Seriously considering an R1200R...

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
... or an R1250R if I can get one cheap enough.

After selling my RT last week, I’ve been on the prowl for the next bike and the R is high on my list. Any advice about things to beware of or features that are highly desirable? For example, I’m not fussed about the quickshifter after hardly using it on the RT, but pretty keen to have ESA.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Great bikes, I have had a few and will probably get a 1250 version one day. I think of them as a smallish touring bike but then more fun when you get to your destination.

Great bikes, I have had a few and will probably get a 1250 version one day. I think of them as a smallish touring bike but then more fun when you get to your destination.

Thanks Mike. That makes a lot of sense to me.

I have the, RS same bike but with a fairing. I wanted the wind protection for touring .Really good bike. My next bike in the future will be something lighter that's the only reason it will be changed

Dont dis the quickshifter ;)

After thinking it was a pile of marketing poo,

I have to say other than the initial change into first, its QS from then on

the blip down shifts are nice too

I have the, RS same bike but with a fairing. I wanted the wind protection for touring .Really good bike. My next bike in the future will be something lighter that's the only reason it will be changed

Cheers, Peter. I’ll also look at the RS.

Dont dis the quickshifter ;)

After thinking it was a pile of marketing poo,

I have to say other than the initial change into first, its QS from then on

the blip down shifts are nice too

Thanks, Santa. I had the quickshifter on the 1250RT. I agree it’s good, but most of the time I didn’t bother with it.

Long story short. I recently swapped my 2013 Guzzi 1400 California for a 2017 model R1200R sport. I also have a V85TT Guzzi. What can I say, it's been a bit of a revelation for me. I wasn't looking at a 1200r, but it was on my list of possible swaps and the deal on the California was a very good deal.
I expected it to be a bit like a lower version of a GS, but it's so much more, slightly lighter, slightly quicker, and a whole bunch more fun to ride. Mine came with a low seat and even though I've only a 29" inside leg it was still a little cramped. I've now sourced a standard height seat and it's great. My feet are almost flat on the ground and legs are at a nice angle when on the pegs. I've also added a screen and handguards, which whilst detract slightly from the look of the bike, serve a useful purpose.
When I purchased the also had an R1200RS, which was very nice, but just a little to far forward for me, the R has a much more neutral seating position, having said that, I am 65.
The R1200R is an absolute belting bike, riding position is great, it's not as cumbersome as a GS, it handles really nicely and is fairly easy to manhandle. As for the 'Quickshifter', yes it's good and particularly nice when needing to drop a gear or two at speed. I find that you have to put a whole lot more pressure on the lever for up changes, whereas if you use the clutch changes are super slick. Having said that, once in second gear and accelerating hard, the thing fair fly's upto fairly rapid speeds when using the quickshifter.
Overall it's a very nice bike and maybe somewhat overlooked. I suspect that, if many prospective GS purchasers tried the 1200r before purchasing the GS, there would be a fair few go for the R, it's just a much more engaging bike.

R1250/1200R like the bikes a lot but never been too impressed with the look around the headlight area, the low slung droopy looking headlight spoils it for me, reckon it would look much better with a higher mounted traditional headlight set-up and around that I would like a small screen

R1250/1200R like the bikes a lot but never been too impressed with the look around the headlight area, the low slung droopy looking headlight spoils it for me, reckon it would look much better with a higher mounted traditional headlight set-up and around that I would like a small screen

Have to agree with you there Mike. It's one of the things I may look into doing this winter.

Long story short. I recently swapped my 2013 Guzzi 1400 California for a 2017 model R1200R sport. I also have a V85TT Guzzi. What can I say, it's been a bit of a revelation for me. I wasn't looking at a 1200r, but it was on my list of possible swaps and the deal on the California was a very good deal.
I expected it to be a bit like a lower version of a GS, but it's so much more, slightly lighter, slightly quicker, and a whole bunch more fun to ride. Mine came with a low seat and even though I've only a 29" inside leg it was still a little cramped. I've now sourced a standard height seat and it's great. My feet are almost flat on the ground and legs are at a nice angle when on the pegs. I've also added a screen and handguards, which whilst detract slightly from the look of the bike, serve a useful purpose.
When I purchased the also had an R1200RS, which was very nice, but just a little to far forward for me, the R has a much more neutral seating position, having said that, I am 65.
The R1200R is an absolute belting bike, riding position is great, it's not as cumbersome as a GS, it handles really nicely and is fairly easy to manhandle. As for the 'Quickshifter', yes it's good and particularly nice when needing to drop a gear or two at speed. I find that you have to put a whole lot more pressure on the lever for up changes, whereas if you use the clutch changes are super slick. Having said that, once in second gear and accelerating hard, the thing fair fly's upto fairly rapid speeds when using the quickshifter.
Overall it's a very nice bike and maybe somewhat overlooked. I suspect that, if many prospective GS purchasers tried the 1200r before purchasing the GS, there would be a fair few go for the R, it's just a much more engaging bike.
Thanks for taking the time to write that. It sounds absolutely spot on for what I'm looking for, so very helpful. I'm also 65 and I like the thought of going back to the style of bike I rode for the first two decades of my riding career - but with more oomph! Thanks again.

Yes, I get that, Mark. At first, I thought something similar, but the looks have grown on me

Haha. Nice one. I can’t see the pic for some reason. It might be my iPad - things that work fine on my phone don’t always work on the iPad.

Try this

08205a951b9c8caa29e9b1a10d7d54f9.jpg

Well, I’ve done the deed. Mileage is a tad high at 7,000 for a one year old bike, but it’s got a 24 month warranty with it. Pick up sometime next week. Excited!

ea5183bac5d8a01639cba9147b3c7f2a.jpg

Exactly what I thought,headlight is not right for the bike.
Lost the classic appeal that the twincam R had.
Still a cracking bike.

Back
Top Bottom