2011 K1600GT SE

Decompressing

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Quick ask to the floor. Just bought this bike and waiting for to collect it. It's listed as having a low seat, although the BMW dealer say it's not (see picture). I think it is a low seat myself.

I see on the parts microfiche that the low seat option is described as "comfort".

Any views on the relative comfort (or not) between the standard two part seats and the low/comfort two-part seats?

Also looking for engine bars and may be interested in the higher "comfort screen if anyone has any of these lying around!

Cheers,

M

Attachments

• 69aaefd4506640e486b1769f143cb237.jpeg
    69aaefd4506640e486b1769f143cb237.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 460
In my experience of the standard seat, it went high enough to make it comfy for me at 6’3” with a 34” inside leg. And it’s the most comfy OE bike seat I’ve had.

My K had the CalSci Screen which was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same dimensions here!

I'm probably overly-worrying about it after my GSA standard seat experience (2012 TC), which my arse last about half an hour before I started feeling the discomfort!

In my experience of the standard seat, it went high enough to make it comfy for me at 6’3” with a 34” inside leg. And it’s the most comfy OE bike seat I’ve had.

My K had the CalSci Screen which was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used to run a 2012 GTSE. The standard seat & adjustable GT screen were fine for me, but we all have different limb ratios as well as expectations - personally I don't like riding behind large screens, I prefer to see over them & I dislike that feeling of back-pressure, which often translates into turbulence for the pillion.

That rider's seat certainly looks low, but may be the standard height set in the lower position (see 4/61 of the Rider's Manual). There should be a part number on the underside, so it's easy to check. Engine bars & rear crash bars to protect the panniers are a good idea, given the cost of tupperware.

Whilst a 9 Y/O bike will be relatively inexpensive by now, do remember parts prices on these things are eye-watering. Make sure you have a decent warranty, at least initially, & that the service record is impeccable. Also get your dealer to evidence all warranty work - these early K16s had a few issues with switch-gear, engine corrosion, some liked to turn left on their own & very occasionally they would lunch a gearbox or pick up fractures in the piston ringlands. All should have been sorted by now, including all the software updates - just make sure.

You can't fail to enjoy that creamy 6, probably the last of the breed with Euro 5 due next year. Have fun.

I have had the standard two-piece seats on all of my 1600 GTSE’s and found them fine, all day every day. I have never been convinced that the GS (at least of the 1200 non-WC variety) is a particularly comfortable bike or at least not as comfortable as bods like to make out. I see plenty of GS riders stretching their legs way before me. There again, I didn’t mind riding an S1000RR on tour.

The standard screen is absolutely fine by me, too. I’m 6’ in my stockings and don’t get troubled by wind blast, there again, see the bit about the S1000RR. What I do find though is that the infinitely adjustable screen sometimes need a bit of movement if the prevailing wind direction swings or if I am in ‘dirty air’ (get him and his F1 spark) on a motorway. Similarly, I like to adjust it to keep rain off my visor or then to blast rain or fly debris off.

This all chimes with the post above.

The more I look at it, the more convinced its a low seat. It appears to already be in the upper position judging by how the front sits high against the back of the tank cover. I'll get them to whip the seat off and check the number as I want a standard seat.

Yes, I've seen some of the eye-watering parts prices! Having said that, I drive an X5 so I'm no stranger to BMW's rip-off prices. This bike is a one-owner machine, only done 11k miles and is from a BM dealership, so I've got the two year warranty thing.

My major concern is the tyre wear thing but then again, I only got less than 6k mileage out of front and back tyres on my 2011 GSA!! (although at £180 for a pair of Tourances fitted, I wasn't too worried!!). These newer Chinky-made ones must be made poorly though-I'm sure I got much more mileage out of them years ago when they were German made. They also seemed to stick to the road better, but maybe that's rose-tinted specs for you!!

I've got Roadtecs on this new bike coming so that's something-I've ridden 1200RT's on those and they do feel good!

Yeah - pretty certain that is a low seat. I don't think the "comfort" seat is any more comfortable, just lower.

I have done 400 miles in a day with my wife on the back - we normally try and stop every 80 miles or so for a few minutes, but no real problems.

Have to agree with Wapping, they are reasonably OK as standard. I have a GSA as well and the GT is the more comfortable.

Fabulous bikes, congratulations on your new purchase.

I have a GT and standing on its main stand the seat is 84.5 cms high. I have a normal seat in the low position. As said before, the comfort seat is not any more comfortable to sit on, it’s just lower to the ground if you have a short inside leg.
Some say it’s really comfortable. I’m not sure. Long days on motorways gives me a sore arse so I put on an air hawk under me. ( The wife whips it out at traffic lights...). When I sit on the seat again it feels like a plank with 9 inch nails in it.
It has got better as the years pass . If I wear leathers I don’t suffer very much.
Wife very comfy though.

Roadtecs are great when new-ish, but wear into a funny shape. Rear squares off very quickly, front turns all pointy. I didn't think they were bad tyres, particularly, but neither did I think they were great.

I have Michelin Pilot 4 now. They are great and show no signs on uneven wear.

I’ve had two K1600’s. Neither were purchased from a BMW dealer and I haven’t had one single problem with either. The first was a 2011 with all the toys and my current one is a 2014 also with all the toys. They are a joy to ride and comfort wise compared with a GSA they are poles apart. You will not be disappointed. The standard crash bars for the bike are £250.
I’ve sent you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom