Cheddar Gorge anything open?

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a few days off this week and was supposed to be heading up to the Lakes and North Yorks Moors. I am now looking for some alternative rideouts we can do from Home. The Wife hasnt been to the Cheddar Gorge before so that is an option. does anyone know if there are any Cafes for takaways and if the public toilets ae open?
Thanks in advance.
Baz

Thanks for the response. I never said anything about walking.;) Just trying to establish if the public bogs were open as the missus would be too impressed squating behind a wall.

Thanks for the response. I never said anything about walking.;) Just trying to establish if the public bogs were open as the missus would be too impressed squating behind a wall.

I know that, no harm done and might be useful to someone.

Personally I find Cheddar Gorge disappointing, link it up with a ride between Minehead and Linton/Lynemouth.

No idea on the toilet availability.

I rode through last week and it was dead, though the pasty shop and ice cream shop were open, maybe more in the next week or so. No idea about the loo's as I live too close to for that! However, always laybys and enough hedges to have a pee in :) Nice to ride onto Priddy, worth a stop, turn right in Priddy towards Wookey, lovely picnic spot with amazing views across the levels towards Wedmore

Personally I find Cheddar Gorge disappointing, link it up with a ride between Minehead and Linton/Lynemouth.

No idea on the toilet availability.

Wife has never been, so its worth a trip up there, plus the roads through Wiltshire are pretty good.

Wife has never been, so its worth a trip up there, plus the roads through Wiltshire are pretty good.

Just in case you were considering going through Salisbury, I suggest you don’t, the A36 at Wilton and Wilton town centre have TTLs and a closure, long delays both ways all week and not easy to filter.

Thanks. Not planning to go through Salisbury.

If you go to Cheddar George prepare to be underwhelmed. I see you're Basingstoke way, if you want to experience something similar go and sit on black dam roundabout, you'll come away with much the same feeling.

If you go to Cheddar George prepare to be underwhelmed. I see you're Basingstoke way, if you want to experience something similar go and sit on black dam roundabout, you'll come away with much the same feeling.

Wife wanted to see Cheddar Gorge which is somewhere she hasnt been previously. I still think its nice ride down into the Gorge, though its not just about the final desination there are some great roads to ride on route to it.

That's what happens if you don't pick your timing, when the grackles are away it's lovely and clear for a bimble up and down or to the top, left and left again through Charterhouse, Velvet Bottom and Burrington Combe, back around and up through Shipham, stop at Lilly's Cafe for bacon and tea, then repeat :)

Worth noting the road up the gorge is covered in rocks and gravel at the moment! Between that and the traffic, it's not for spirited riding. If you're prepared to park up and hike up Jacob's Ladder, you get a great view from the top.

Loads of good riding in the Mendips, Cheddar is best enjoyed as the destination rather than the specific road to rip on.

Worth noting the road up the gorge is covered in rocks and gravel at the moment! Between that and the traffic, it's not for spirited riding. If you're prepared to park up and hike up Jacob's Ladder, you get a great view from the top.

Loads of good riding in the Mendips, Cheddar is best enjoyed as the destination rather than the specific road to rip on.

If you do the walk mentioned in post 2 then Jacobs ladder is at the end of that walk and as you are only coming down you don't have to pay.

Back
Top Bottom