LED headlight

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As per the title has anyone tried one of the aftermarket LED headlight conversions that are available for the F800GS (but all seem to originate from China) and vary from £150 up to £300 depending on where they are sourced.

Never sure about reviews on the net but interested in the view of someone who has actually bought the product with regards to quality , fit and longevity

Attachments

• f800 led.png
    f800 led.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 644
Hi Neil,

I was going to ask this very same question as my headlight is getting a bit foggy.
:beerjug:

I purchased one about five years ago when I had the f800gs and it seemed to work fine in the time I had it , theres a post on advriders with user feedback on them.

Cant speak for the 800gs but i fitted one last week to my 1200gs. The light came from germany but the PayPal receipt was in Chinese and it was £226 on eBay. Fitting was fairly straight forward but did need a couple of washers as spacers to get a good fit. First impressions are very good- not only does it make the bike more modern in appearance but it makes it more visible, especially in the wing mirrors of the rider in front I've been told. The only thing Ive got left to do is to try it in the dark but the beam pattern seems to be good when I've tried it in a dark industrial unit.
Hope this helps

Excellent thanks , take it they have an asymetrical dip beam ie no kick up.

If I buy one and it is any good might end up with one on the r1200gsa lc as well

Excellent thanks , take it they have an asymetrical dip beam ie no kick up.

If I buy one and it is any good might end up with one on the r1200gsa lc as well

That correct- there is no kick up. They are also CE marked, now whether they have ever passed a test or not to get a CE mark is anyones guess but at least its there if the police or mot man want to have a look!

Any pics?

What is the plastic quality like, have seen some Chinese stuff where the plastic seemed very brittle

My headlight had hazing where a previous owner had installed a cheap HID. The bike's always had a standard H7 bulb with me until I recently replaced it with a cyclops bulb.

The difference is amazing - and it passed the MOT with it fitted too - certainly worth the £80.

i realise it's slightly off topic, but may be another option for people.

D

I changed to Cyclops bulbs on my F700GS about 3 yrs ago. Had to do some fettling on the twist on caps to give clearance. Lights are a lot better especially when riding at night in the country.
Halfa 1200

I changed to Cyclops bulbs on my F700GS about 3 yrs ago. Had to do some fettling on the twist on caps to give clearance. Lights are a lot better especially when riding at night in the country.
Halfa 1200

+1 on the cyclops
Astounding difference, night turns to day..

Expensive maybe, but they work...

Any pics?

What is the plastic quality like, have seen some Chinese stuff where the plastic seemed very brittle

I can put you onto someone who’d probably be able to make you Perspex headlight protectors if you send him a template. They fix on with little 3M Velcro type pads and look pretty good on the bikes I’ve fitted them to. I asked if he could make different shaped ones and he said cut out a template and he’d have a look which is all you can ask really.

I’ve got them on round headlights which means he can form them to give a convex outer surface to clear water but that’s probably not possible on a more difficult shape.

I've had one of these LED headlights on my F800GS for about 1.5 years and 3,000 miles now. It works very well and is a notable improvement from the OEM headlight. Passed MOT without any issues. I'd recommend it.

By the way- these are all made in the same Chinese factory, so I'd recommend purchasing from the cheapest but reliable seller.

I had two sets on the Hexhead ,

they were sourced via the bay,

the first set had external ballast / power boxes, the led that failed was the high beam, one side of the LEd array died

the low beam was still going strong

The set i got for a replacement, had the ignitor electronics built into the heatsink, bulb rear

i was expecting to have a blue light, and a white light, but the colour match / temperature was spot on

They were still in the bike when i sold it

I fitted one from Aliexpress at $216 on my wife's f650 then transferred it to her F700 and it works great. fits perfect and looks excellent.

I have one on order which I will receive in the end of August. Bought from the WISH application. I will post pictures and first impressions.

I purchased one of these Chinese LED headlight units a couple of months ago and I have to say that I am very pleased with it indeed. Better quality manufacture than the original BMW unit and much stronger light with a better spread. No complaints from me. Highly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom