I miss my old Elsie - RD250LC parts project build.

steele01

Reaction score
Hey everyone long time ^-^ Ended up selling the f800gs last year so while I'm in between Beemer's I've been riding my Norton 650SS as a daily rider and restoring a few classics. Including a 1944 RAF Norton 16H

So a few will remember I had a rd250lc in Mars Bars that I absolutely loved ended up selling it to fund my Aircooled 250c with the plan of eventually rebuilding my other 250lc properly as a few know our family print company went under the other year so been helping dad with house stuff an having a mini career break which means things have been a lil tight.

Was so nice out today I decided to get my 250lc frame out an see how far I could get from a few bits I had an some old rough bits.

Managed to get all the chassis together an luckily got most of the stuff for the engine just gotta get all the cables send my pump off an get the engine seals.

Oh an some tyres which is gonna eat up the none existent budget haha so the plan is to get her running then deal with the bodywork tank is solid one of the side panels is a right mess originally she was mars bars like the other one but undecided between mars bars or the rz black and gold colour? What do we all reckon

How she was when I got her 12 years ago with a engine on the point of nipping up.
An everything was pretty much a mess on it.
Cant complain though uk bike matching numbers an no crank case damage.

Today's progress rebuilt the forks did the swing arm bushes an got all the chassis together.

Today's progress painted the exhausts :)

Lil bit of progress today :)

Got the order in with Norbo an did some work on the side panels

The dayglow yellow wouldn't shift in the end I tried some thinners I had from the wd build with wire wool worked great, gonna nitro the tank tomorrow an do the mudguard an the tail unit.

Quite fun progress so far.

Did a little bit of work on the tank today great news is its solid!

Need to do a bit of work on the side panels gonna sand them more then try the adhesion promoter at the moment the high build is cracking straight away as the paint from the previous owner had.

Will sus it out :)

Fair bit of progress yesterday.

Repaired a stripped footrest bolt on the frame.

Spent ages going through all the boxes looking for the stator wire clip unfortunately it must have been binned with the old Stator.. damn! Gonna hold me up slightly till I can get one luckily everything else is on the way pretty much.

Stripped the tank some more as well that's nearly stripped and looking good!

Making some progress today :) got a workshop upgrade cleared a bedroom out an stuck a table in it. With all the engine bits laid out.

Here's some of the nos parts on gonna be using had these tucked away for ages just as spares that I got 12 years or so ago when I got the bike but decided might as well use them.

Nos cyldiners
Nos head
Nos 250lc carbs
Nos pistons
Nos rings 1 side need to get the others.
Nos gaskets
An a new pattern but high quality crank from fondseca.

In other news the paint went missing in the post which is driving me nuts hopefully they get some new stuff out soon!

Was the frame, swinging arm and yokes painted/powder coated/stoved ??

AND, if you're feeling nostalgic go mars bar, if not white and blue. I always thought that that white and blue colour scheme was THE colours for an LC.....:cool:

Hi guys yep she was bars bars originally :) an that's the colour my dad had back in the 80's on his :) Frame was powder coated I painted my last one which I preferred.

I've actually got a 350lc as well which is gonna be going in a white an red stripe or white an blue stripe colour.

Cheers lads should be able to bring some pictures of the gearbox assy later on in the day just waiting for some post turning up this morning so I can get stuck in, pesky circlips haha!

I dread the day when something goes seriously wrong with my wife’s LC because it’d be me who was expected to fix it and I hate 2 strokes because I’m always slightly worried that I haven’t bled the oil pump properly.

Anything else is easy but I have a full on hatred for any 2 stroke oil pump and I’d be tempted to tell her they run better on premix :D

I love the pumps Andy an thats the sorta wife you want mate an elsie riding one! They run really great with them i always get mine rebuilt though by a lad called Arrow on the rdlccrazy website.

Ran a pump on my last 250lc rebuilt by him and it was flawless he alters them slightly which gets round some of the issue with them. On initial bleed i always drop the main fuel mix premix then bleed the pump the usual way then manually open the pump to full by hand watch the pipes one will smoke like a freight train when its bled the lines to the carb then the other will smoke the same way. Drop the temporary fuel then put normal stuff in an jobs a gooden jetting wise then can get them really bang on with the pump compared to premix well i find that anyway :)

Oh an run genuine lines not the clear ones.
:beerjug:

Might have a slight delay to getting started as the window in the room im building the engine in just crashed to the floor in the wind! Off in search of some glass to repair it. Hopefully get the gearbox going together tonight or tomorrow night.

We’ve got plenty of 2 strokes and fortunately I’ve not had to mess with the oil supply. I did bleed the LC one when she bought it and the oil in the tank looked ancient and I wasn’t happy not knowing what sort of oil it was so I disconnected all lines and forced new oil through but it still had me worried until it had run for a while.

I can go much worse for 2 stroke fears because I’ve got a Kawasaki H2 where not only do you need to worry about oil supply, you need to use a different grade plug in the centre because it’s running on expansion chambers.

H2 now that is a two stroke an a half!

Had an eventful afternoon got the window glass in an started on the engine rebuild yay! Made some epic progress so might even have the cases together an cylinders on tomorrow.
If the weathers good though wanna try do a bit on my rd250c aicrooled.

We’ve got plenty of 2 strokes and fortunately I’ve not had to mess with the oil supply. I did bleed the LC one when she bought it and the oil in the tank looked ancient and I wasn’t happy not knowing what sort of oil it was so I disconnected all lines and forced new oil through but it still had me worried until it had run for a while.

I can go much worse for 2 stroke fears because I’ve got a Kawasaki H2 where not only do you need to worry about oil supply, you need to use a different grade plug in the centre because it’s running on expansion chambers.

Andy on my Kr1s rebuild I ran on premix initially with the oil pump lines feeding a plastic bag so I could confirm it was 3.5 mls at 3000 rpm for 3 mins. Ill get my hat��

Andy on my Kr1s rebuild I ran on premix initially with the oil pump lines feeding a plastic bag so I could confirm it was 3.5 mls at 3000 rpm for 3 mins. Ill get my hat��

I’m glad I’m not the only one displaying 2 stroke paranoia :D

Oh yep fingers on the clutch :) tbh though all the yams ive had that ive kept standard tune I've never had an issue with. Just took a tuned set of cylinders of my 1977 rd250c to revert her to standard can post up about that one as well if you guys would like.

The worst bike I ever rode for seizures was an ex GP KR250 Kawasaki that was knackered when I was got it and by halfway through a season I was even more broken and knackered. It reached the point where I was that skint that I used Isopon to fill gouges in a crash helmet, resprayed it and used it because I couldn’t afford another one :eek:

I'll get something posted tonight :) just been for a test ride on todays rd250c aircooled rebuild really nice.

Nipping out for a few bits to continue the 250lc engine build again tomorrow which will be ace to do.

Back
Top Bottom