No fuel pump prime... advice please

knucklemoto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2000 1150GS, abs, approx 114000 miles, with ADV tank, used daily before the gearbox went wonky. Mikeyboy rebuilt it and I've put my rebuilt gearbox back in and got the bike back together. Now when I turn the ignition on there is no pump whine. I checked the fuse - it had blown so put a known good one in, same no prime.

I've turned the engine over by hand in 6th gear with ignition on, no fuel pump noise, and no fuel from injectors when turning over on the starter.

I completely emptied the fuel tank when I took it off and washed it out. It was left in the sun and was bone dry before storing it. I couldn't take the pump plate off as two of the tiny bolts were spinning not undoing, I had hoped to change the fuel filter.

I have replaced the crossover fuel line and new quick release connectors.

The battery is good, motobatt, charges and holds a charge fine.

The RID display comes on and shows fuel level, neutral light comes on and goes out when snicked into gear, all lights work, the horn doesn't but had stopped a couple of weeks before the gearbox issue.

My bike started with the side stand both up and down, I think some others are different.

Any advice is gratefully received. I'm double stressed as my dad is in HDU after a heart attack and has been diagnosed with aggressive cancer, I really need my bike back to visit him, and our house was burgled last week, my ktm was stolen and the two scumbags came into my workshop while I was there and kicked and punched me to the ground.

I could really do with some pointers on what to test. I'm a home diy mechanic, not great with electrics but willing to listen, learn and try.

Thank you.

Jesus mate as if things aren't bad enough and then those two fu**king scrotes do that. I can't offer any mechanical advice to this situation but hope you do get sorted asap. If it's the pump that's gone I just got a spare pump off a member here and you are welcome to it just shout.
Cheers
Dub 24

Dub 24 - thank you. I can't get the plate off the back of the tank without grinding a couple of the studs off, and I can't weld / braze so that's a job for an adult as and when I have the time to take the bike off the road, but thank you so much for your offer. I don't yet know if it is the pump or a relay or a broken wire etc., hopefully someone can advise me on tests to do to diagnose it.

I'm 50, I served 16 years as a paramedic in London and dealt with a lot of violence and trauma, but having two scumbag chavs come into our house and beat me to the ground, kicking me in the head, has knocked my confidence and comfort in our home. I've been putting extra locks and bolts on all doors, and have a load of OSB coming tomorrow to make a temporary fix to the rear of the property. I'm still full of rage and disgust.

How did you wash the tank out, what did you use ?

I used the garden hose and some generic motorcycle cleaner, I can't remember the brand, but a lot of water. When I was draining the fuel I noticed some very small debris / residue at the bottom, hence the hose to rinse it.

Are you thinking I may have damaged something inside, or knocked something loose? It's an ADV tank on a standard GS.

Another thought - are all the pins in the connector from the tank on the right hand side in good order? And is the ignition wiring loom on the LHS worn? It’s been known to fail as its cable-tied on quite hard at the headstock - and can cause problems.

I'll go check the wiring and connections later. I have been tidying up frayed and worn electrics, and cleaning connections as I go, I'll keep looking. Many thanks.

It never rains, as they say. You're due some good fortune mate. I see you're in Surrey, I'm in New Malden so if there's any way I can help out please just give me a shout - I'm no mechanic though, but a good gofer. I'll PM my number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knucklemoto...
I'm not local unfortunately, but I'm wondering if there's anyone local on here that could "loan" you their tank for half an hour so you could see if it's a problem within the tank or elsewhere ? Also, is there any spark when turning it over ? I've seen many posts on here regarding hall sensor wiring problems that seem to give similar symptoms to this "Out of the Blue"
I'm by no means a mechanic or an expert in these things, but just throwing my hat in the ring.
I hope you get it sorted, and that the other things that can improve for you do. As for the ones that broke in your workshop.......
Take care of yourself, And all the very best.

(Another ex Paramedic, Formally of Surrey [Dorking], then Lancs, must have been about the same time as you)

Give 12 V to the pump directly from the battery.
Then you know if the pump is OK.

If it is OK the reason may be in the Hall sensor unit.

What a bunch of shitbags:mad::mad::mad:

Try something simple before you start stripping everything down; When the Chappy turned up at my place so I could test ride it, it wouldn't start after we'd been out for a run. We fiddled with all sorts but it turned out to be the relay(no.6 I think?)

Another thought - are all the pins in the connector from the tank on the right hand side in good order? ......

Exactly this. Happened on my R1150RS, corroded pump connector pins. Mine was intermittent, albeit with reduced electric power getting thru to the pump.

If you end up needing a tank give me a shout as I have a spare which I may be able to let go for a small'ish fee...

Where abouts are you in Surrey, as I am too and although not a mechanic am quite good at following instructions and may notice something that you have missed...

Another option.....

Hi Mate

Sounds like you have had a total nightmare. So sorry you have been through all that.

Have you fried cleaning and spraying some contact cleaner of the side stand switch? If that is not working correctly then it will prevent the pump from working. As was previously stated, you can test the pump with 12V direct to it.

Hope you get it fixed quickly.

You need a test lamp! Start a Diagnosis at the beginning

Switch on the Ignition and you want it to illuminate between Green/white wire and the brown wire at frame side of the tank connector (They are the two heavier wires) it will only Illuminate for 2 seconds!! Every time you switch on the ECU triggers the fuel pump for 2 seconds (Kill switch in centre position just to be safe I haven;t got one here so can;t check :rob )

If you have no light there then Its Bike side If you have a light?

its fuel tank side so time to check your pump and wires between the tank connector / flange and the pump itself

Also Check the grounds They need a ground to work too

You need a test lamp! Start a Diagnosis at the beginning

Switch on the Ignition and you want it to illuminate between Green/white wire and the brown wire at frame side of the tank connector (They are the two heavier wires) it will only Illuminate for 2 seconds!! Every time you switch on the ECU triggers the fuel pump for 2 seconds (Kill switch in centre position just to be safe I haven;t got one here so can;t check :rob )

If you have no light there then Its Bike side If you have a light?

its fuel tank side so time to check your pump and wires between the tank connector / flange and the pump itself

Also Check the grounds They need a ground to work too

good advice ^

It never rains, as they say. You're due some good fortune mate. I see you're in Surrey, I'm in New Malden so if there's any way I can help out please just give me a shout - I'm no mechanic though, but a good gofer. I'll PM my number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Spangle for your pm and support, it helps. When I read your message I thought you had written "a good golfer"... Each to their own...

Back
Top Bottom