t7 and r1250

I have both and love them both
Ask away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Performance

I'm considering one for an upcoming Touratech ACT in italy later this year. I was going to use my 1250 adv and have ordered a lot of TT protection for it but the T700 has caught my eye and may be a better machine for this. I've done 4 of these ACT trips and used a f800gs adventure which was great but even on occasion I was caught out with the weight of it. I'm just wondering will the T700 be a massive let down in relation to the 1250.

Tom

I came from an LC GS to a ATAS to a T7 and have absolutely no regrets, I should say though this is my fourth Tenere so I do have an inkling for them. The GS is a brilliant bike to ride, a proper touring bike but when you only tour for say two weeks of a year is always seemed just too much bike to me.

As for being a massive let down compared to a 1250 GS, you're not comparing apples with apples, the GS has all the gizmos and more, most of them are nice to have but IMO a lot of them are unnecessary. The T7 is very light and simple and that's probably why I love it, I very quickly forgot it didn't have a quickshifter or hill start :rolleyes: and doesn't have a TFT screen :rolleyes: but who cares it's a fun bike to ride and near half the price.

Sounds like you've got loads of cash so just go buy one, second hand ones get snapped up very quickly so you can sell it if you don't like it.

Ha ha ha Im far from loaded. I'm thinning out the garage and am off loading a Harley Road King and xchallenge to fund the deal.

bf

I have no idea what the Touratech ACT if it's an off road thing then a monster GS isn't the tool for the job, that is an out and out touring bike, forget the marketing bollocks about it being an off roader.

Tenere on the other hand has a long history of off roading and definitely has off road bias in it's set up, the gearing for example, gears 1/2 and 3 are perfect for trail type riding, well for the limited off roading I've done on mine you clearly feel how short the gearing is when you are off road.

You've probably gathered by now I'm biased but as someone who has had most bikes over the last 15-20 years I reckon my opinion is valid.

If I was given a choice of bike to fire down to the Alps on a touring holibobs, I'd jump at the GS, off road, never in a million years, too heavy, too powerful but I ain't no expert off road.

Most has been said already. One thing to consider is reliability and the Tenere due to its simplicity and the fabulous CP2 motor, wins hands down. You just don’t worry about it! You are comparing fun with function. I like both of them but somehow that ‘lesser’ bike makes me smile far more.
Light, nimble but a bit tall (no probs if you are 1.80 and over) and it goes far faster than you would think looking at the numbers. Hard seat means pain starts creeping in after a couple of hours but if you spend time standing I would say it’s better and certainly easier than the GS. No TC so care is required for fast, on road driving. Also if you are over 90 kg the rear spring suffers and needs upgrading. For long on road travel look elsewhere, the GS is king, when it works.
For ATC I suspect the Tenere will shine, well above the GS but then again all this is just my opinion which could be different than yours.

I just had a look at the ACT course. Tenere is the way to go.

Most has been said already. One thing to consider is reliability and the Tenere due to its simplicity and the fabulous CP2 motor, wins hands down. You just don’t worry about it! You are comparing fun with function. I like both of them but somehow that ‘lesser’ bike makes me smile far more.
Light, nimble but a bit tall (no probs if you are 1.80 and over) and it goes far faster than you would think looking at the numbers. Hard seat means pain starts creeping in after a couple of hours but if you spend time standing I would say it’s better and certainly easier than the GS. No TC so care is required for fast, on road driving. Also if you are over 90 kg the rear spring suffers and needs upgrading. For long on road travel look elsewhere, the GS is king, when it works.
For ATC I suspect the Tenere will shine, well above the GS but then again all this is just my opinion which could be different than yours.

Interesting that I'm around 105 kgs with my gear on and have no issue with the rear spring, also, TC.....how did we ever manage to ride before TC....I don't think I have ever required it, may be I'm just shite or may be I'm a riding god but again it's another thing that has been added to bikes relatively recently at great expense yet when I had Gixxer thous and R1's doing track days long before they came with TC I seemed to manage and was about to be sub a minute round Knockhill so wasn't that slow.

Apologies for the rant, wasn't directed at you more manufacturers for the price of bikes nowadays.

You are right. However, TC on such a light bike on a wet road would be handy, I think. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you have your preload set to get the 60mm sag?

I’d never heard of the ACT trips and now I’ve had a look I’m sorely tempted to go back to Romania and do a large part of it off road.

Time for some plotting I think :D

I contacted Swansea Jack about it but he has withdrawn it.
That ACT Romania trip was fantastic. Some beautiful and challenging terrain. I’ve done the Portuguese one , Greek and Romanian ones. They are great fun.

Interesting that I'm around 105 kgs with my gear on and have no issue with the rear spring, also, TC.....how did we ever manage to ride before TC....I don't think I have ever required it, may be I'm just shite or may be I'm a riding god but again it's another thing that has been added to bikes relatively recently at great expense yet when I had Gixxer thous and R1's doing track days long before they came with TC I seemed to manage and was about to be sub a minute round Knockhill so wasn't that slow.

Apologies for the rant, wasn't directed at you more manufacturers for the price of bikes nowadays.

All new large capacity bikes now have ABS as standard, all except very low volume like my CCM which only needs SVA , so traction control shouldn’t add any real extra complexity or cost. Im surprised the T7 hasn’t got it . I’m with you all the way smaller bike being more fun:thumb

All new large capacity bikes now have ABS as standard, all except very low volume like my CCM which only needs SVA , so traction control shouldn’t add any real extra complexity or cost. Im surprised the T7 hasn’t got it . I’m with you all the way smaller bike being more fun:thumb

I never mentioned ABS, don't think anyone has, it's a European directive that all bikes must have it anyway, it's traction control we are on about.

One of the major plus points with buying an enduro bike as a base for a dual sport one is that you can turn off the ABS and traction control if the mood takes you :D

Slightly different answer to a slightly different question but you'll get the gist...

I did the Globebusters London-Beijing expedition last year. I'm a GS owner/rider but I chose to take a Rally Raid Honda CB500X on the trip instead. After 13,000 miles, including 2,500 miles of some of the toughest gravel/broken/off-road I've ever done, if I were doing the same trip again I'd choose the same bike or a T700.

Most of the bikes on the trip were GSs or Tigers. They all had mechanical problems of some sort. The Tigers all shook their head bearings loose. The GSs had a mixture of bent rims, broken spokes and bust shocks (front and rear) - and the 850 wouldn't start at altitude. The Honda took it all in its stride.

On the faster, tarmac sections I was amongst the last to arrive in the evenings. On the rough stuff I was always amongst the first.

The problem is that a modern GS is simply not designed or built for proper adventure riding. It's too badly built, has too much electrickery and is far too difficult to fix in the field. Try changing the front shock on a 1250GSA in Tibet and you'll see what I mean.

I'm a GS believer for the UK and/or Europe and/or the rest off the first world. Anywhere properly challenging, take a lighter, simpler, better-built machine.

IMHO of course :)

I’m not sure you can call the Tenere “ really light “ when it’s something like 195kgs dry !!

It’s light conspired to a GS but heavy compared to something like my Husky 701LR with more power but only 155kgs.

Back
Top Bottom