R1100GS vs R100GS? Dilemma....

Dave T

Reaction score
Morning all!
After my 1200GS being written off many years back, I currently have a nice, low miles (23K)1100GS sat in the garage, but.....I have opportunity to buy what seems like a very nice R100GS. Realistically, I don't have the room for 2 bikes, so it's one or the other.
Now, there's nothing wrong with my 1100, in fact I rather like it, and going from a 1200 to an 1100 was a surprise - I preferred the 1100 ;) but the R100GS is the first bike I remember seeing and knowing what it was... I was about 6 or 7, sat in the back of my folk's car on Castle Street in Liverpool when this massive blue and white thing with '1000' on the tank roared passed us, two up... Anyway, enough reminiscing :blagblah

My question to the good folks of UKGSer is R1100 or R100? I know it's my decision, and I have to go and actually see/ride the R100, but I'd be interested in the thoughts of those who have ridden/owned both... :rob
Cheers in advance for any opinions...
Dave.

I have had both, in the past, stick with what you have now :)

I’ve had both. I sold my R100GS when we moved, to help with funds, back in 1991. I loved that bike and it was a real wrench to part with it.
I had the 1100GS about 8 years or so ago. It was a superb bike, lovely engine, loads of power BUT the bulk and the weight made it so difficult to handle for me. I remember arriving at a club meeting, the only parking space left in a crowded car park was on a steepish downhill bay. I had to go in nose first. It took three of us to get it out of there again!
I have an R80GS at present and it feels like a Bantam in comparison.

Never ridden an R100GS, but my first was the 1100 and that gearbox (post '97) is just so right; better imho than the 1150, so stick where you are.

I have had both, in the past, stick with what you have now :)

Me too, had both 1100GS and 100GS, the 1100's that came out in 1994 are all the previous generation of airhead GS WEREN'T, in terms of chassis/handling/braking and power

1100GS over airhead GS, for me

Had a few of each.

Mooching around locally, doing some green lanes? The 100, they ooze character.

Need to go further afield, a couple of hundred miles at decent pace with luggage for the weekend? Then it's the 1100.

Both brilliant, but suit your choice to the riding you're likely to want to do.

Buy the R100GS and run both bikes for a while and you can then make up your own mind, however, I have done this a few times and still couldn't decide as I wanted to keep both.

I have had an R100GS and a few R1150GS's and I loved the R100GS and should not have sold it, but if you are doing regular proper miles I would keep the R1100GS.

Buy the R100GS and run both bikes for a while and you can then make up your own mind, however, I have done this a few times and still couldn't decide as I wanted to keep both.

I have had an R100GS and a few R1150GS's and I loved the R100GS and should not have sold it, but if you are doing regular proper miles I would keep the R1100GS.

Make room for both. You know it makes sense. :thumby:

You're not helping matters..... :D

Well, in some ways this became a bit academic. The R100 is off to a new home that isn't mine. Thanks to all who replied, and I'm going to take all of your advice... I'm keeping the R1100... and going to look for a R100 project that could live in the shed while it's being fettled....:aidan

Good work. Airheads are great bikes.

I have an 1150 and 3 airheads. When ever I go somewhere on the 1150, I always wish I had the airhead to ride around the destination.

If you can make room do so, you'll find that one compliments the other.

Back
Top Bottom