Yikes!

JonWA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have progressed from 310GS to R9T over last 18months as a returning biker, before realising R9T (which I really enjoy) is a dry weather bike and not very comfortable after an hour or so. Started looking at 1250 and have arranged test ride at next service, but reading some of the reliability issues here has me hesitating. Realise that there are lots of conflicting opinions, and probably have to tread carefully, maybe look for second hand with more than 1k miles, or 1200, or just stick with R9T and get a comfy seat. Any thoughts?

Have progressed from 310GS to R9T over last 18months as a returning biker, before realising R9T (which I really enjoy) is a dry weather bike and not very comfortable after an hour or so. Started looking at 1250 and have arranged test ride at next service, but reading some of the reliability issues here has me hesitating. Realise that there are lots of conflicting opinions, and probably have to tread carefully, maybe look for second hand with more than 1k miles, or 1200, or just stick with R9T and get a comfy seat. Any thoughts?

My R9T is comfy for me for a fairly long ride but it's the rear shock I need to change; I'm not heavy enough for the standard one!

What "1250" are you considering? reliability issues? not in my experience? as the best selling bike out there the sheer numbers mean more problems seem evident than lower selling bikes, but generally the 1250 engine is BMW's best yet :thumb2

Seat comfort is as khulu mentioned ok on my standard R9t,
Last year i went to the south of france and covered 2300 miles with no issues,
Took the air hawk i had on the gs just in case but didnt use it much ,But it does help if a seat is biting on long rides,
I did replace the harsh/ firm rear shock which does improve ride considerably,
Having gone back to the twin cam running gear in the R9t it does have reliability and simplicity in its favour,
I do have a givi screen which is similar to the wunderlich touring screen, for bad weather and longer trips,

I guess with the R9t I've avoided wet weather, partly being a bit precious about the bike and partly because if you go out in bad weather you get covered in crap. It feels like a bike designed to work in muddy/wet conditions would be ok getting muddy and wet. Ok, I know that doesn't make much sense. Interesting to hear about comfort on the 9t, I went for a 2.5 hr out and back trip and finished up very keen to get off the bike. Went out on on the road bicycle immediately afterwards for an hour and found the hard narrow saddle and no suspension at all much more comfortable! its a different thing, and maybe what I'm used to. Perhaps just need to ride the 9t more. As for reliability, I guess its the luck of the draw, but a bike thats been used and loved sounds like a good plan, much like the R9t was. :okay

What "1250" are you considering? reliability issues? not in my experience? as the best selling bike out there the sheer numbers mean more problems seem evident than lower selling bikes, but generally the 1250 engine is BMW's best yet :thumb2

1250 GS TE. Noted, as high volume bike, any issues are going to more frequently reported

Back
Top Bottom