer-roll-away-tool-chest-cabinet

I would say that when buying a socket set, get a good quality one - but don't get fooled with "xxx pieces" as you will often find 40 or so the pieces are just cheap bit drivers - and you can pick those up for a song.

Just get the base socket set itself, then add some good quality sets of Torx, Hex socket bits etc. Also buy a socket tray that has rails to put in one of your toolbox drawers. Then all the previously mentioned socket bits live there.

Snap on are not worth the money, you are paying for a man in a van to give you instant credit. The others have all caught up and offer lifetime warranties. Sealey draper etc. Long as you go for the professional kit. Not domestic.

It all depends on what you need to use, one of the worst ways to spend money is to buy a complete kit. Yes the price will be good but a lot of stuff you will never use. If you have money to burn then do for it, if you are a complete tightwad like me, buy the cabinet, spend a bit of time on the amount of drawers you need in. Local facebay and evil bay are often selling secondhand tools for next to nothing and they are very often good quality. Did I mention I’m a tightwad?

If you want to buy new, then there are companies who have offers now and again but one who has consistently low prices is Lawson-his in Southampton. Worth a look.

I have never used Halfords buy a number of people who use tools daily are very happy with the quality.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY STUPIDLY LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY FOR QUALITY TOOLS. But you can if you want.

Back
Top Bottom