Knott End.

Alfresco fine dining in Knott End today. Al ordered a large fish and myself a medium. Proper portions.:thumb2

PS, We both had Diet Coke because we're calorie conscious.:D

Attachments

• IMG_20210827_130818837_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210827_130818837_HDR.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 143
Following our last visit in August, and after traversing the freezing Lancashire planes we pushed on
a further half mile to our goal, the Knott End Cafe.

As we battled the last few yards our spirits were raised with thoughts of a warm table to sit at, which
would be adorned with eggs, bacon and mugs of hot tea. We rolled onto the car park full of joyous anticipation,
then our hearts sunk.:(

It was closed.

I now know the feeling Capt.Scott must have had when he found Amundsens flag at the South Pole.

Attachments

• IMG_20211125_120155024_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211125_120155024_HDR.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 94
Yeh, but we both got fed well down the road. £10.30 for a large pot of tea for two, and two portions of sausage, egg, chips, beans and two slices of bread+butter for the chip butties. Heaven :)

Yeh, but we both got fed well down the road. £10.30 for a large pot of tea for two, and two portions of sausage, egg, chips, beans and two slices of bread+butter for the chip butties. Heaven :)

You saved the day with your back up plan.:beerjug: That pot of tea was like a bucket with a spout fitted.:D

Amy's kitchen IIRC, on Lancaster Road near a church. She's quite nice as well, easy on the eye, IYKWIM :)

Had a nice ride out to Knott End Chippy for my lunch today. The sea front was busy, so I had my cod and chips outside. The pavement cafe experience is so Parisiene. Please note the can of diet coke on the table (I'm making an effort) :D

I then went through to Cockerham and over to the trough of Bowland and skirted the hills overlooking Morecambe bay, and then picked up the M6 at Preston. Not many bikes out today considering the weather.

Attachments

• knottend chippy.jpg
    knottend chippy.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 94
  • 650int morecambe bay.jpg
    650int morecambe bay.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 87
The R.E. is looking good Al. Was up that way myself round the Forest Of Bowland. Up to Clitheroe, through Waddington, then on to Slaidburn for coffee and cake at the cafe. No chance Shut !!! Anyone know if closed indefinitely or just Mondays?? So on to Settle for fish & chips {sorry no pics}.Then blast back down the M6. Will meet up with you and Stu to carry on the best batter in the area survey. That looks a nice view overlooking Morecambe Bay.
Rob.

Hi Rob, the cafe at Slaidburn is one of my favourites, it's usually shut on Mondays, I much preferred it when old Joe used to run it, I think it had a friendlier atmosphere back then. Unfortunately I'm only able to get out on Mondays and Fridays, so I tend to do Knott End and Glasson dock on Mondays. The Knott End cafe by the ferry looked shut yesterday, so the cosmopolitan french pavement cafe look of the chippy caught my eye.

The chippy on the Market square in Settle is pretty good, we'll have to meet up again to compare notes :)

The Market Square chippy was shut. Had to force meself to the one down the high st. Bit of a queue on but worth the wait. :okay Must be a Monday closing theme in the area.

There's a cracking Cafe at Glasson Dock worth visiting if you're heading to Knott End...

It's called Quayside - https://www.thequaysideglasson.co.uk/ and they have a chippy night on a Friday night

(not the bang average Lock Keeper's Rest that bikers all seem to flock to, which I can't understand)

Had a nice ride out to Knott End Chippy for my lunch today. The sea front was busy, so I had my cod and chips outside. The pavement cafe experience is so Parisiene. Please note the can of diet coke on the table (I'm making an effort) :D

The Diet Coke makes all the difference.:D
I prefer that chippy to the cafe. Top fish and chips there.:thumb2

The R.E. is looking good Al. Was up that way myself round the Forest Of Bowland. Up to Clitheroe, through Waddington, then on to Slaidburn for coffee and cake at the cafe. No chance Shut !!! Anyone know if closed indefinitely or just Mondays?? So on to Settle for fish & chips {sorry no pics}.Then blast back down the M6. Will meet up with you and Stu to carry on the best batter in the area survey. That looks a nice view overlooking Morecambe Bay.
Rob.

I made the same mistake at the Slaidburn Cafe one Monday last year.
It's a bugger when you're gasping for a cuppa.

There's a cracking Cafe at Glasson Dock worth visiting if you're heading to Knott End...

It's called Quayside - https://www.thequaysideglasson.co.uk/ and they have a chippy night on a Friday night

(not the bang average Lock Keeper's Rest that bikers all seem to flock to, which I can't understand)

Re Glasson Dock, I've used the cafe that is a sort of wooden hut where you sit outside, but I don't know what it's called. I've also used the cafe on the right corner as you pass over the lift bridge, I can't recall what that's called either. I sometimes wonder how I get through everyday life with a memory like mine :D
I still prefer Knott End for my grub stop though.

PS. I've just looked at the Quayside menu, the Big Quay brekkie looks good, I may just drag Stu over there for Brunch one day. :thumb

Re Glasson Dock, I've used the cafe that is a sort of wooden hut where you sit outside, but I don't know what it's called. I've also used the cafe on the right corner as you pass over the lift bridge, I can't recall what that's called either. I sometimes wonder how I get through everyday life with a memory like mine :D
I still prefer Knott End for my grub stop though.

PS. I've just looked at the Quayside menu, the Big Quay brekkie looks good, I may just drag Stu over there for Brunch one day. :thumb

Quayside used to be the Bistro thing on the corner. It changed hands last year and it’s fantastic now! You should definitely give it a go

The Market Square chippy was shut. Had to force meself to the one down the high st. Bit of a queue on but worth the wait. :okay

If this is the one opposite the car park it is, IMHO, the better chippy. Last time I used it they still used artery bursting full fat lard for frying, much better than the healthier veg. oil carp! ;)

It's called Quayside - https://www.thequaysideglasson.co.uk/
Fully agree with that, our IAM group have been using this cafe, both under the 'Lantern O'er Lune' and 'Quayside' names, for breakfast meets for many a year.

Quayside used to be the Bistro thing on the corner. It changed hands last year and it’s fantastic now! You should definitely give it a go
As I mentioned above, it was called the Lantern O'er Lune for many years until the people that own the shop next door (that also served drinks and bacon butties, etc.) took it over and changed the name to the Quayside. The previous owners, who had it for about 5 or 6 years, upgraded it to a 'Bistro', but they did excellent breakfasts, much better than the people that had it before them, they upped the quality no end. Something, I'm glad to say, the new owners have continued with. I can highly recommend this cafe.

If this is the one opposite the car park it is, IMHO, the better chippy. Last time I used it they still used artery bursting full fat lard for frying, much better than the healthier veg. oil carp! ;)

Fully agree with that, our IAM group have been using this cafe, both under the 'Lantern O'er Lune' and 'Quayside' names, for breakfast meets for many a year.

As I mentioned above, it was called the Lantern O'er Lune for many years until the people that own the shop next door (that also served drinks and bacon butties, etc.) took it over and changed the name to the Quayside. The previous owners, who had it for about 5 or 6 years, upgraded it to a 'Bistro', but they did excellent breakfasts, much better than the people that had it before them, they upped the quality no end. Something, I'm glad to say, the new owners have continued with. I can highly recommend this cafe.

I know you’ve been using it… I’m in your IAM group :friday (Simon K)

Hi Simon, I did wonder if it may be you by your user name!
However, from what I've read on FB you'll not be using it much longer as you'll soon be a Southern shandy drinker?
I hope the move goes well.
(Bob B)

Hi Simon, I did wonder if it may be you by your user name!
However, from what I've read on FB you'll not be using it much longer as you'll soon be a a Southern shandy drinker?
I hope the move goes well.
(Bob B)

Yeah that’s correct. I’m off to Sizewell B. Life is very hectic at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom