Unloved for years the 1100 GS Restoration starts here

GSrick

Reaction score
She's in a pretty bad way but I've got started now, lets see how she turns out, gluten for punishment :D

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 1,298
I'm in, looking forward to this thread best of luck

Yes it is certainly going to be interesting and yes I do have my work cut out, particularly since I want it on the road before the bad weather sets in. The hardest part, if it's mechanically OK will be the wheels, they are in a bad way and heavily corroded so lots of elbow grease here.

I have restored bikes before but never a BMW and I normally work on older bikes, pre fuel injection and ecu's so I'm sure I'll get stuck if any of these are playing up.

So here is what I have done so far. Before I start to restore any part of it I needed to know how it is mechanically. I bought a service kit, cleaned out the tank and fitted a new fuel filter,fresh fuel, plugs, then I did the air filter and oil change with new filter. Once this was done I could try to start it. It wasn't playing ball at first. It seemed like a bad battery but turned out to be the started and dirty leads. I had a look at the injectors they seemed to be working and there was a decent spark, so after plenty of spinning over she started and to be honest ran quite well considering it hadn't been started for years. The previous owner say 2yrs but the last tax disk is 2014. I can't remember when we didn't need to show the old disks. I'm guessing it's not been run for more than 2yrs though.

I'll post more and see how it goes from here .

Here was today's nightmare. while taking the disks off of the front wheel 2 of the Torx bolts rounded off so they had to be drilled and eased out. Unusual for Torx to go like that, so much on this bike is seized I have lubricated every nut and bolt that I intend to remove.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 1,134
I also played with this

Attachments

• IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 1,140
Here was today's nightmare. while taking the disks off of the front wheel 2 of the Torx bolts rounded off so they had to be drilled and eased out. Unusual for Torx to go like that, so much on this bike is seized I have lubricated every nut and bolt that I intend to remove.

had that trouble too, I think heating them fist helps as I think they have red loctite on them...

Yes it's a TY80, had it for 20yrs, kids are a bit big for it now though :)

I have the tank to sort out soon. Has anyone any info on sealing the plastic tanks? I have used polyester resin before but not on a plastic tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 817
The tank was a mass of bubbles which were all around the top half of the tank. I've heard of these need sealing inside but since the bubbles were above what would be the fuel line I'd say they wasn't caused by fuel seeping through the resin like I have read before. Anyway I'm getting it ready for painting at the weekend if I get time.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 814

Back
Top Bottom