Unloved for years the 1100 GS Restoration starts here

I had about three of those plastic tanks over the years, they all had bubbles. I gather the fuel will always seep through no matter what you do, so maybe best not to invest in a £1000 paint job. I put a baglux cover on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm going to paint it myself to get me through the summer then if I notice bubbles I might go for a metal tank.

In the end I kept a plastic tank for off roading, and a pristine 1150 GSA metal tank for “best”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the front end mostly off now and I have started to refurb the forks. Just painted them and fitting new seals later today. Onward and sideways at the moment :)

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 762
I have the front end mostly off now and I have started to refurb the forks. Just painted them and fitting new seals later today. Onward and sideways at the moment :)

That Smooth Silver Hammerite is a pretty good match for the original colour.

Good luck with the rest of the restoration.

The tank was a mass of bubbles which were all around the top half of the tank. I've heard of these need sealing inside but since the bubbles were above what would be the fuel line I'd say they wasn't caused by fuel seeping through the resin like I have read before. Anyway I'm getting it ready for painting at the weekend if I get time.

Pretty sure rubbed over with acetone would seal the plastic tanks..same thing happened to motocrosser tanks

I have started to make it look pretty in some areas. I'd normally strip everything down properly but I want to have a ride so I'm doing a quick job now then I'll go over some areas again during the winter. I haven't had a play yet :thumb

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 679
Caliper off ready for a new pads and refurb. Surprisingly they worked fine with no leaks, I wasn't expecting that, pads were shagged though.

Attachments

• IMG_0869(1).jpg
    IMG_0869(1).jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 631
Getting stuck in now. I have the front end stripped, forks have been rebuilt and I have fitted new HEL brake hoses and some new pads too. Thinking about the disks too. I managed to source a ABS sensor because the original was knackered trying to get it out. I also have the Tank, front beak and rear under tray sprayed in primer and with plenty of fine fill. I'll try to get some colour on this week. New seat cover also on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0933(1).jpg
    IMG_0933(1).jpg
    265 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0931(1).jpg
    IMG_0931(1).jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0875(1).jpg
    IMG_0875(1).jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 572
Pressing on, the paint has arrived today so hopefully over the weekend I'll have some colour on. Still waiting for the seat cover to arrive from Poland, ordered almost 4 weeks ago which is going to slow things down, I want to ride it now.
The engine casing under the alternator was quite pitted but it's better than it was. The wheels were a little too much work to polish so they have been painted a lacquered. If the bikes turns out good I'll sort the wheels out during the winter. On wards and upwards

Attachments

• IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 713
I managed to get some colour on and the graphics. Not as easy as I thought and it's not perfect but it's coming together now. I just need to smooth out a few creases and get the lacquer on today and my painting is done.

I'm still waiting for the seat cover to arrive from Poland, it's the first thing I ordered and that was almost a month ago. I hope it arrives soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 644
A Month of fettling coming to an end.No sign of my seat cover though so I can't take a pic of the whole bike yet, and even worse, I can't ride it :blast But I'm sure it wont be long

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 595
No idea why that came out upside down, none of the others did ?

Back
Top Bottom