Garmin alternative

Petefinlay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been trying to plot routes on Garmin Base amp to put into my satnav, but find it very user unfriendly.
Does anyone know of an alternative program that is easier to use?

Cheers,
Pete

Although it may cause RedRick Esq. a measure of congnitive dissonance, I also like BaseCamp. Learning how to use it was not the work of a moment but I can plot a route for the ACU National Rally with it and cover 540 miles or so without getting badly lost. It's worth persevering with.

There is a heck of a lot of user guidance in the Garmin sub-forum. You would really benefit from reading some of that

I’d suggest that you:

A. Look for some guidance and assistance in the dedicated GPS section, both in regard to BaseCamp and its alternatives.

B. Work out if your reluctance to pay a subscription to UKGSer (on whom you are reliant for help on assorted topics) is in some way linked to your apparent reluctance to pay a subscription to MyRoute, too.

C. Try a bit harder with BaseCamp (which was at least free with your expensive Garmin device) or at least start to explain what your problems with BaseCamp are, so that we can try to help you. As regards the latter, in the GPS section, unless your difficulty relates only to installing or running BaseCamp on your home computer.

D. Read in the GPS section that MyRoute app has run into some cost issues with Google maps. Quite what affect this might have with the ongoing workings of MyRoute, I have no idea.

The google map issue for MRA, has no real impact on its usage. They are now using Open Street Map instead, which most other apps use as google are pricing their maps usage out of others hands. But the key thing is, MRA pays for HERE maps, which is Garmin and the Tom Tom maps, so you can compare the route you have made against other maps to make sure if you are sharing the routes will be the same. It can also import and export to all the major nav apps for sharing any routes you have made. But if you have learnt Basecamp and only have a Garmin, then its a good option.

MyRouteApp to plan, export as gpx file. Import the gpx file, recalculate to fix the straight lines issue then zap it into the Garmin and Robert’s your father’s brother.

Best of both worlds, and very low cost as you only have to pay for the planning part of MRA (which is the best bit)

MyRouteApp to plan, export as gpx file. Import the gpx file, recalculate to fix the straight lines issue then zap it into the Garmin and Robert’s your father’s brother.

Best of both worlds, and very low cost as you only have to pay for the planning part of MRA (which is the best bit)

If you export as GPX 1.0 it imports with no straight lines. Then just go into the route on the Nav and change whichever waypoints to shaping points that you want and all is good.

Back
Top Bottom