Quad lock phone mount - show me yours!

DS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys, thinking of getting a quad lock mount for the bars on my 1250, but not sure exactly where I’d position it :nenau if anyone would like to share an image of their mounted phone it would be appreciated :thumb

This was how I mounted mine using the mirror mount version of the Quadlock on an extension to my satnav bar.

IMG_20190604_165312-L.jpg

IMG_20190604_165100-L.jpg

Just a word of caution.....

Not QuadLock specific and not phone specific, but phones with magnet based optical image stabilisation do not like their cameras being subjected to repeated high frequency vibration for long periods of time - for example being attached to motorcycle handlebars. That's most of the current generation of high end smartphones with advanced cameras.

I have used Quadlock for many years now, without issue. But, the camera on my old iPhone X started "focus hunting" after a while. Apple fixed it for free. Then I got an iPhone 11 Pro last year, and a few weeks ago it started doing the same thing. They will fix it for free again, but it's not ideal.

I think it may indeed be down to bar vibration as the first it happened was right after I took the phone off the bars of the bike.

Anyway...however you go, I would make sure there is at least some isolation between bars and phone. I ended up buying a Garmin XT for nav as I don't want to kill any more phone cameras.

Slap bang in the middle, I have one on my bicycle and another on the GSA. brilliant kit.

Never had a vibration problem over thousands of miles with various Android phones, and I have a dedicated phone for satnav use anyway, currently a Samsung S8+, so not a big problem as I don't use the camera on that phone.

Took off the nav mount and put a ram on. Not pretty but works well.
eeb0cb373c50c52d41693be677d2ee10.jpg

Here’s mine

Attachments

• 0D65D1E9-2E52-4D76-881C-AD2EA954A70C.jpg
    0D65D1E9-2E52-4D76-881C-AD2EA954A70C.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 1,981
I just got one last week, but having Rox Risers it limited where I could position it.
It was either covering up the digital display or fouling on the risers.
I tried here...
7a1d955c682800f95148667f7da1239f.jpg

Then there...
928bde343b20b7ce51c930a27d9857ee.jpg

Then settled on here...
50233567801d6e1907cc227ecf6cfaeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I would like to know is,if you move the nav a little way across on its frame would there be room on the nav frame for a phone holder?

Not QuadLock specific and not phone specific, but phones with magnet based optical image stabilisation do not like their cameras being subjected to repeated high frequency vibration for long periods of time - for example being attached to motorcycle handlebars. That's most of the current generation of high end smartphones with advanced cameras.

I have used Quadlock for many years now, without issue. But, the camera on my old iPhone X started "focus hunting" after a while. Apple fixed it for free. Then I got an iPhone 11 Pro last year, and a few weeks ago it started doing the same thing. They will fix it for free again, but it's not ideal.

I think it may indeed be down to bar vibration as the first it happened was right after I took the phone off the bars of the bike.

Anyway...however you go, I would make sure there is at least some isolation between bars and phone. I ended up buying a Garmin XT for nav as I don't want to kill any more phone cameras.

I went for an SP Connect case & mount for this very reason, as they do an anti vibration adaptor, specifically so you don’t have any of the known issues. Their kit is meant to be more robust than Quadlock apparently. It’s been fine on my mtb so far. On the Duke I just stick the phone in a handlebar bag and use a Zumo XT.

I've had this issue with an iPhone X as well, and I used to use QuadLock commuting most days.

I have also had this issue with the camera on an iPhone XR, I continued to use it with broken camera and eventually the rear screen cracked and I am convinced that a big phone in a soft case with a central mount is the reason. I was on my mountain bike when the screen cracked though, cost me £149 for a new camera and rear screen.

I won’t be using it on either of my pushbikes again as I only use it for nav and I have got an old iPhone 4 that works without an active SIM card, only problem is I can’t get a quad lock case for an iPhone 4 - anyone got any ideas of a way to secure it to my bars??

R1250GSA

My setup

Attachments

• F179C126-B0FA-48BB-A640-1169DB0CA952.jpg
    F179C126-B0FA-48BB-A640-1169DB0CA952.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 1,702
  • EF61F327-F9D9-4E33-A4B4-3084F604E731.jpg
    EF61F327-F9D9-4E33-A4B4-3084F604E731.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 1,642
  • B87CC283-B003-4FF6-A2AC-7964B67E8D6F.jpg
    B87CC283-B003-4FF6-A2AC-7964B67E8D6F.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 1,685

Exact same as mine apart from I used cable ties rather than the rubber bands. It worked great on multiple bikes over several years until the newer phones with optical image stabilisation started throwing hissy fits.

But - I don't believe this is a QuadLock problem in particular. More down to the mechanical nature of the optical image stabilisation on a phone, where the lens is stabilised by electromagnets. It's designed to compensate for slow and irregular vibration from human hand holding, not the higher frequency vibes from a bike.

My set up

Attachments

• 20200401_154412.jpg
    20200401_154412.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 887
  • 20200401_175259.jpg
    20200401_175259.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 883
  • 20200401_175318.jpg
    20200401_175318.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 876
Exact same as mine apart from I used cable ties rather than the rubber bands. It worked great on multiple bikes over several years until the newer phones with optical image stabilisation started throwing hissy fits.

But - I don't believe this is a QuadLock problem in particular. More down to the mechanical nature of the optical image stabilisation on a phone, where the lens is stabilised by electromagnets. It's designed to compensate for slow and irregular vibration from human hand holding, not the higher frequency vibes from a bike.

I’ve heard about the vibration issue, but my phone X has probably done 10-15 k miles using first a ‘X’ Ram mount and this Quadlock. Nothing wrong with the Ram mount but not as easy to mount as the Quadlock.

Thanks Nutty, unfortunately the iPhone 4 is smaller than it’s minimum dimensions - looks good though.

None of my phones have had Quadlock cases available. What I do is buy a good quality tight fitting rear cover for the phone and stick one of the Quadlock universal mounts onto that. I like the Spigen transparent covers which cost about £10. The Quadlock stick on universal mount costs £11.

Back
Top Bottom