Upgrading 1150RT suspension

GoldenGS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there

I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experience in doing this and any useful tips or recommendations. I've treated my other bike to enough fettling over the years so it's only fair I give the RT some attention.

Many thanks.

Me personally if money not problem go with ohlins or wilbers bit cheaper but also good.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Money is always a problem :)

Does anyone upgrade the front shock as well as the rear unit?

OEM Shocks were good when new IMO, your 18?yo shocks will be tired by now

Consider having them refurbished, I have had two done by Firefox (Keighley) & was pleased with improvement. Also search Denz0 on here, does refurbs & well regarded, not used him myself

When my R1150RT got to about the 24K mark I decided that the suspension needed attention.
I fitted a pair of Maxton units front & rear.
As others have said on this, & other forums, the difference is night & day.
I was so impressed I later did my R1150R. You just know they are quality before they're even fitted.
Distinctive spring colour......

Attachments

• 072 copy.jpg
    072 copy.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 187
Does anyone upgrade the front shock as well as the rear unit?

I've not owned an RT but for the 3 GSs I had and upgraded their suspension,I did front and rear. Otherwise I'd imagine it would feel very weird with a new good shock at one end and the old tired one at the other.
(You're possibly looking at £800 to £1000 new, I'd start with looking at a refurb of the existing ones with perhaps new upgraded springs and fettled internals.)

Thanks for the tips chaps, MCT refurbed the shock on my Capo so I think they will be my first call (the lack of Covid-induced funds means I can't afford the pair of Ohlins on eBay ATM...)

Thanks for the tips chaps, MCT refurbed the shock on my Capo so I think they will be my first call (the lack of Covid-induced funds means I can't afford the pair of Ohlins on eBay ATM...)
MCT are a very helpful company.

After many oilheads and lots of all round miles on them I have never stressed too much about the shocks... The front is a very simple set up and has never stressed me but the back can get a little tired... I tried a used Shock Factory shock of the rear of an ST1100 and was very impressed with the damping balance and spring suppleness for a simple design... They are collar preload but that doesn't really bother me as I don't mind compromise and would never bother trying to be a Moto GP rider inset up ride to ride...

I always set my bikes up on the soft side and TBH most of the bikes I have bought or the times over the years I have spoken to folk about suspension, have only highlighted the fact that many people really don't need too much complication...

My RT at the mo might get a Shock Factory shock but the Ohlins etc route would double the cost of the bike which might not be necessary...:rolleyes:

+1 on Maxton. Have done a number of my old vfr smover the years. Top kit per unit cost imo. Its like a half price Ohlins basically, and from a v helpful firm.

When my R1150RT got to about the 24K mark I decided that the suspension needed attention.
I fitted a pair of Maxton units front & rear.
As others have said on this, & other forums, the difference is night & day.

I suspect that if you replaced the Maxtons after several years and 24k miles with new original shocks you'd also notice a huge difference and be full of praise for the OEM items compared to the tired old Maxtons.

I suspect that if you replaced the Maxtons after several years and 24k miles with new original shocks you'd also notice a huge difference and be full of praise for the OEM items compared to the tired old Maxtons.

I totally take the point about new OE would also have made a difference, but the 1150R only had about 8K on the clock, & that too was very different, for the better.

There's no comparison when it comes to quality, bespoke build, service and probably cheaper than OEM new.

There's no comparison when it comes to quality, bespoke build, service and probably cheaper than OEM new.

Obviously (and why i have Ohlins), but that's not the point i was making. :D.

Back
Top Bottom