t7 and r1250

It's light when riding on road, but everything is a compromise, a 155 kgs bike will be "ok" on the road but I wouldn't be trying to cross continents on road on one.

I never mentioned ABS, don't think anyone has, it's a European directive that all bikes must have it anyway, it's traction control we are on about.

No, I don't think his point concerned ABS. I think he was saying that as bikes have the ABS hardware anyway, it would not be a big leap for the manufacturers to enable traction control.

I’m not sure you can call the Tenere “ really light “ when it’s something like 195kgs dry !!

It’s light conspired to a GS but heavy compared to something like my Husky 701LR with more power but only 155kgs.

A twin will always be nicer to ride than a single

No, I don't think his point concerned ABS. I think he was saying that as bikes have the ABS hardware anyway, it would not be a big leap for the manufacturers to enable traction control.

Possibly not but then adding cruise control, hill start, cornering lights, corners ABS, TFT screen etc etc...isn't a giant leap forward to add but all things together have you going from a 9 grand bike to 15 plus.

On a side note, I was checking out other KTM Duke prices, insane money nowadays.

And why is that ?

I haven’t a clue? I love singles and have ridden all over Europe on them. And the modern crop with balancers (2 in the case of modern KTM/Husky?) are lovely things

And re 155kg being ‘ok’ in the road but no good for distance??? What utter cock.

Andres

Have to say I absolutely loved my Tenere 660 single, had it at the same time I had my GS and probably did three times the miles on it compared to the GS.

I haven’t a clue? I love singles and have ridden all over Europe on them. And the modern crop with balancers (2 in the case of modern KTM/Husky?) are lovely things

And re 155kg being ‘ok’ in the road but no good for distance??? What utter cock.

Andres

Absolutely !!

The latest 701 motor with the twin balancers , as you say, is ultra smooth,and combined with the standard fit quickshifter makes it a lovely motor.And with 74bhp, will leave the heavy Tenere trailing in its wake.

It’s not a bike to tour on out of the box, but with a comfy seat and screen and a 300 mile range, it should be pretty much perfect.....Anyway , back to the thread about the heavy Tenere versus the very heavy GS.....

I never mentioned ABS, don't think anyone has, it's a European directive that all bikes must have it anyway, it's traction control we are on about.

I know you didn’t , and I know it is EU compliance which is why its there but Traction Control uses the ABS hardware that’s already on the bike. A few algorithms and the ability to modulate the throttle is all that required so as I said as almost all bikes have ABS already TC shouldn’t really add any extra cost, complexity, or importantly any weight either any bike . :thumb

EDIT : just seen the other PaulG post , so wot he said .

It's light when riding on road, but everything is a compromise, a 155 kgs bike will be "ok" on the road but I wouldn't be trying to cross continents on road on one.

I don’t know why not :nenau

Obviously enough you’d need to look closely at what you can be carrying with you but I’m not a girl, I can pack light and I used to use a 50l rucksack to carry everything for 2 weeks climbing in the Alps so I’m sure I can manage on 54l while touring on a motorbike and that’s what I get using my 3 Kriega 18l bags.

I don’t know why not :nenau

Obviously enough you’d need to look closely at what you can be carrying with you but I’m not a girl, I can pack light and I used to use a 50l rucksack to carry everything for 2 weeks climbing in the Alps so I’m sure I can manage on 54l while touring on a motorbike and that’s what I get using my 3 Kriega 18l bags.

I’ve got a Mosko Moto Reckless 80 to use on my 701LR and the Nomad kit is on the way.

Once it looks like this, I can’t think of a reason why you couldn’t cross continents on it !!

62ef1fa9c63e4ccb2997c094d806244e.jpg

We can all say how good a bike is and give reasons. Take a BMW, KTM, Husky, Triumph, Ducati or any European for that matter, anywhere further than a couple of days mixed terrain ride and your mind will always wonder, will it get me back, will it not? Take any Japanese and you know it will. Once we can agree on this we can move on. Now as far as the T7 is concerned, that CP2 engine is an absolute peach, and already proven robust. I know which of the two i would like to take away on an adventure.

Once it looks like this, I can’t think of a reason why you couldn’t cross continents on it !!

Now, we wouldn't want any scratches on this would we??:D
Great looking bike though!

We can all say how good a bike is and give reasons. Take a BMW, KTM, Husky, Triumph, Ducati or any European for that matter, anywhere further than a couple of days mixed terrain ride and your mind will always wonder, will it get me back, will it not? Take any Japanese and you know it will. Once we can agree on this we can move on. Now as far as the T7 is concerned, that CP2 engine is an absolute peach, and already proven robust. I know which of the two i would like to take away on an adventure.

Try telling that to anyone who had their 660Z Tenere recovered because the reg/rec threw a wobbler. Mine was recovered twice for that issue, once in the UK in summer and once in Germany in winter. Apparently it was such a common failure that Yamaha Europe had the parts ready as a kit and when a dealer phoned them they just put the parts in the post the same day, no questions asked.

I’ve still got the bike (I’ve had it from new in 2009) and I wouldn’t go anywhere without spare wheel bearings if using the stock wheels because mine ate rear wheel bearings and the same happened to two friends who had R model 660, both front wheel and rear wheel bearings needing replacing at the side of the road. Luckily it’s a job you can do in about 30 minutes if you’re carrying the necessary parts and tools. I also decided to check suspension bushes and steering head bearings before a trip to Norway which was fortunate because Yamaha obviously thought a minimal wipe of grease was sufficient when new. Cush drive rubbers also had a habit of failing regularly but bits of old inner tube could get you back on the road quickly enough :D

They’re good bikes but I wouldn’t trust Yamaha to build a bike fit for a few days on mixed terrain if I wasn’t going to spend a full weekend checking on their build quality and replacing stock parts with better quality ones.

The reg/rec was only an issue on the early 08/09 bikes I believe, though they never solved the constant eating through cush drive rubbers.

The reg/rec was only an issue on the early 08/09 bikes I believe, though they never solved the constant eating through cush drive rubbers.

Nor the rapid wear wheel bearings. Nothing that can’t be fixed at the side of the road so as long as the rider knows there’s a developing problem, has the parts and can fix them it doesn’t matter.

I still think they’re good bikes but ready for extended periods of riding on broken surfaces straight out of the box isn’t something I’d credit them with. The Z model Tenere was a cheap bike if you wanted something you could ride on roads anywhere in Europe and take on gentle trails if you didn’t mind the suspension bottoming but one other thing that was a bit annoying was having to drain emulsified oil out of the air box every couple of thousand miles.

Can't say I had any major issues with mine but to be fair mines was mainly used on road outwith an Iceland trip, I was fortunate that when I bought it it had every possibly extra fitted, all the Kev mods etc, Hyperpro springs and shock and a shit load of other stuff.

T7

How reliable has that Yamaha motor been? All the reports talk about how smooth and torquey it is. It’s hard to find a bad word about it. The suspension seems to be the weak point and the replacement options are feckin expensive. Taking it to a spec where it’s fit for an extended off-road trip leaves it expensive.

The motor has been around via the MT07 since 2014 so has a proven record. As for the sussies, it may well be an issue off road, I've only had it on light landy type tracks and it's been fine for me and on road it's perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom