A possible route across Austria.... and an Easter egg

Wapping

Reaction score
Tourenfahrer 4/2020 edition has this suggestion that would take you from Lienz, Osttirol (south of Salzburg) to Vienna (Wien)

4ab324f4c3c42691ba4d7e99b94dc71f.png

It’ll be available to download for free in a couple of days from the magazine’s website. See other posts and threads on how to do that.

As an example of where one thing can lead to another very easily, I noticed that the German blurb (I speak not one word) seemed to mention ‘Austria Classic Tour’ in bold and something before it about 3,500 km long. Guessing (as it’s free to guess) that this might be worthwhile getting Google to hunt for, I typed the three words into the search engine. In a millisecond it threw up some ideas. A minute or less of tapping around brought me to this:

https://www.khs.info/reisetipps/motorradtouren/

Downloadable Austrian gps routes, delivered to your pc and into your lap, for free! How great is that?

Here’s the first one, downloaded and displayed in Pocket Earth Pro, using nothing more than an iPad, if only to show how easy it is to do:

34244ebdcaada1790bba6c5500a4fdc5.png

Have fun and enjoy YOUR holidays.

PS The really observant readers will notice that the tourist board’s 15 suggested routes all join together, which is where the 3,500 km’s comes into it, I guess. One instant (or nearly instant) holiday, made for you by someone else. Life really cannot be much better, surely?

I like the Lienz area, some good riding to be had over the border to Slovenia or Italy for a day out and also Glossglockner
One or two good hotels in the area too, which make an excellent base for day rides to all the areas above

Hello, JB. It is a great area indeed.

One tip for Nutty: Never confuse Lienz with Linz when tapping away at your GPS device.

Hello, JB. It is a great area indeed.

One tip for Nutty: Never confuse Lienz with Linz when tapping away at your GPS device.

Spelling is everything in Europe and here too - Linz is much further east

Saves a lot of GPS confusion

Lienz is a decent sized town in the sudTirol on the Drau river, with a good hospital should you fall off

The riding area is a much overlooked gem, we were transiting through 25 years ago, en route to Hungary on our awesome 1100 steeds and discovered a few decent hotels, east of Lienz, nearer to Oberdrauberg area
That area is a good place to stay and I have used that area for 2-3 nights stopover over every few years
There are some lakes locally which offer the chance to explore on foot or by hiring a small boat and some cracking riding - Glossglockner for a day out riding is doable and as the other side of the pass doesn’t lead to another riding area of note, then I much prefer a day over and back to Lienz
Kranska Gora and the Julian alps are nearby for a decent round trip 200 mile day, on stunning roads

Or a trip over towards northern Italy in another direction from Lienz or Drau area

The area commends itself for a stopover, but many don’t know the area exists as it’s in a valley and just ride past, or never get there at all

Back
Top Bottom