CBR650R

Anthony Byrne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some weeks back I posted about two or more bikes and found you bunch of crazy folks are definitely bat shit crazy with some people having 5 plus bikes:bow

Anyhow I got the encouragement I needed and went about buying the CBR650, Ive little experience on sportsbikes so this was to be a leap before I look experience .

B1BEE95C-D138-4CB2-BD81-CBDEDDCE778E.jpg

First thoughts were sore wrists, sore back and a thinking wtf have I done:blast. After getting some guidance and watching some pros on YouTube I can see how body positioning was the key and using the core strengths of the body made riding a much better experience. Now the fun began!

BE81DA92-084C-44B1-B2F7-6BC98AAE8CFC.jpeg

6FD8B34E-6327-436A-B3CB-B0E345CBFA7E.jpeg

Compared to the adventure bike its small, light and so nimble. She doesn't really come into the fun zone until 6k+ revs and boy jaysus I had a blast on the twisty roads this weekend, I was genuinely nervous about the power I found with the bike when pushed. Suspension was above my expectations and plays well for reducing speed especially when cornering. The seat is fine and better than I thought it would be. Lovely engine noise and I wont be changing the exhaust anytime soon. The build quality is a standard below BMW but I expected that, its not a poor quality by any means and a solid bike but lacks the finishing touches that make a BMW. The dash is ridiculously low, its has a basic display setting and little to get excited about in that area. Mirrors are useless:blast although fold for track use. She is best ridden hard and fast to get the best from the machine, a type of riding that to be honest isn't my usual style but I can see why people are attracted to it. I would be worried about young people thinking ah sure its just a 650 and thinking they can handle it only to find out the hard way of what it is capable of.

I can only imagine what the super bikes feel like:rolleyes: , next stop is a track training day!

Switching back to the F800GS for a spin I felt like I was floating on a cloud and I appreciated all the comforts :)

AAF0AF18-7E0A-4A1B-8BC9-BAD80A9CB667.jpg

Ride safe

Good looking bike that Anthony, and I have exactly the same, only in red .....

I have to say, that having owned several Hondas and BMWs over the years, my conclusion is the the Honda quality really does outshine the BMs. I have a VFR 800i bought new in 2001, and it really is a fantastic bike to ride, and the finish and fit of the components is superb - not a hint of rust or corrosion anywhere.

The new CBR650R follows a couple of earlier 600s, and although having only achieved about 800 miles so far, I really am very pleased with it - recently had the first service and a full Akrapovic system fitted, which sounds fantastic - worth the cost for the aural experience alone, although the increase in power is welcome as well.

I can't say that I have found the mirrors any problem - maybe not as good as the VFR, but certainly do give a good rear view - and no vibration.

You may be slightly underwhelmed with the Honda finish just now, but I'm sure that after 5 or 6 years (if you keep the bike that long) you will appreciate just how well put together the Hondas are. I know it's probably inviting trouble, but I can honestly say that in all the years that I have had Hondas they have never once let me down. - although to be fair and add balance, I haven't really had too many problems with the BMWs

Hope you are enjoying the 650R in this nice weather.

Hi Penguin,

Amazing achievement to hold the same bike from new to see it 19 years old :okay. As you say as time moves on I might well be looking back and eating my words:blast.

I agree with the mirrors and no vibration although just cant seem to get a good view, maybe im too used to the 800gs and shouldnt be comparing. As for the Akrapovic please dont encourage me.......too late im sold:D

Another evening coastal spin last night so think its fair to say yes Im definitely enjoying it.

Ride safe

Attachments

• 30F10116-53B6-4633-B589-85EAA8DE41E8.jpeg
    30F10116-53B6-4633-B589-85EAA8DE41E8.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 221

Back
Top Bottom