F650gs/f800g

kito

Reaction score
I’m currently riding a transalp 700 and am thinking of switching to a F650gs/800gs and wondering if anyone here has done the same and how you found it ? How is the reliability on the bmw twins ?

I had a f700gs which was the updated version of the f650gs and could seriously recommend one.
Reliabllity not an issue. I sold it to buy a DucatI.:blast

Micky will be along shortly to tell you about the f800gs he had with mega mileage on and still going.:beerjug:

I have just over 45k miles on a F650 Gs and recently a F700. Mechanically they are very solid engines. We hired a lowered F650 in Marbella it was at 125,000 kms. Other than a new stator at 85k the hire company was happy with it. I rode it for four days and the motor pulled as sweetly as my 30k bike.

Thanks for the reply’s. Sounds good from the motor point. I know the top shock mount is an issue but I’m sure I can sort that. Are the many electrical gremlins ?
Anything in particular to be looking out for when going to view a bike?

My 2012 F700GS, which I've owned for six years, has been boringly reliable. I don't do massive mileage, though for the past 18 months (prior to lockdown) it was used for a 150 mile round trip commute two or three times a week unless it was icy or really wet). Also used for general leisure rides.

Only major replacement has been the head bearings which got a bit notched. Probably from all those motorway miles. If you're buying one, check the had bearings really carefully. It upsets the handling... My headlight glass (which is plastic, I think, seems to have gone a little cloudy. It's a sealed unit so you can't replace glass separately.

Other than that, the neutral sensor went wrong a few months ago. A minor pain, and meand you can't start it with the sidestand down and you have to pull the clutch in. I was on the verge of getting this replaced but went out last weekend and it seems to have mended itself!

It regularly does well over 65 mpg. Hasn't missed a beat in 25,000 miles. Hot weather with a half empty tank causes a misfire until you open the filler cap to let the pressure out, but that's ony ever happened once to me (on a 35 degree day).

Thanks for the reply’s. Sounds good from the motor point. I know the top shock mount is an issue but I’m sure I can sort that. Are the many electrical gremlins ?
Anything in particular to be looking out for when going to view a bike?

If we're talking F650 twin/F800 I wouldnt get too bogged down with the shock mount I don't believe its an issue under general use can only assume those that have issues have been on the pies & 2 up round a.moto x track. Mine got me (17 stone) & overloaded with camping gear round the Portugese Tet & does regular gentle off road stuff no issues. Stator plate failures have been reported at higher mileages they can be rewound. A Modified flywheel was introduced possibly around 2013/14? That improves cooling can be fitted to earlier bikes. Fit a cheap voltmeter to keep an eye on the electrics. There's issues/niggles as with any bike but overall they're Great bikes

Sounds good. From looking online it seems the 650 is tuned for lower down power producing more torque lower revs . That sounds ideal to me plus they are roughly about a grand cheaper so that could be used on getting better suspension. Any reason not to ?

How much are you after ? I can’t see the sale section

I have a F650, from 2008, bought on this forum from an esteemed member.
Really like it! Light and lovely to ride. Quite punchy in the mid range. When I am solo, for local rides I prefer it to my "big GS". Lacks power a bit 2-up with luggage IMO, but then again I'm used to 125bhp. Lovely at normal A-road speeds. No issues. Done some longer rides on it and it's been fine, riding position excellent. Quality of finish is excellent.
2nd hand it's a lot of bike for the money.
Easy to service, but the valve clearances (I've not done yet) looks like a bit of a faff.
Rotax engine seems to last well.

Got my 2008 F800GS in September 2011 with 14,000 on the clock. I have used it for commuting, runs out, camping trips, holidays, and the 2018 globebusters TransAmericas trip. It now has almost 135,000 miles on the clock. There have been two electrical issues and the fuel pump went down (which is a known problem with the early bikes), and the wheel and head bearings have been changed. Which I don’t think of as a problem but as wear&tear. The rest of the bike, particularly the engine, has been stunningly reliable. 85bhp doesn’t sound like much compared to the 1200’s, but in a bike this light it’s plenty. Almost the first thing I did with mine was ride to Orkney with the dearly beloved on the pillion, the mate we were riding with (on a K1) said I was quicker down a windy road than he was really comfortable with. Then on the TransAm I was easily able to keep up with the other guys who were all on 1000cc or bigger. I can see no reason to change the bike for anything newer when it does everything I want and something new would be no better in many respects and cost a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom