Gas Shock problem

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My HP2 is currently in at Bahnstormer Maidenhead for a service.

When it went in the shock was was fine, pumped up and all, but yesterday (over a week after it went in) they called me to say the shock wouldn't hold air, which came as a surprise.

Given they freely admitted they've never seen an HP2 before, and it was fine when it went in, what could they have done to bugger it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have they tried to pump it up and it's something as simple as shit stuck in the valve and its leaking. it's only a tyre type valve.
If not I wouldn't have a clue, unless it's just unlucky that it was there when the seals eventually went on it??

Yes, they've pumped it up (although it was pumped up when it went in) and now it fails to hold air.
They seem pretty clueless but on the basis the sales manager worked at BMW in 2006 and once saw an HP2, the general feeling is "some internal seals have failed"

The shock is 6 years old and has done 1000 miles

Am I better off just getting it back from them?

Hold it under water and see where leak is?

Option to take it out of bike first of course, or after the rains yesterday there must be some suitable trails near you................

Have they pumped it up with the right pump? If they don’t know sh1t they might not have the right kit.

My mountain bike has an air shock that’s been abused, power washed, generally left to corrode, and still works fine. It shouldn’t be the seals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Have they pumped it up with the right pump?

If they don’t know sh1t they might not have the right kit.

My mountain bike has an air shock that’s been abused, power washed, generally left to corrode, and still works fine. It shouldn’t be the seals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, this ^^^^^^

If they have used the normal garage airline they have probably fecked it, with too much volume of air going in too fecking fast:blast

It needs a low air volume, but high pressure mountain bike hand pump (normally stored under the seat) to 150 psi or more

I bet they just used the garage tyre airline and put too much air volume in and fucked up the air bladder.................:blast

I would start with “Show me how you pumped it up”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I reseated the seals in one of mine once.

I deflated the shock, lifted up the bottom of the airbag to reveal a collar, shaft and the rubber seal(s?) that sit on or around the collar. I greased them with rubber grease then re inflated the shock. Didn't lose air after.

If you need one, there's a one on ebay from a seller in the states.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162427056324

And a new one from italy
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162427056324

I asked that and they claimed they used a hand pump - but I'm not sure I believe that - why would they even have one?

Yes, this ^^^^^^

If they have used the normal garage airline they have probably fecked it, with too much volume of air going in too fecking fast:blast

It needs a low air volume, but high pressure mountain bike hand pump (normally stored under the seat) to 150 psi or more

I bet they just used the garage tyre airline and put too much air volume in and fucked up the air bladder.................:blast

Could be a good reason to get an Ohlins or other shock. Never had a problem with the original shock myself.

Yes, that was the plan, just didn't want to do it now as I've just spent money refurbing our 690's.

Shock choice seems to be ohlins, Wilbur, tractive, tfx,

Well, it now seems the shock is fine (and always was). They let the air out trying to pump it up, but it was either the "wrong type of pump" or the pump was broken so they couldn't pump it back up. Took just a little over 3 weeks for this diagnosis.

However, now it's pumped up, they are too busy to be able to do the service, plus apparently one of the spokes needs tightening and "you need a special tool for that" - which they don't have. I've never looked closely at the HP2 wheels, but are thy really much different from any of the other spoke wheels on other bikes?

Good job its not my daily ride!

Back
Top Bottom