Does this seem right to you? Stainless HEL brake lines

trained_simian

Reaction score
Purchased a set of HEL brakelines. Got them in, and while they seemed maybe an inch too long in some areas, I figured better too long than too short.

The kit was supposed to be front and back, and there's enough lines, but I'm short 2 banjo bolts and one of them is wicked long with an extra hole.

Additionally, the connector from the ABS system to the front brake junction is way too long and also barely goes in. And I mean barely. To the point that it flexed and gouged the threads when the forks moved.

I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to do that...

Year of bike ? Abs system it’s fitted with i.e. servo or non servo ? I thought HEL only supplied a kit for bmw bikes if you sent them your old fittings as there are a few subtle differences between bikes even the same year and model.

Year of bike ? Abs system it’s fitted with i.e. servo or non servo ? I thought HEL only supplied a kit for bmw bikes if you sent them your old fittings as there are a few subtle differences between bikes even the same year and model.

January 1995, ABS gen 2, I believe, no servos or anything. Everything else has lined up fine.

This morning I went out to try again. The distributor is cross threaded pretty bad. Well, guess I'll buy a used one and gently replace it...

This probably won't help much, as I know nothing about your bike, but though I'd mention it "just in case"

On my old XRV750, the distributors and fixed lines are completely bypassed by HEL lines. The extra long banjo is used to connect lines from both front callipers to the master cylinder on the 'bars. one on top of the other with a washer in between and top/bottom and long banjo bolt through the lot. Now, I realise that your bike has ABS and unlikely to go like that, but is there any way that could work on your bike (e.g. connecting both with long banjo bolt to ABS pump?

Probably talkin' pish, but thought i'd try to help... :) Good luck mate.

Edit: This is what I meant (random image off t'Internet, from a site in Polish as it happens... ) :

typy_ukladow-HEL.jpg

Configuration "F" would have the long bolt on the master cyl. ["S" on the bottom yoke "bridge/collector" and "O" on the right calliper]

I thought about pulling the distributor and connecting directly to the steel lines, but a used unit in good shape was about 20 quid and I figure I can carefully do the install once they shorten the lines and send them back. I figured I need to get the tank off to swap out the fuel filter and pump anyway, so...

I have the same lines

A pic of mine which may help

Attachments

• DSCF1110.jpg
    DSCF1110.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 438
Hey, thanks for the pic. I must've damaged the threads when I disconnected lines. Didn't happen anywhere else, but oh well.

Did you find the hoses they sent to be a bit too long? The one going to the rear brake was so long it stuck out to the side, and the one going to the front brakes was so long it nearly kinked. I mailed the old lines and the new ones so they'd shorten them a bit.

Got mine from Sherlocks as a kit, the only prob I had initially was they sent me two right lines for the front, but the length was fine. I think the rear may have been a touch longer but not enough to cause a prob.

They sent them back. Still waiting on the distributor block, but the hoses are the right length now, which is nice.

I have been looking at HEL a set on Ebay for £119 , is that what you bought? I'll need a set very soon.

I have been looking at HEL a set on Ebay for £119 , is that what you bought? I'll need a set very soon.

Yeah, that's the one. I've finished most of it, and aside from 2 lines being too long, the ones going to the front calipers are too short. I'll post pics in the morning. They fit, but only barely. They don't even reach the fender mount.

And wouldn't you know it, I've stripped one of the rear brake caliper mounting threads. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson already...helicoil time...

Well I bought one of the HEL kits off of Ebay and it all fitted find, if I were being picky I'd say the rear brake pipe is an inch too long but with another cable tie I think I can live with it.
I didn't get a longer bolt with 2 holes like the one in the first picture. All the bolts were correct.

This was basically an off the shelf kit. I didn't tell them the year of my bike and I never had to send them anything either.

Attachments

• IMG_0931(1).jpg
    IMG_0931(1).jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 198
That's wild. Glad it worked for you. The front brake hoses to the caliper are both too short to use the mounting points on the fender, but they are long enough to connect to the caliper, at least.

Back
Top Bottom